Soi Nana bars deserted: Thai media doing everything to link and blame Omicron for nighttime woes

webfact

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

There's been talk for many years that Nana Plaza was to be redeveloped, maybe this will be a catalyst?

(There was talk for about 10 years that Washington Square was to be redeveloped......then it wasn't.......and then it was).

that would be a move in the right direction, thailand really needs to move away from its reliance on sex tourism (something it truely is the hub for). sex tourism damages its reputation abroad and damages the lives of the workers involved.

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

And answer me this - what is the logic behind being required to wear a "muzzle" while riding a motor bike ?

None, as you are most definitely social distancing lol...but, of course you still get the evil stare if you don't. Like a load of sheep.

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

Most people in the UK have been vaccinated, so if they catch Covid very few of them are seriously ill, whereas Thailand is still playing "catchup" with its Government's vaccination programme, and ill or not, you are whisked off to hospital - possibly taking up beds that are needed by people who are seriously ill - and not necessarily just Covid. And answer me this - what is the logic behind being required to wear a "muzzle" while riding a motor bike ?

It is a mask (you may wear a muzzle?) -  and there is no logical/practical reason other than local custom. I would argue that you are not 'in public' whilst riding a bike.

That said, I wear mine from the condo to 7/11 because I have to wear it there anyway  -  and I guess that I also want to show some respect to the Thais/Thai expectations. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

those Nana pics looks quite grim, better not to go there and waste the good and happy memories

Looks like Beirut. This virus as totally decimated the bar scene here, which will of course delight a few, if not more than a few.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

That said, I wear mine from the condo to 7/11 because I have to wear it there anyway  -  and I guess that I also want to show some respect to the Thais/Thai expectations. 

The condo to 7/11 lol...another expat living the dream ????

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

True enough about the vaccine take up, but lets face it this will still be pretty much the same when more get vaccinated, and I don't know the figures but it must be pretty high here now % wise.

As for the masks, I can see us being 'told' you wear them for frigging years..

If a quick google search is correct UK is around 90 per cent double vaccinated and Thailand is about 66 per cent at best. In Australia there were changes to mask rules at 70 and 80 per cent. Basically I think at some point the government can wash there hands of it and say that anyone who wanted a vaccine could have gotten one so responsibility passes from the government to the individual.

I booked a cheap ticket in February but masks are a factor in my decision of whether to go or not. Doesn't sound like fun walking around the hotel to Karon beach in Phuket wearing a mask all the time. 

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If a quick google search is correct UK is around 90 per cent double vaccinated and Thailand is about 66 per cent at best. In Australia there were changes to mask rules at 70 and 80 per cent. Basically I think at some point the government can wash there hands of it and say that anyone who wanted a vaccine could have gotten one so responsibility passes from the government to the individual.

I booked a cheap ticket in February but masks are a factor in my decision of whether to go or not. Doesn't sound like fun walking around the hotel to Karon beach in Phuket wearing a mask all the time. 

Put on a pair of trainers and claim that you are exercising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

It's just an utter disaster, I am utterly sick of everything now. Also sick of wearing these damned muzzles and being looked at like I'm evil personified if heaven forbid the thing isn't covering my nose..

Answer me this, how come the UK has approx 70000 covid cases a day still, this country now has approx 7000 a day and the UK is pretty much back to normal and we are still in this rut all muzzled up?? Both countries have similar populations.

Maybe that´s why UK have 70.000 cases aday, and 145.000 dead.

3 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Answer me this, how come the UK has approx 70000 covid cases a day still, this country now has approx 7000 a day and the UK is pretty much back to normal and we are still in this rut all muzzled up?? Both countries have similar populations.

Sadly the Thai's have made the face mask into a new form of manners so people feel obliged to do it regardless of whether it's effective or makes sense. This is a total disaster because even if it's known in the future the masks are useless or COVID goes away the Thais could still keep them around as an antiquated custom of sorts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Doesn't sound like fun walking around the hotel to Karon beach in Phuket wearing a mask all the time.

Also on the motorbike when you're driving around alone or in your car with the window up. Literally the only time you can take your mask off is when you're at home or eating. Even walking to the table you need to have  a mask on but when you sit down to take a sip of water you can take it off. Yes it's that bad here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The response to Covid and the highly selective nature of the shutdowns, would indicate the possibility of deliberate sabotage of nightlife. 

Thais are quite a resilient people. I think it's possible if the Goons shut down the nightlife as it existed before the virus, Thais will get creative; turning bars into "restaurants" is one method they're already doing. Of course, if the goons get real aggressive, they could even strangle this innate resiliency and creativity to get around a de-facto shutting down the bar/nightclub/disco scene.

Just curious: what's a 'SHA certificate' or a 'Covid free setting' (whatever that means) good for, when by now we know for sure that the vaccinations used these days do pretty much nothing at all to ensure non-transmission and preventing infection from the Cov viruses, seemingly even less so for the Omicron mutation?

Why can't the policy of choice be: let people live, and take risk groups take care for themselves, just as we did for centuries before? This virus (provably already existing since 100+ years) won't disappear, do we want to have testing craze and fear until year 2150? ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Also on the motorbike when you're driving around alone or in your car with the window up. Literally the only time you can take your mask off is when you're at home or eating. Even walking to the table you need to have  a mask on but when you sit down to take a sip of water you can take it off. Yes it's that bad here.

I saw a post on here a few weeks/months back where a "well respected" man in the medical profession was saying that families shouldn't talk at meal times! Also, a little bit later it was announced that live music would be allowed in restaurants - up to a maximum of 5 musicians and they all had to wear masks except the singer! I guess the Beach Boys or the Eagles would have a hard time getting their harmonies across!!!

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nana Plaza is closed. Go Go bars are closed. What is your point?

It seems some gogo bars now pretend to be restaurants. And I have to admit if enough restaurants with enough pretty girls would open in Nana Plaza then many it could be interesting.

I posted the picture to give others an idea what is going on there just in case anybody thought about going there to find out what is going on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, webfact said:

INN said there were no people from the eight countries banned from Thailand from southern Africa because of the emergence of the Omicron variant.

Well, people from southern Africa could still be there as the ban only came into place a few days ago. 

Plus the government said anyone from those countries that had already received permission to enter Thailand could do so until 15 Dec.