Tom Yam Kung listed among CNN’s 20 best soups of the world

webfact

2 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

I totally agree that Tom Yum Kung is delicious and deserves to be high on the list, but to mention CNN in the same breath is a complete joke. CNN are proven liars, ask the Covington kids, they cannot be trusted!

So no soup for you?

You've got my head spinning.

7 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

But the list is a failure if it doesn't include Khao Soi.

Yes indeed, and my favorite Thai dish when I lived in Lanna. However, with respect, can it really be called a "soup" with the thick base of soft noodles and crispy noodles in the topping? IMO it is more a substantial meal than a soup but I may be wrong.

Khao Soi: 15 Min Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Noodle Soup

• Like 2

The photogrph is not genuine Tom Yam Kung as any Thai will tell you, it is Tom Yam adulterated with canned milk or canned coconut likely or unlikely butter/cream/yoghurt or yesterday margerine,

Tom Yam is neither a consomme, soup nor a cooler like a gazpacho or a Vichysoisse but a broth.https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › broth

The meaning of BROTH is liquid in which meat, fish, cereal grains, or vegetables have been cooked 

Tom Yam however  is one of my favourites here if home made.

Ofc course anyone can label or add anything but in my view cream, milk or coconut are not part of the recipe as others note. Equally good and not hard to make, Vichysoisse, Cullen Skink, Pea and Ham and of course the pinnacle of all Sopa de Mariscos the Lobster Bisque.

as Tom Yummy said" LOS for  all the broths , broth all its got the lot".

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I had Sicilian shredded chicken soup for breakfast just now.

Just right on a chilly morning.

I really like the Thai noodle soup with shredded chicken. They put spring onions and fried garlic in it. They don't always use shredded chicken and I avoid those that don't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, and my favorite Thai dish when I lived in Lanna. However, with respect, can it really be called a "soup" with the thick base of soft noodles and crispy noodles in the topping? IMO it is more a substantial meal than a soup but I may be wrong.

Khao Soi: 15 Min Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Noodle Soup

Very good point.  All I know is it is my favorite dish in Thailand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:
11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So the crab meat omelette at 1,000 baht is not up for discussion?

Ha ha... not today, or tomorrow, or the next day...????

This come up a few years ago ,when Bangkok got  its first Egon Ronnie 5 star awards .

The menu was wrote in Egon Ronnie speak ,but as mtls2005 said it was basically a crab meat omelette,at 1000 baht.

Must agree a good Tom Yam takes some beating ,but who come up with the idea of putting evaporated milk in it ,some restaurants  near here do it ,very nice  to,a bit different from the wife's Chow Bann ,village recipe. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sunnny said:

Thai cuisine is greatly overrated. 

That says more about your palate than it does about Thai cuisine.

(That said, there's no single such thing as "Thai cuisine".  It's highly regional.)