Western (anxiety) Medicine in Chiang Mai

johanvanvan

Hello,

I have been living in Thailand for the last month and will be living in Chiang Mai for a year or so.

I am under medication for anxiety disorder. The medication I use is Lamictal (name of the molecule : Lamotrigine). It is not as common as the classic anti depressants and anxiety pills but it is quite a well known medicine and I know they have it in Thailand.

Does anyone know where I could find such medicine here in CM ?  I am thinking there could be a larger, more "international" pharmacy here perhaps (?)     I know there is the hospital option as well but I'd like to avoid that hassle if possible.  There is also the internet order option which I could use in the future but things are so slow here in Thailand, I cannot afford to wait 7 to 10+ days for a delivery (It's the thai new year week). I will likely go into withdrawal symptoms.  That being said, if you have any trustworthy / efficient websites, I'll take the info.

Thank you.

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

(3) Dara Pharmacy  https://goo.gl/maps/8fmbdfEezV72

I recommend this Fascino, not far from Dara https://goo.gl/maps/axGqEbDjbckLzTcf7 (parking behind the building, pass the booth with the security guard)

They also have many things, but from my experience they are a bit cheaper.

The advantage of Dara is that they are open until 23:00 or so, in case anybody needs some medicine at night.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1

@Sheryl

Thank you so much for you answer !

I just went to the Hospital and they wanted me to pay 10.000 Baht for 1 month treatment (yes 10k !)  - In France, one month treatment would cost me the equivalent of 500 Baht, before the social security reimbursement -   I said I will just take 1 week treatment (2.5K) and figure something else out, avoiding withdrawal symptoms while I search for alternative options.

I was going to order from internet but Medtide is closed during this vacation.

I will definitely go to the pharmacies that you have listed and ask the locally made versions of Lamictal.

** By Western medecine, I guess I meant western "invented" rather than western "produced". I am fine with locally produced **

Again, Thank you for taking the time to give such an detailed answer. Very much appreciated.

Will update this Post in the coming days, informing future readers of the pharmacy that was able to provide the medecine and the price at which they sell it.

• Like 1

If you're going to be staying in Chiang Mai then you have an excellent opportunity to discover the natural healing that Qigong, a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine can offer. There are number of well reputed schools there which you might find interesting.

Start by reading the web page below and see what you think. Anthony is my instructor and his new book is excellent.

https://flowingzen.com/17035/how-i-discovered-and-also-tamed-my-anxiety/

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

Peera Pharmacy is on the road into the Old City, about 50 metres up from Thapae Gate. Turn left off the inner ring road. The lady in there speaks very good English, and sells meds at competitive prices.

You can also ask on LINE, Peera Pharmacy.

• Like 1

Try St Johns Wort and ashwangoda. They work. I tried pills for anxiety did nothing. Also try high vit C and cod liver oil. 

There is science behind all of these. Imo they work.

Covid ruined my life. These herbs and vitamins turned it around somewhat.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Try St Johns Wort and ashwangoda. They work. I tried pills for anxiety did nothing. Also try high vit C and cod liver oil. 

Maybe the Qigong method could benefit you as well. As I mentioned above to the O/P , have a look at this guy's new book.

https://flowingzen.com/21844/qigong-in-the-age-of-covid/

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If you're going to be staying in Chiang Mai then you have an excellent opportunity to discover the natural healing that Qigong, a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine can offer. There are number of well reputed schools there which you might find interesting.

Start by reading the web page below and see what you think. Anthony is my instructor and his new book is excellent.

https://flowingzen.com/17035/how-i-discovered-and-also-tamed-my-anxiety/

So, is this guy in CM? Or is there a teacher who teaches his methods? Is there a place you recommend? Thanks

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

So, is this guy in CM? Or is there a teacher who teaches his methods? Is there a place you recommend? Thanks

The guy I'm referring to is based in the US but he concentrates on on-line teaching nowadays. There are at least 3 Thai Chi/Qigong schools in CM and prior to Covid many people visited there to attend at least one of them. I don't know what styles they specialize in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 2:09 PM, Sparktrader said:

Ashwaganda is great, I've been taking it for a couple of years before sleep and it pretty much fixed my sleep. I don't take it during the day because it makes me feel weird. It does have good science behind it, seem to have great effect on cortisol control.