Prime Minister to Fly First Commercial Flight to Betong Airport

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Prime Minister will fly on the first commercial flight to Betong Airport in Yala province to preside over the airport’s official opening on March 14, 2022.

One way ticket?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the government’s regional development plan, the airport will serve as a hub connecting the three provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat, and Yala

I know they love their hubs, but Betong is extremely remote, which was the motivation for building an airport there in the first place. It certainly doesn't "connect" to Pattani and Narathiwat, unless they plan on having interprovincial flights, which seems extremely unlikely.

6 hours ago, khunjeff said:

I know they love their hubs, but Betong is extremely remote, which was the motivation for building an airport there in the first place. It certainly doesn't "connect" to Pattani and Narathiwat, unless they plan on having interprovincial flights, which seems extremely unlikely.

The location of the new airport might stimulate people to travel to the other two provinces on their way back to Hat Yai. I guess that's the idea.

Even the trip to Yala takes well over two hours, so anyone wishing to travel to, let's say, Narathiwat, would just fly to Narathiwat directly.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

The location of the new airport might stimulate people to travel to the other two provinces on their way back to Hat Yai. I guess that's the idea.

Even the trip to Yala takes well over two hours, so anyone wishing to travel to, let's say, Narathiwat, would just fly to Narathiwat directly.

You're right, that was probably the idea - from someone in Bangkok who had never been to Betong, or looked at a map. I've pinned the location of the new airport below, just to illustrate how fanciful the idea of anyone popping over to Narathiwat from there really is.

I do hope the airport is a success, though - I used to travel to Betong fairly often, and hated the long, hair-raising van rides to get there.

Screenshot_20220311-104945.jpg

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Misleading headline, he actually (as stated in the article) flying ON the first flight.

Is there a lack of sub-editors?

And here I thought as the headline stated he was flying the first commercial flight.....then as I read the article further I realized he would be flying as a VIP passenger, with all of the amenities of sitting in seat 1A so he could have the extra leg room. Wonder if he will be surrounded by his entourage and if anyone from the public, as a regular passenger will be allowed on board.  Heshould hae just flown in and landed in a military jet.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And here I thought as the headline stated he was flying the first commercial flight.....then as I read the article further I realized he would be flying as a VIP passenger, with all of the amenities of sitting in seat 1A so he could have the extra leg room. Wonder if he will be surrounded by his entourage and if anyone from the public, as a regular passenger will be allowed on board.  Heshould hae just flown in and landed in a military jet.

I checked the Nok Air website and there is no way to book a seat without contacting the airline directly by phone. Beyond March 14 there are no flights mentioned at all in the online booking system.???? 

I start to think this is a one-time flight, which is only flown for the PM, his entourage and some other invitees as a show of accomplishment. Not sure if there will really be regular flights after this one.

Edited by MarcelV
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MarcelV said:

I checked the Nok Air website and there is no way to book a seat without contacting the airline directly by phone. Beyond March 14 there are no flights mentioned at all in the online booking system.???? 

I start to think this is a one-time flight, which is only flown for the PM, his entourage and some other invitees as a show of accomplishment. Not sure if there will really be regular flights after this one.

So a possible military location has been opened under a false pretense....

• Like 1