Number Plates on New Bike's.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the procedure of Number Plates when purchasing a new bike in Thailand ??

I see new bikes with Red plates - How long do these have to stay on the bike ?? Does one have to go back to the dealer for them to change them ??

Can one choose a new number or maybe even make a private number plate ??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

You keep the red plates until your plates are ready, can take weeks or months, dependes where you are. 

You can choose numbers if available, but it will cost you. Ask where you intend to buy your new whericle, they will know 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You keep the red plates until your plates are ready, can take weeks or months, dependes where you are. 

You can choose numbers if available, but it will cost you. Ask where you intend to buy your new whericle, they will know 

White plates are available immediately just the dealerships like to drag their feet registering the bike/car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is an article in Bangkok post, and also other sourches due to red plates in BKK, or just the general rules.

Night driving with red plates, you have apply for permission, and leaving the district to. I did travel out on district with all my bikes, and never had a problem, and is not really practiced ascfar I know. I also bought a bike from another district where I lived, so they did not even bother giving me a red plate, and I drove around without licens plates. It was a big bike, and I took it for a ride around the North.

Google “Red licence plates drive us to distraction” Bangkok post

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

Most provinces don't issue red plates for bikes, you just ride without, but a few provinces issue them.

You ride like this until your dealer gets you the white plates (more than 30 days is illegal though, but afaik police isn't enforcing it).

The DLT has the white plates in stock, so if the dealer has the paperwork it's a matter of an hour at the DLT or so to get them.

But dealers like to drag this process out, sometimes on their own, sometimes because the head office has to send the documents to them, usually a mixture of both though.

The official colorful "vanity plates" which you see on cars aren't available for bikes.

You can choose numbers to a certain degree if you are willing to pay for it, if you don't pay you get a random number. But this is a bribe to the person at the DLT, not an official payment. Your dealer probably knows how to arrange this if you want it.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Most provinces don't issue red plates for bikes, you just ride without, but a few provinces issue them.

You ride like this until your dealer gets you the white plates (more than 30 days is illegal though, but afaik police isn't enforcing it).

The DLT has the white plates in stock, so if the dealer has the paperwork it's a matter of an hour at the DLT or so to get them.

But dealers like to drag this process out, sometimes on their own, sometimes because the head office has to send the documents to them, usually a mixture of both though.

The official colorful "vanity plates" which you see on cars aren't available for bikes.

You can choose numbers to a certain degree if you are willing to pay for it, if you don't pay you get a random number. But this is a bribe to the person at the DLT, not an official payment. Your dealer probably knows how to arrange this if you want it.

Thankyou very much for this information, it has been very informative - Much appreciated.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/20/2022 at 11:21 AM, Hummin said:

It is an article in Bangkok post, and also other sourches due to red plates in BKK, or just the general rules.

Night driving with red plates, you have apply for permission, and leaving the district to. I did travel out on district with all my bikes, and never had a problem, and is not really practiced ascfar I know. I also bought a bike from another district where I lived, so they did not even bother giving me a red plate, and I drove around without licens plates. It was a big bike, and I took it for a ride around the North.

Google “Red licence plates drive us to distraction” Bangkok post

So this maybe the reason all rental shops are telling me I can't take a nearly new rental bike with red plate outside Phuket to Phang Nga or Krabi....!

They say maybe if the police stop you, they get picky ..., I never understood why...