Cns Leaders Warned To Steer Clear Of Superstition

george

Abhisit warns CNS leaders to steer clear of superstition

BANGKOK: -- Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday warned key members of the Council for National Security (CNS) not to base any of their political decisions on superstitious beliefs. Mr Abhisit said people could not be expected to accept key decisions made by the ruling military council if they were based on such irrationality.

His comments were in response to reports that CNS chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin and other members of the military were heading to Chiang Mai today to consult renowned fortune teller Varin Buaviratlert. They reportedly want the fortune teller to perform magical rites to change the country's destiny following rising political tensions.

However Gen Sonthi denied the rumour, saying he was only meeting with the fortune teller for a meal.

The reports coincided with rumours that Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra, wife of deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, also plans to visit the same fortune teller today at his house in the Sukhito housing estate.

A reliable source close to Mr Varin said today was a special Saturday with certain stars gaining strength, making it appropriate for a rite to avert bad luck.

Mr Abhisit said he did not know if the reports were true or not, but stressed that the coup makers should base their decisions on logic, not superstition.

It is normal for people in a confused state to turn to something or someone they can rely on, Mr Abhisit said. But to solve problems that affect the majority, all sides should use their brains and consciousness to find solutions, the Democrat leader added.

Commenting on reports of a possible change of prime minister, Mr Abhisit said there must be sound reasons for such a move. Decisions made by those in power must be explainable, he said. If any were driven by superstitious beliefs, no one would accept them, he warned.

A source said Khunying Potjaman, one of Mr Varin's regular clients, arrived at Chiang Mai airport at 11.30am yesterday. She briefly visited her Green Valley residence before heading for Doi Suthep to pay homage to Buddha relics at Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep. She is reportedly scheduled to visit him at his house today.

However, a close aide to Mr Varin denied that the military men of the CNS wanted him to perform a sueb duang chata (life prolonging) ceremony for them. The CNS leaders simply wanted to visit the fortune teller, the aide said.

Mr Varin gained Gen Sonthi's trust and became his personal seer after he correctly foretold Gen Sonthi's appointment as army chief. The fortune teller also previously correctly foretold that Gen Chaisit Shinawatra and Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, Gen Sonthi's predecessors, would clinch the top army job.

Before the Sept 19 coup, he also predicted that Gen Sonthi would lead a coup, citing that the army chief, in a previous life, had been a close aide of the late King Taksin the Great. He also predicted that Gen Sonthi would become prime minister.

Mr Varin formerly served as a rural teacher in government service, a source said. After leaving his teaching job, he reportedly met a hermit while travelling through the jungles in Chiang Mai's Chiang Dao district.

The hermit told him he possessed a 3,000-year old hermit's spirit, which gave him the powers of prediction. He then took up fortune-telling, his clients being mainly businessmen and military officers.

--The Nation 2007-06-16

Abhisit warns CNS leaders to steer clear of superstition

BANGKOK: -- Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday warned key members of the Council for National Security (CNS) not to base any of their political decisions on superstitious beliefs. Mr Abhisit said people could not be expected to accept key decisions made by the ruling military council if they were based on such irrationality.

His comments were in response to reports that CNS chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin and other members of the military were heading to Chiang Mai today to consult renowned fortune teller Varin Buaviratlert. They reportedly want the fortune teller to perform magical rites to change the country's destiny following rising political tensions.

However Gen Sonthi denied the rumour, saying he was only meeting with the fortune teller for a meal.

The reports coincided with rumours that Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra, wife of deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, also plans to visit the same fortune teller today at his house in the Sukhito housing estate.

A reliable source close to Mr Varin said today was a special Saturday with certain stars gaining strength, making it appropriate for a rite to avert bad luck.

Mr Abhisit said he did not know if the reports were true or not, but stressed that the coup makers should base their decisions on logic, not superstition.

It is normal for people in a confused state to turn to something or someone they can rely on, Mr Abhisit said. But to solve problems that affect the majority, all sides should use their brains and consciousness to find solutions, the Democrat leader added.

Commenting on reports of a possible change of prime minister, Mr Abhisit said there must be sound reasons for such a move. Decisions made by those in power must be explainable, he said. If any were driven by superstitious beliefs, no one would accept them, he warned.

A source said Khunying Potjaman, one of Mr Varin's regular clients, arrived at Chiang Mai airport at 11.30am yesterday. She briefly visited her Green Valley residence before heading for Doi Suthep to pay homage to Buddha relics at Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep. She is reportedly scheduled to visit him at his house today.

However, a close aide to Mr Varin denied that the military men of the CNS wanted him to perform a sueb duang chata (life prolonging) ceremony for them. The CNS leaders simply wanted to visit the fortune teller, the aide said.

Mr Varin gained Gen Sonthi's trust and became his personal seer after he correctly foretold Gen Sonthi's appointment as army chief. The fortune teller also previously correctly foretold that Gen Chaisit Shinawatra and Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, Gen Sonthi's predecessors, would clinch the top army job.

Before the Sept 19 coup, he also predicted that Gen Sonthi would lead a coup, citing that the army chief, in a previous life, had been a close aide of the late King Taksin the Great. He also predicted that Gen Sonthi would become prime minister.

Mr Varin formerly served as a rural teacher in government service, a source said. After leaving his teaching job, he reportedly met a hermit while travelling through the jungles in Chiang Mai's Chiang Dao district.

The hermit told him he possessed a 3,000-year old hermit's spirit, which gave him the powers of prediction. He then took up fortune-telling, his clients being mainly businessmen and military officers.

--The Nation 2007-06-16

this artical says it all no wonder thailand is in worst state in years ,it will only get better when they elect a proper politicion to run the country :o

meanwhile the BOI has the job of trying to flog foreign investment in the country and they want a nuclear power station for Xmas .

Perfectly summarized !

Some could argue that only the top is rotten. But, look at the crazyness around the Jatukarm amulets.

Add the ghosts... The superstition is endemic.

But if you say to a guy like Sonthi that "in a previous life, he had been a close aide of the late King Taksin the Great", basically you control him !

My point : the taxi driver buys a copy of Jatukarm amulet, because "you-never-know" and that can't harm. But Sonthi has the power....

Scary.

jsut because you dont believe in fortune telling doesnt mean that it doesnt work or isnt valid. i have based many life decisions on fortune tellers. i actually gave up my second child for adoption because it was going to be unlucky. my next two children were both predicted to be very great people and that has turned out correct so far. the one who went to adoption has had problems ever since, which goes to show you.

jsut because you dont believe in fortune telling doesnt mean that it doesnt work or isnt valid. i have based many life decisions on fortune tellers. i actually gave up my second child for adoption because it was going to be unlucky. my next two children were both predicted to be very great people and that has turned out correct so far. the one who went to adoption has had problems ever since, which goes to show you.

people who have no hope are easy to control, and that is what a fortune teller does to people who are unable or refuse to take responsibilty for the result of their own actions (good or bad)

It might show that the kid had problems because he was given up for adoption. But back on topic.....Thailand just seems to always be taking one step forward and two steps back in being taken seriously by 1st world countries. And they wonder why they get passed up for things like UN Secy General positions? The good news is Abhisit can see this.

People who believe this kind of BS are really scary... wonder how they can learn enough to type on a keyboard and use the internet...

I am so sorry for the poor kid and I still don't know wether the guy should be shot for behaving that way...

oz

erm... is my own crystal ball picking up stray signals or does this not smell like one of too numerous coincidences of people being in the same place at the same time by 'pure accident'? In this case Sonthi and Mrs Taxin.

Chiang Mai has good mushrooms :o

on reflection, I love this story. I want to keep it and frame it so I can look back on this period for what it is!

"No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden."

Edited by endure
Edit for content

And you are simply a nutcase... Actually an uncaring assh*le, who abandoned a child. Shame on you!

And you are simply a nutcase... Actually an uncaring assh*le, who abandoned a child. Shame on you!

From his post i actually feel worse for the 2 he kept.

If you really abandoned your own child you should be ashamed of yourself. Disgusting behavior, and even more so if you did it on the advice of a fortune teller.

Dad, It's me! Tony! :o

Just letting you know I'm doing fine and you'll be a grandfather soon.

there are 6 billion people on this earth, saying that someone 'made' a child is pretty silly. everything in this universe is made up of particles, so God or the 'design' of this world is the one who made David.

if i had not given him for adoption, i would not have had two more children, i would have only had one. that means that him going to adoption, allowed our fourth child to be born. think about that for a moment if you will.

if you decide to keep a child it will change your life and your home forever. one has to consult the maner and degree inwhich they reside to determine the luck of the baby and whether or not it should be allowed in your home or raised outside of the home.

we do see david semi-often, less so since we came to thailand but still atleast once a year.

regardless, not everyone is an american so you should open yourself up to more liberal thinking and think of the universe in its molecular form.

how can you live with yourself? thats like the most awful ive heard say in a long time.

"the one who went to adoption". for the love of... how can you talk about your children like its an thing you just throw away. if "the one who went to adoption" has problems you are responsible for that. beeing put to adoption from a family with the needs to take care of a child must be very traumatic. well maybe better off than beeing fostered by you.

i dont want to go into personal attacks. but you make me sick.

Yep - it sure goes to show you, alright. If TV offered a prize for most revolting confession- you just won.

Edited by blaze

did you ever stop to think that the fact you gave up your child for adoption is the REASON the child has problems? unbelievable

I know that key decisions are made here after visiting a fortune teller, I've seen it enough times.

Superstition is rife.

All over the world right now, people are being killed, mutilated and harrassed because of stupid superstitious beliefs....and I include all forms of religion.

Maybe people who visit fortune tellers (or similar) for key decisions should also give up their cars, air travel, internet and any form technical advancement; they should stick to horse and carts, burning witches, sacrificing virgins and dance every time they see fire...

I sniff a wind-up....nobody IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would do such a thing

I thought the last person to use fortune tellers, soothsayers etc to empower them was King Arthur...and Merlin never exsited as King Arthur didn't either...well only in Monty Python's "Holy Grail"

Superstition and these fortune tellers I am all against it and do not believe a word they say but hey its a free world and if people want advise from these people let em do that

(paid and mostly uninformed and uneducated stupid advise by the way).

Just worried to see leaders of this country need this kind of thing to make decisions that will effect everone in Thailand :D

But there is a bright side to everything, I now know what fortune teller my wife goes to , so I'll visit her also , slip her a 1000 bath and bribe her to tell my wife she should encourage me to have a slender willing mia noi because it will bring us good luck :o

Hmmm who knows somebody else is also doing just the same thing to tell Mr Sonthi to be nice to Thaksin family , duh, I wonder who has enough money to bribe this fortune teller ?

Edited by brianinbangkok

I know that key decisions are made here after visiting a fortune teller, I've seen it enough times.

Superstition is rife.

All over the world right now, people are being killed, mutilated and harrassed because of stupid superstitious beliefs....and I include all forms of religion.

Maybe people who visit fortune tellers (or similar) for key decisions should also give up their cars, air travel, internet and any form technical advancement; they should stick to horse and carts, burning witches, sacrificing virgins and dance every time they see fire...

Won't see too many sacrificial rites over here then! :o

"I sniff a wind-up....nobody IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would do such a thing" ThaiPauly

You are probably right...I took the bait.

However, I have witnessed first-hand a Thai mother and father giving up a child with no remorse, emotion or feeling.