Phuket cracks down on SHA+ hotels who allowed foreign tourists out before Covid test results

webfact

2 hours ago, kotsak said:

How are they supposed to stop someone from leaving the place? Barbwire, electric fence? Or check everyone exiting and then try to manhandle them?

More than that, how can they stop the hotel taking in new guests who have a confirmed reservation!

someone didn’t think this through.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy governor of Phuket Phichet Panapong admitted that many SHA+ hotels in Phuket were openly flouting the law by allowing foreign tourists to leave their premises before their Covid-19 test results came back. 

Should be named SHAM hotels.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

no, just doorman asking everybody he doesn't know about to show him room number and check against the list, five second process.

if on the list not allowed yet to leave, politely ask the guest to return to room and wait another few hours

There are laws and there is the police to enforce it. The most a private business or person can do is to report to police. Since 2 years, all over the world, governments are forcing private businesses to enforce often illegal mandates and regulations.

This cannot end well.

Becourse of so many people think that way, we will all end up in slavery, including the supporters of this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, worldexpress said:

"Under the third that would mean they couldn't accept tourists permanently."

Is that permanent permanent or temporary permanent? ???? 

What about restaurants/bars getting busted 6, 7, 8 times? 

Hold your horses! 7 and 8 didn't happen yet!

ok, but perhaps they should also look at their own side.

When I did T&G in Bangkok, I waited and waited in my room. Was hoping to get out for dinner at least. Nope. I got the notification of the result by email after 10pm. But the result had actually been stamped by the hospital at 6pm.

So they were sitting on it for more than 4 hours.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

ok, but perhaps they should also look at their own side.

When I did T&G in Bangkok, I waited and waited in my room. Was hoping to get out for dinner at least. Nope. I got the notification of the result by email after 10pm. But the result had actually been stamped by the hospital at 6pm.

So they were sitting on it for more than 4 hours.

happen to me same - over 2h delay and if I hadn't call them they would not inform me.

They excuse that they were very busy in the morning, but the very same receptionist had time trying to chat up my girlfriend, who called hotel about results timing.

They simply don't care about guests.

Another motive for them to keep guests locked is food and drink bill from their menu.

My breakfast was served at 10:20am, all cold and dry toast. They suppose to serve at 7am and hot. Khaosan villa, lousy service from the start, driver 45 minutes late at the airport.

Many of those hotels do belong to establishment, police, army notables, on phuket most probably associated with mafia for purpose of easy money laundering. They hate foreigners and it trickles down to all personel. Their doorman is dressed in the yellow shirt, not uniform

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2long said:

In defence of the hotels, it's not easy is it? These places are not prisons, and some guests are not awaiting tests. Also, for safety there should be emergency fire escapes. Impossible to police.

not so.

"were openly flouting the law by allowing foreign tourists to leave their premises before their Covid-19 test"

All those hotels suppose to be highly monitored and secure.

At AQ hotels even windows and balcony doors are bolted, so guests cant smuggle booze or drugs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robtokyo said:

There are laws and there is the police to enforce it. The most a private business or person can do is to report to police. Since 2 years, all over the world, governments are forcing private businesses to enforce often illegal mandates and regulations.

This cannot end well.

Becourse of so many people think that way, we will all end up in slavery, including the supporters of this.

Having to stay in your room for several hours is hardly slavery. I have done a 14 day quarantine and a 7 day quarantine as a condition of entering Thailand during 2021. It doesn’t make me a slave. What a ridiculous exaggeration.

It seems to me any tourist who can’t abide a simple rule at the beginning of their stay that inconveniences them for a few hours should be arrested and immediately deported. Who needs them?

• Like 1

Many of the hotels in Phuket, especially those along the beach, have multiple entrances. I did two Sandbox stays and certainly could have walked out. I didn’t. But really, out of all the arrivals, how many didn’t  wait the 5 hours for the test result? How big of a problem is this?