Thai gov considering new “Wellness Sandbox” scheme to boost economy

webfact

te.jpg

By Natcha Patanasophon

The Center for Economic Situation Administration (CESA), chaired by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-ocha, agreed to the proposal to bolster Prachuap Khiri Khan’s Hua Hin district and Phetchaburi’s Cha-am district as Thailand’s new health tourism destinations.

Both districts are currently not a part of “Blue Zone” provinces, where tourist sandboxes are located, which only include Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Chonburi, Kanchanaburi, Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga at the moment. The next sandbox will be launched in Trat, but only on the island of Koh Chang, on February 1. 

The new scheme is called “Thailand Wellness Sandbox” and the Tourism Authority of Thailand will now work with other related agencies to come up with an implementation plan to revamp Hua Hin and Cha-am’s image as medical tourism destinations and create branding for value-added health products and services.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/36813/thai-gov-considering-new-wellness-sandbox-scheme-to-boost-economy/

ti.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-01-22

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

I think the ' sandbox '   term is dead and gone ......   it's been hammered to death.  

give it a rest and admit defeat   !      Thailand as a tourist destination is finished 

Why do you think that? When the last test and go facility was introduced many people poured in. There is a desperate large number of people suffering Northern winters who have been restricted for a long time, very anxious for a holiday. When and if Thailand gets its entry restrictions relaxed, they will come. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

You may be correct as those locked up are desperate to travel again,  however I doubt the numbers will ever be tourist numbers as in 2018 again.  Also,  many are changing their holiday destinations because they were tired of Thailand's  CoE, QR, 50k insur, test&go, thailand pass, SHA+,AQ, Sandbox, PCR, and whatever other requirements were needed that I've missed.  Recently it was noted thousands of Australian families Booked Fiji instead of Phuket, Samui and Bangkok.

All these chopping & changing sound of desperation imo.  

Well it is not surprising an uncoordinated response has been presented, even that of EU and UK has been a bit jumbled.. we have been dealing with an ever changing situation and differing variants.... and politicians are not the best administrators. Given time, maybe a lot of it, all the stuff you mention will be history, and Visa Exempt tourists will be coming.... only the new 300 baht charge to worry over. 

The Fiji Islands may look less attractive to Oz people now (I know, Tonga is not Fiji).... but Western tourists to Thailand numbers was in decline pre-Covid anyhow.... post Covid it will continue, and we will see mass numbers from China, India and nearby to replace them. 

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Totally agree,, I'm a UK citizen, and the UK were and still are reporting true figures of covid infections, and recently reported over 200,000 in one day,  unfortunately due to this corect reporting, other Countries put the UK on there Red lists,, Thailand has never reported the true infection rate during the pandemic... 

And what advantage is reporting people with symptoms nothing more than a common cold...... not only are you screwing up local businesses but also, as you said, making life extremely difficult for anyone wanting to travel...( I personally wouldn't even transit through Uk atm due to all the extra BS). Omircon is rampant everywhere, most people get on with life or maybe do a home test.....I know of several people who got tested just to get time off work or else they want the positive cert to avoid the booster shot

weve seen an array of dubious schemes put into being as they think the can cheat money out of people,thats the honest truth of it based on racism,returning thais arnt treated in such a way and thais here arnt either,where can one get a free pcr or rapid testing kit?easy to acquire many places in the local region taiwan sing,japan,sk,hk for example.accurate nos come along with it.the new vaccine they mouthing off about inventing?millions of dud vaccs bought from china in full knowledge theyre more expensive and less effective than the worldwide used alternatives.absurd actions constatntly,hundreds a day killed on roads but the roads arnt closed WHY?its obviously far more dangerous driving than walking so lets extrapolate their logic.!!save more lives for sure.why people will come?i dont know but its cold in USA and europes the only reason i can see.the whole embassy entry procedure is about as rucked up as only a bunch of corrupt incompetent racists could make it,wheres the Media when u need em?they should surely report on such things but.....ah not on the PC agenda,it dont count right!?

• Like 2

Test and Go and sandbox are not too onerous per se, especially for tourists who intend to stay put. What puts people off is the abrupt rule changes that throw their carefully made holiday plans into chaos. A few will come, but not many until there is a longer period of stability.

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 2:57 AM, webfact said:

The new scheme is called “Thailand Wellness Sandbox” and the Tourism Authority of Thailand will now work with other related agencies to come up with an implementation plan to revamp Hua Hin and Cha-am’s image as medical tourism destinations and create branding for value-added health products and services.

So basically an Intensive Care Unit with bargirls and booze ? What's not to like ?

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Numbers are relative,,, we suddenly had a lot of tourist looking types around Pattaya and I saw quite a few suitcases being dragged about. 

Quite. I was on Koh Chang over New Year and the island was virtually fully booked.

It may come as a surprise to many on here but hotels are not particularly interested if guests are domestic or international, I suspect many actually prefer the former.

• Confused 1