Recommendations for in-home blood sugar testing device

connda

My wife is pre-diabetic.  I bought her a blood sugar testing kit a few weeks ago which she uses daily.  The only problem is that the kit is not accurate.  We found this out this week when she had a blood draw at the hospital and did a self-test and compared them.  The self-test was over 20 points higher than the hospital lab test.
All that did was create stress for her as she swore that she was strictly controlling her carbs and sugars.

So now I'd like to find a blood testing kit that other AN members here have used (or who are now using) and which they can vouch that is accurate.  I don't care about the cost.  It's a very good tool for my wife to maintain awareness of her morning blood sugar and to adjust her diet according to the reading.   It's a good feedback loop for keeping control of her FBS. 

Can anyone recommend a blood testing kit manufacturer/model with a solid reputation?
Thanks!

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

But before assuming there is something wrong with what you have -- were these 2 tests (the lab test and the self test) done at exactly the same time?

They were done exactly at the same time.  Wife did the test while getting a blood draw. 

I did a blood test myself using the strips she was using.  I checked with her strips and then opened a new bottle and checked again at the same time. 102 with the new strips and 153 with the strips she was using. 
I've given her the new bottle of strips and tossed the old ones. 
However?  Those test strips were not outdated as far as I know.  These were SinoCare Safe-Accu strips.  The bottle of 25 strips she was using was opened maybe three weeks ago and had an expiration date of April 2023.  So I've begun to question the accuracy of the manufacturer.  She keeps the bottle sealed when not pulling out a strip.  I don't see why they would be so inaccurate.

There is also the stress factor, as stress will raise the blood gluscose. Possible she finds the self-test procedure stressful?

Doesn't stress her out at all. 

Actually for someone with pre-diabetes, daily blood sugar checks are unnecessary. A better approach is to get an HB1Ac done every 6 months.

She's not on a diabetic diet.  My mom was type-2 diabetic so I'm very familiar with the exchange diets.  My wife understands that her body isn't metabolizing sugar at 63 as it did a decade ago.  She eats a well balance diet (better than me) but she does 'cheat' on occasion.  If she spikes her sugar, she readjusts be bring it back down.
Personally I think using that feed-back mechanism is a good idea.  Maybe not for everyone though.

Edited by connda

I use a Beurer device and it does the job.

Beurer Official Thailand (ประเทศไทย) เครื่องมือแพทย์อุปกรณ์ดูแลสุขภาพจากเยอรมัน

I read somewhere, maybe in the manual of that device, that people should not press blood out of their finger when they test. Just pick it with the needle, wait and test.

I don't know if that makes a difference and obviously I don't know if your wife does that. But it might be a reason why the numbers differ. 

Also the test strips have expiry dates and conditions how to keep them (temperature). That could also be an issue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Dunno about the kit, but do a bit more research on the predibetic thing, it's not about carbs and sugar more about going low fat. I'm about 80% carbs incl sugar, HbA1c always good

My HbA1C is satisfactory, it's the high FBS that worries me.

My diet is possibly the opposite of yours. Sucrose completely eliminated, my only source of sugar is the fructose in fruit.

If it grows below ground, I don't eat it. Only stuff growing above ground.

Potatoes, rice, pasta are all out. If it's food that can be put on a shelf, no. If it needs to go into a refrigerator, it's mostly OK. I can eat as much cheese and yoghurt as I want, same with protein.

The philosophy behind the diet is teaching my body to metabolize fat in place of carbohydrate and sugar. So far, I have lost 5 kg. I'll get an FBS done in a fortnight to see what progress I have made.

Back on topic, pathology labs are probably the cheapest and most accurate option short of self-testing. Many hospitals send their test samples out to path labs anyway.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My diet is possibly the opposite of yours. Sucrose completely eliminated, my only source of sugar is the fructose in fruit.

Potatoes, rice, pasta are all out. If it's food that can be put on a shelf, no. If it needs to go into a refrigerator, it's mostly OK. I can eat as much cheese and yoghurt as I want, same with protein.

The philosophy behind the diet is teaching my body to metabolize fat in place of carbohydrate and sugar. So far, I have lost 5 kg. I'll get an FBS done in a fortnight to see what progress I have made.

Back on topic, pathology labs are probably the cheapest and most accurate option short of self-testing. Many hospitals send their test samples out to path labs anyway.

Keto? fat adjusted. I was watching a video today on it, body thinks your starving, not healthy long term, greater risk of heart disease, but to lose weight quickly maybe ok. I don't like the sound of it at all. I like eating whenever i want, avoid junk most days, low fat when possible, as much carbs incl sugar as i want. I'm not trying to lose weight, already a good weight

Not sure if they have in Thailand but the next big thing in the healthcare world for blood sugar monitoring is Dexcom systems

Can't recommend any as I don't personally use it though. 

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Keto? fat adjusted. I was watching a video today on it, body thinks your starving, not healthy long term, greater risk of heart disease, but to lose weight quickly maybe ok. I don't like the sound of it at all. I like eating whenever i want, avoid junk most days, low fat when possible, as much carbs incl sugar as i want. I'm not trying to lose weight, already a good weight

No, not keto. That's high fat and protein, I agree it's dangerous.

I am not out of carbs entirely, I am targeting low carb foods across a spectrum.

Vegetables : Spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, bamboo, green capsicum, tomato,mushrooms.

Nuts: Macadamia and Brazil nuts.

Fruit: Berries, oranges, cantelope,avocado.

Drinks: Whisky is low, beer is packed with carbs.

Protein: Oily fish, pork, chicken, beef, eggs, cheese.

I allow myself one slice of whole wheat bread for breakfast, and an occasional lunch of whole wheat durum spaghetti flavored with pesto.

You are presumably blessed with a high metabolic rate to be getting away with the food choices you describe. As I have gotten older, my metabolism has probably slowed down.

I remember an American in Chiang Mai who lived on Maccas and KFC. Never ate any fruit or vegetables.

He died after what he ate simply stopped moving through his digestive system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This Dr is on the money as usual, has been treating patients with diabetes for years. Definitely worth watching, forward past the first 20 minutes, at 1:09 he talks about the diet required

Anybody who claims to "cure" diabetes is, IMO, some kind of quack. The disease can be controlled, and some speak of "remission", but short of a transplant you still got it. Here is an excellent article about it. Please note the reward is "near normal" blood sugar readings while maintaining a constant and rigorous routine. Thirty years since diagnosis and many clinical trials here.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/can-you-reverse-type-2-diabetes#1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I use a Beurer device and it does the job.

Beurer Official Thailand (ประเทศไทย) เครื่องมือแพทย์อุปกรณ์ดูแลสุขภาพจากเยอรมัน

I read somewhere, maybe in the manual of that device, that people should not press blood out of their finger when they test. Just pick it with the needle, wait and test.

I don't know if that makes a difference and obviously I don't know if your wife does that. But it might be a reason why the numbers differ. 

Also the test strips have expiry dates and conditions how to keep them (temperature). That could also be an issue. 

And wash and dry your hands carefully before testing. Also be sure the blood drop is ample. I have had ludicrous readings from too small a sample.

I submit that twenty points differential between two readings is not very significant. Not like she is calculating insulin doses, right?

I have cross checked my Sinocare meter vs my Accucheck meter a number of times and found them in close agreement. YMMV.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

No, not keto. That's high fat and protein, I agree it's dangerous.

I am not out of carbs entirely, I am targeting low carb foods across a spectrum.

Vegetables : Spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, bamboo, green capsicum, tomato,mushrooms.

Nuts: Macadamia and Brazil nuts.

Fruit: Berries, oranges, cantelope,avocado.

Drinks: Whisky is low, beer is packed with carbs.

Protein: Oily fish, pork, chicken, beef, eggs, cheese.

I allow myself one slice of whole wheat bread for breakfast, and an occasional lunch of whole wheat durum spaghetti flavored with pesto.

You are presumably blessed with a high metabolic rate to be getting away with the food choices you describe. As I have gotten older, my metabolism has probably slowed down.

I remember an American in Chiang Mai who lived on Maccas and KFC. Never ate any fruit or vegetables.

He died after what he ate simply stopped moving through his digestive system.

Calorie restricting is painful, being hungry, must effect your mood also, it's not about my metabolism that's just an excuse. When i was about 30 i noticed i had to be more careful what i eat as i started to get a stomach, that's 22 years ago, you just have to learn what you can eat and what you should avoid, stomach is flat now

Edited by scubascuba3

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Calorie restricting is painful, being hungry, must effect your mood also, it's not about my metabolism that's just an excuse. When i was about 30 i noticed i had to be more careful what i eat as i started to get a stomach, that's 22 years ago, you just have to learn what you can eat and what you should avoid, stomach is flat now

You are still of an age where you can get away with carbs and sugar, although I would suggest you are not eating unlimited quantities to retain a flat stomach. You'd have to be exercising at elite athlete level if you were.

Basically diet is what reduces weight, exercise is what maintains the weight loss.

I'll admit not having cakes, ice cream and Pringles is a PITA, but at age 78 it's what I must do to avoid Type 2 diabetes.

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If your HB1Ac is Ok, a FBS is not very important. FBS naturally varies from day to day and an isolated high reading is not very important. Also, just the fact of a blood draw can cause a rise in FBS due to stress.  HB1AC measured what your FBS has been over time i.e. over the past 2-3 months, so it is not a completely different measure than FBS. On the contrary, it is the most reliable measure of FBS since it is an average that balances out any temporary atypical spikes.

your diet sounds fine and if your Hb1Ac is good, all is well.

HB1Ac is the gold standard for managing DM

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You are still of an age where you can get away with carbs and sugar, although I would suggest you are not eating unlimited quantities to retain a flat stomach. You'd have to be exercising at elite athlete level if you were.

Basically diet is what reduces weight, exercise is what maintains the weight loss.

I'll admit not having cakes, ice cream and Pringles is a PITA, but at age 78 it's what I must do to avoid Type 2 diabetes.

the thing about unlimited carbs is you fill yourself up then stop, so you never keep eating but it's nice knowing you can keep going, this calorie restriction just makes you feel hungry, so in my case if I'm hungry during the day between meals apart from fruit I'd have some carbs like jam on toast to fill me up a bit or banana milkshake which is very filling. A lot of those people in the video above are in 70s, the Dr never mentions metabolism or age once, he doesn't say you're older so it won't work for you

On 4/24/2022 at 10:28 AM, Sheryl said:

If your HB1Ac is Ok, a FBS is not very important. FBS naturally varies from day to day and an isolated high reading is not very important. Also, just the fact of a blood draw can cause a rise in FBS due to stress.  HB1AC measured what your FBS has been over time i.e. over the past 2-3 months, so it is not a completely different measure than FBS. On the contrary, it is the most reliable measure of FBS since it is an average that balances out any temporary atypical spikes.

your diet sounds fine and if your Hb1Ac is good, all is well.

HB1Ac is the gold standard for managing DM

I'll check with our local amphur hospital to see if they have the HB1Ac test.  Just curious but do you have to do an 12 hour fast prior to this test?

53 minutes ago, connda said:

I'll check with our local amphur hospital to see if they have the HB1Ac test.  Just curious but do you have to do an 12 hour fast prior to this test?

You do not have to fast at all, that is another advantage of it.

Besides your ampur hospital there might be a private lab in the town.

Monitoring daily FBS is needed only for diabetics and even then, for those who are either on insulin (in which essential to do) or whose FBS is unstable.