Are Chiang Mai bars open now / what are the current restrictions re bars? (25 Jan 22) Please share.

scorecard

The governor told the news to not report too much, they never really stopped serving since the omricon thing. Bars are still limited but enough is open if you look for it, it is more that the time they close differs per day, week and bar / area. CM needs the money and know they can't keep closing.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

There are a few that have converted to serving food in an attempt to survive but the vast majority are closed and some closed for ever. What is more pertinent is are there many places that attract many customers and so have a lively atmosphere. And the answer if very few because locals are not going out in any numbers and there are virtually no visitors. The old city is a graveyard as is the Night Bazaar, so only parts of the Nimmanhaemin area are attracting younger people in numbers. However even there the lack of adherence to regulations and large virus outbreaks led to a police crack down. A daytime stroll down a few sois showed some areas where 50% of businesses have gone under. So any visitor will have an interesting time hunting down places that are open.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brommers said:

A daytime stroll down a few sois showed some areas where 50% of businesses have gone under. So any visitor will have an interesting time hunting down places that are open.

Many are closed yeah, but plenty are still left. Day time isn't a great time to see when places are open, plenty are open, many until 4AM, also around old city, loi kroh, santhitham, nimman. Just not easy to spot for people who never go out I guess ???? 

Many places now work with a system where all looks closed, but CCTV is in the front, when you stand there, doors might open. Some however only do for locals and known expats, just follow the noise.

In terms of bars with many girls as most like that, yes, this is much harder / fewer around.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Legally, restaurants can serve in the city until 11 p.m. A good number of places that used to be bars are now restaurants. 

But officially , booze until 9PM only ... not great for a "restaurant-bar" ????

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, brommers said:

There are a few that have converted to serving food in an attempt to survive but the vast majority are closed and some closed for ever. What is more pertinent is are there many places that attract many customers and so have a lively atmosphere. And the answer if very few because locals are not going out in any numbers and there are virtually no visitors. The old city is a graveyard as is the Night Bazaar, so only parts of the Nimmanhaemin area are attracting younger people in numbers. However even there the lack of adherence to regulations and large virus outbreaks led to a police crack down. A daytime stroll down a few sois showed some areas where 50% of businesses have gone under. So any visitor will have an interesting time hunting down places that are open.

CM is not just old city or Night Bazaar. I'd say drinking places abound everywhere and seem buzzing.  "locals are not going out in any numbers" is funny because the places I see when I drive in the evening seem all quite busy. Of course if you are inside the moat and a "daytime stroll" is your way to look for places, then I agree.

I did a drive around a few days ago and bars open along the moat, loy krok open, if you want a drink you can find it. The area around Chiang Mai Gate has bars open. But do not wait until late to go out if you do every thing will be closed

In CM the Pool League restarted a couple weeks ago.

Several Bars in the League are opened until 11pm, at least about 8. If I am correct. Mondays; Tuesdays & Fridays.

in addition a few other Sports Bars and a new Riverside Restaurant & Bar recently opened, Mae Tai.

UN Irish, until 11pm ;

Renegades open until 2am

I live in Mae Rim, quite a few there in Mae Rim Plaza. One other has been opened almost throughout Covid!

if you look you will find!

Also many Thai BBQ places are packed!

Of course the Night Bazaar is dead, no tourists and several places have closed, true. But you can certainly find entertainment if you look.

Karioke Bars in Chang Phuak also buzzing! All Thais of course, plenty Bangkokians here every weekend. A lot go to Mon Jam, busy there too!

Not the same as before, but not quite the doom and gloom as some have eluded to.

A few Bars in Galate Market open as well until late! I went to a party there last week!