Thai Tourism and Sports Minister and Ministry of Public Health to propose “Test&Go” to resume possibly in February

webfact

"The Thai Tourism and Sports Minister is planning to propose to the CCSA (Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration) the return of the “Test&Go” tourism program as early as this February to attract a year goal of about eight million international arrivals while expecting substantial tourism income."

And then goes on to explain all the hoops and restrictions that the aforesaid 8 million will have to adhere to in order to enjoy their "holiday" i.e. :-

"the new “Test&Go” plan could proceed under strict guidelines of the Public Health Ministry. Visitors are required to conduct two RT-PCR tests which were on the first and the sixth day of their arrival. Other tight preventive measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19 and possible clusters should be further discussed with the Ministry."  (Which could mean that further restrictions may be introduced depending on the progress  of Covid - 19)

So, I'm a tourist looking for a hassle free 2 or 3  weeks holiday of sun and fun where I can enjoy a few beers on the beach during the day, and enjoy the night life that Thailand is famous for when the sun goes down? 

Erm, no, it doesn't work that way any more - it all reminds me of the Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch ("I've got a slug?"............ "Then it's hardly a replacement then, is it? )

"8 million providing substantial tourist income"? I am tempted to say "In your dreams, pal!", but he might dream up something even more "believable" ???? 

• Like 1

Just now, sambum said:

"The Thai Tourism and Sports Minister is planning to propose to the CCSA (Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration) the return of the “Test&Go” tourism program as early as this February to attract a year goal of about eight million international arrivals while expecting substantial tourism income."

And then goes on to explain all the hoops and restrictions that the aforesaid 8 million will have to adhere to in order to enjoy their "holiday" i.e. :-

"the new “Test&Go” plan could proceed under strict guidelines of the Public Health Ministry. Visitors are required to conduct two RT-PCR tests which were on the first and the sixth day of their arrival. Other tight preventive measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19 and possible clusters should be further discussed with the Ministry."  (Which could mean that further restrictions may be introduced depending on the progress  of Covid - 19)

So, I'm a tourist looking for a hassle free 2 or 3  weeks holiday of sun and fun where I can enjoy a few beers on the beach during the day, and enjoy the night life that Thailand is famous for when the sun goes down? 

Erm, no, it doesn't work that way any more - it all reminds me of the Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch ("I've got a slug?"............ "Then it's hardly a replacement then, is it? )

"8 million providing substantial tourist income"? I am tempted to say "In your dreams, pal!", but he might dream up something even more "believable" ???? 

(P.S. "Flip Flop"!)

Good that it seem to be some thoughts to open up the country , the test and go plan is somewhat ok , but the second PCR test should be scraped , and the reason is the there is an incubation time for Omicron could be as short as only 4 days , so those who attract the virus might have got it here in Thailand, and that along with requirements of quarantine is not fair to them. As they started to do in Europe, consider Omicron as regular cold , mass testing don't make any sense any more for this variant... 

• Like 1

They need to decide on a policy, make it clear to everyone and then stick to it.

All this ambiguity over Test & Go being available, what the insurance requirements are, what the insurance covers, what will be open when you finally get here, what happens if you test positive etc. is a nightmare for tourists. 99% will just book something easier. 

Ironically, the only tourists who will put up this are the mongers desperate for a bunkup after 2 years without. The very tourists they claim they don't want.

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Omicron’s incubation period looks like it’s around three days. Do people get nervous in picking it up locally before second test?

Exactly. 

Provide 72 negative test on Departure, then enter via "Test and Go" testing negative.  Then pick it up locally and testing positive later only to be thrown into quarantine. 

Typical 'Thai logical' system that always punishes the Foreigner!  Thais will do anything to save face, I guess!

7 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

They should use a better test than rtpcr its not reliable for omicron and virtually everyone will get omicron, the sooner this variant is done the better 

any test for Covid has always been a trailing indicator of infection.
With today's technology, it's actually impossible to detect covid the moment it is introduced to a person's body.
Even after introduction, it is not a forgone conclusion that one will actually be infected.
the idea of an instant test is completely ludicrous.

The new variant is detectable 2 or 3 days after infection.
the original virus, alpha though Delta was 5-7 days
This is most likely why Thailand, "and many other countries" require not only a PCR before flying, but one upon arrival.

6 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

TOURISTS ARE NOT COMING COMING BACK IN THE NUMBERS YOU PREDICT UNTIL YOU DROP ALL RESTRICTIONS.

YOU CANNOT HAVE THOSE RESTRICTIONS AND THE TOURIST NUMBERS YOUR CURRENT HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY WAS SET UP FOR.

WE NEED TO LIVE WITH COVID LIKE WE LIVE WITH INFLUENZA. GET USED TO IT.

IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED ADDED PROTECTION GET ON THE VACCINE MERRY-GO-ROUND.

ITS ALL COMMON SENSE.

That last point is why they are all still swimming around and around in that round tank going exactly…….nowhere!

"ITS ALL COMMON SENSE." That is certainly not the trait of this soldiers government.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

They need to strike the work "Strict" from their vocabulary....the terms "strict & tourism" do not mix well!  If you want tourist to return to Thailand, then open up the country & forget about anything "Strict"!  The one think tourist hate is anything "Strick"...that's why we are going on vacation, not to be restricted while we are there!!

"that's why we are going on vacation, not to be restricted while we are there!!"

Then sorry, you've picked the wrong vacation destination, mate!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

TOURISTS ARE NOT COMING COMING BACK IN THE NUMBERS YOU PREDICT UNTIL YOU DROP ALL RESTRICTIONS.

YOU CANNOT HAVE THOSE RESTRICTIONS AND THE TOURIST NUMBERS YOUR CURRENT HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY WAS SET UP FOR.

WE NEED TO LIVE WITH COVID LIKE WE LIVE WITH INFLUENZA. GET USED TO IT.

IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED ADDED PROTECTION GET ON THE VACCINE MERRY-GO-ROUND.

ITS ALL COMMON SENSE.

That last point is why they are all still swimming around and around in that round tank going exactly…….nowhere!

The upper case, block capitals really make your case more persuasive.

• Haha 1

I'm coming in early Feb for 4 months for essential personal reasons, having been unable to travel for nearly 2 years.

First time I can say I'm not looking forward to coming! And, having to cough up nearly £1k for a decent ASQ place (impossible to do sandbox because all travel must be booked at same time and I booked flight to BKK in October, expecting reopening by December...)

The tourist season is dead, even if test and go resumes. Particularly with the idiotic stance of hospitalisation of asymptomatic c19 cases. Way too much paperwork to do as well. 

Fact is, c19 new variants are  seeping across land borders, regardless of international arrivals, and it is well established in the local population for a long time now. The hysteria is particularly weird when you consider there are circa 25k road deaths a year...

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 2

Any news on the re-introduction of ‘Test to release’ … Thai Pass, one night in a hotel, one Rt-PCR test? Two PCR tests is stress inducing and expensive, especially as in the UK, we’re pretty much finished with Covid restrictions now. So weird to see the theatre of wellington’s, visors & space suits in Thailand when back in the UK, even staff in vaccine centres need nothing more than a face mask!

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

There's a lingering trust issue though. As they've suspended Test & Go on a whim previously, that could obviously happen again. Any potential tourist would be well advised not to book too long in advance and stay tuned for updates / more flip-flops.

I also doubt that they can find 8 million people who will be willing to jump through these hoops. At least 3 PCR tests (before departure, upon arrival, 5-6 days after arrival), potentially more if needed for the trip back home. Insurance. The cumbersome Thailand Pass registration process. The tracking app. The prospect of spending the holidays in quarantine if a test returns positive. It all adds up.

Even if they dropped all restrictions, they would not have 8 million tourists a year. Ever again, in our lifetimes. Everything has changed. Thailand is less relevant than ever, and nothing is being done to improve the tourism, or ex-pat experience here. Nothing is being done, by the good for nothing goons.