Thailand’s first Omicron variant death reported in Songkhla province

webfact

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXZhssPU6rmN4GeOA7T4qnlayCbXVO7D2bTi6W.jpg

The health office in the southern province of Songkhla has reported its first fatality from Omicron variant today (Sunday). The patient died at the Hat Yai Hospital on Wednesday.

The patient was a bed-ridden 86 year old woman who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. She had received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine at Na Mom Hospital and was thought to have contracted COVID-19 from her grandson, who had returned from Phuket.

According to the timeline, the woman had a fever and productive cough on January 6th. She tested positive, using an antigen test kit, and was sent to Hat Yai Hospital the following day, where a second test confirmed the infection.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-first-omicron-variant-death-reported-in-songkhla-province/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

A little unfair to record this as a death from Omicron, it was probably a contributing factor but the lady was not actually in peak physical condition from the description given.

If it's a contributing factor it will normally be recorded on the death certificate, whatever the illness. It doesn't mean she died specifically OF Omicron, of course, but it would also be unfair to say it wasn't an Omicron death, just because she had other illnesses. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The patient was a bed-ridden 86 year old woman who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. She had received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine at Na Mom Hospital and was thought to have contracted COVID-19 from her grandson, who had returned from Phuket.

Loving families love to share.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its good to read a factual report with plenty of information so we can draw our own conclusions....

It certainly seems that Covid-19 tipped the old dear over the edge into the nether..... I wonder if a regular cold or flu would not have done the same. 

Sadly, the vaccines were not enough to prevent serious infection but I continue to believe that vaccines are effective in protecting the vast majority.

Yes normally they would leave out all the details of the age and underlying health issues. 

From the linked news article:

"...According to the timeline, the woman had a fever and productive cough..."

This is the first time I see a productive cough mentioned where the type of cough is specifically mentioned. Previously, it was always a dry cough wife all variants of the virus.

4 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

This means we need to vaccinate all children with double doses to end the pandemic!  A healthy young 86 year old dying with covid is very unusual.

Actually, the news article says "a bed-ridden 86 year old woman who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease." There must have been something more than Alzheimer's for her to be bedridden.

• Like 1

About 80 percent of infections are now Omicron variant. First person died at the age of 86. She could probably have died by a normal flu, or just a cold at the wrong time.

Feel sorry for her and the family, of course. However, it´s time to stop the clown circus. This is no longer more than a normal flu. learn to live with it and open up the country. The other option is to let everyone get infected before opening. Maybe another 5 - 10 years.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF the 86 year old lady had not caught Covid-19 (Omicron Variant) - would she be alive now or dead ???

There is only one person that can say for sure & he never let's on ................

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its good to read a factual report with plenty of information so we can draw our own conclusions....

It certainly seems that Covid-19 tipped the old dear over the edge into the nether..... I wonder if a regular cold or flu would not have done the same. 

Sadly, the vaccines were not enough to prevent serious infection but I continue to believe that vaccines are effective in protecting the vast majority.

Good report and good follow up post

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

A little unfair to record this as a death from Omicron, it was probably a contributing factor but the lady was not actually in peak physical condition from the description given.

Either she died from omicron (cause of death) or not. We are informed of this as a statement of fact. What is "unfair" about it? 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

Kind of sad that they have to blame the grandson. Maybe just leave that out of the news as it benefits no one.

like when someone gets killed by a car just leave the car out of it, not the car fault

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting that this popped up. We just went through similar.
My Mom is 80, in a care home, & in late stage Alzheimer's. She also has nodules on her lungs from childhood, which has always caused her issues. She has previously had severe reactions to vaccines, so I refused the covid vaccine for her.
We got the call that she had covid a couple of weeks ago. They were preparing to give her Remdesivir. I refused that, but requested other meds, high dose vit C via IV, and other vitamins instead. She only had a fever for one day, and is now back to normal.
I'm so sorry for this Thai woman & her family. I guess you just never know.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

The other option is to let everyone get infected before opening. Maybe another 5 - 10 years.

Nonsense.....

The omicron is highly contagious and would certainly reach a herd immunity level far more quickly than that. Just need to achieve it while still protecting those most vulnerable. 'Those most vulnerable' will also need to be protected from other endemic ailments.. I am not of a mind to chuck them under the bus.