Tom Yam Kung listed among CNN’s 20 best soups of the world

webfact

I'm vegetarian, but I did have a flaming bowl of tom yam het (straw mushrooms) at a restaurant.  They must have had a half-dozen or more fresh chili peppers in there.  Fortunately they were not finely chopped.  I like the flavor of Thai chilies and I don't need the extreme heat or somewhat evil flavor of Habaneros and the like.  We did grow some Thai peppers one year in the USA.  Perfect conditions I guess.  They were so hot even my wife wouldn't eat them.  Gave them to a crazy Laotian refugee family.

6 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Why? Because they didn't put your personal favourite soup at the top of their list?

No, because most of what they say is rubbish. Tom kha isn't my personal soup either. Look at the menu of any Thai restaurant. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Doesn't look like that on my street corner.

tg.jpg.e3fe7efcaed6bda531b50dbdb85d2de2.jpg

The picture is, I believe, of /tôm yam náam khôn/, a variant of the traditional soup, invented in the 1980s which includes evaporated milk or non-dairy creamer.  (The traditional soup is clear.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The picture is, I believe, of /tôm yam náam khôn/, a variant of the traditional soup, invented in the 1980s which includes evaporated milk or non-dairy creamer.  (The traditional soup is clear.)

My local vendors looks like thin pink slop.

• Haha 1

Great Tom yum can be sublime. I have found that it is all about the quality of the chili paste, among other factors. This seems to be the best chili paste around, and it is fairly easy to find in the supermarkets. Do not even consider any others. None are of this quality, and it is nearly impossible to make a truly great Tom yum without it. 

81pi4keXlOL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2