International Driving Licence UK. How long can you use it? Insurance?

Hi 

I've just bought a car. I have a valid UK International driving License and a UK license. 

How long can I drive on it? And my Thai insurance OK? 

I'm getting a Thai Driving licence. I've just applied for the Letter of RESIDENCY. So a couple of weeks. 

Thanks again 

Gee 

Will is right, I think

If you are in Thailand for more than three months you are supposed to get a Thai driving license.

After that I suppose technically your insurance could refuse cover becuase you don't have the correct license?

When you get your Thai driving license I suggest you get a Thai International driving license as well as when I showed them my international license (issued in Dubai) they would not accept it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gee Bangkok said:

So I've been in Thailand 5 months. 

And I only bought a car last week. So do we think it's 3 months from buying a car? 

Ooooo.....I'd be careful there. 

An insurance company might count from when you arrived.......anything to get out of paying up.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Most insurance policies will be voided after three months...if you are on a tourist visa you can only drive for 60 days.....I THINK.

Information on this is somewhat vague, it’s seems there is no clear documented information. 

As I understand it, it depends on whether the foreign driver is on a resident visa (I.e non-imm) or not & from which country their current DL was issued.

1) Tourist - DL in English Language- Can drive in Thailand w/o IDP.

Duration is unclear and may depend on individual insurance.

2) Tourist - DL not in English - needs an IDP.

Duration, as above.

3) Resident - needs a local Thai License. 

Reality - it’s a big grey area, no one seems bothered ! 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

When you get your Thai driving license I suggest you get a Thai International driving license as well as when I showed them my international license (issued in Dubai) they would not accept it.

I was told (in Bangkok) that I can't have a Thai international driving permit with a temporary Thai driving licence. I have to wait until I can renew it for a 5 year licence, and then I can get one. Is this something that varies in different offices?

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

no one seems bothered ! 

Until you have an accident and try to make a claim....555

As I wrote, no one seems bothered….

Last accident I had was over 10 years ago, no one asked for my DL.

My Wife, about 5 years ago, no I’ve asked for her license. 

Experiences will if course vary, but at the moment it seems Thai car insurance companies are not at the stages of using any means possible to avoid pay out. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I was told (in Bangkok) that I can't have a Thai international driving permit with a temporary Thai driving licence. I have to wait until I can renew it for a 5 year licence, and then I can get one. Is this something that varies in different offices?

No… the 2 year license is considered a temporary license - we can’t get IDP’s on a Temp license.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Hi, yes, you might be right on that. I did not get my Thai International driving licence until last year when I got my 5 year license. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Yes, this is true.

I think I had an idea I wanted to apply for an international license, on my first 5 year ticket, they said no problem but did question my logic, the international permit needed to be renewed every year and I only wanted it to ride in Malaysia and Laos, where the Thai one is valid anyway. I think a Thai international license is one of those things that you might want to prepare just before an overseas visit rather than keep in your wallet.

• Like 1

Can you renew an expired 2 year Thai driving license online(didn't realise this was classified as a temporary license)  without going to the office again?

I had one pre Covid. It would be handy if I got one before I got back.