Why can’t the Thai Govt speed up opening the doors to tourism?

webfact

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Skyrocketing unemployment

https://www.economy.com/thailand/unemployment-rate

woefully uninformed and increasingly suspiciously bias.

https://www.economy.com/indicators/unemployment-rate

Thailand still has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world. The figures probably do not take into account the number of previous employees who started up eCommerce business during the pandemic.

1 hour ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Thailand still has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world. The figures probably do not take into account the number of previous employees who started up eCommerce business during the pandemic.

Lets add some cumulative deaths per million for Thailand against some G20 countries just for good measure shall we 'Mike'

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?facet=none&Interval=Cumulative&Relative+to+Population=true&Color+by+test+positivity=false&country=USA~ITA~CAN~DEU~GBR~FRA~JPN~THA&Metric=Confirmed+deaths

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, superal said:

I agree with you . The embassy can either be easy or a pain in the butt . On tender hooks waiting for your application to be accepted and in many cases your bookings for flying , hotel and insurance are just a couple of days away from being used .  Perfectly presented files rejected for one reason or another but when I present them to the agency asq the T/P or COE is made in hours . I always use the asq agency because no hassle  

Agreed that the ASQ agency is very, very, quick. I used it back in February but it's at a cost, which can be considerable depending on urgency. So it all adds to the cost of the trip, an addition that seems to be unnecessary now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

with all their flip-flopping last year on entry rules, I'm no no hurry to return. plus, they were expecting to relax the rules in July, so why now? just to show they are amicable to the voters before the songkran spike comes in the coming days and they have to clamp back down again? I hope I'm wrong, but last year was very telling in how this government reacts, so I'm expecting more flip flopping soon

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Making right and meaningful decisions is not Thailand forte. They are doing better than others due to foreign currency poured in through years and they think they dont need Tourism.

Thailand don't need tourism. I really can't see why so many foreign expat are so worried about tourist numbers. I've had a couple of great holidays in the last 2 years on Goh Mak, deserted beaches, cheaper rates, it's wonderful. 

• Confused 3

14 hours ago, davemos said:

I have 4 groups of friends who have decided to go to V N ,or Cambodia .... Great work gov you have destroyed the tourist sector .

Why would they want to go to Cambodia as second choice to Thailand?

Older men perhaps?

Most Thais I know are quite happy to keep foreigners out during an epidemic. 

Personally, I think it will keep the riff raff out. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thailand don't need tourism. I really can't see why so many foreign expat are so worried about tourist numbers. I've had a couple of great holidays in the last 2 years on Goh Mak, deserted beaches, cheaper rates, it's wonderful. 

I think numbers doenst agree with your assertion of Thailand doenst need tourism. In 2019 last full year of open tourism, Tourism contributed to 21.9% of Thai GDP. That is a significant portion of an middle class economy. I am sure as a number person you would appreciate factual numbers .

You may want to keep status quo for your own selfish reason to keep beaches and everything for yourself but that would not be fair for millions of Thais who are out of work since Tourism isnt available.

https://knoema.com/atlas/Thailand/topics/Tourism/Travel-and-Tourism-Total-Contribution-to-GDP/Contribution-of-travel-and-tourism-to-GDP-percent-of-GDP#:~:text=In 2019%2C contribution of travel and tourism to,description is composed by our digital data assistant.

In 2019, contribution of travel and tourism to GDP (% of GDP) for Thailand was 21.9 %. Though Thailand contribution of travel and tourism to GDP (% of GDP) fluctuated substantially in recent years, it tended to increase through 2000 - 2019 period ending at 21.9 % in 2019.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BayArea said:

PM Prayut orders Thailand Pass to be improved, says tourists are essential | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

" Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered government agencies to quickly fix the system to ensure there are no delays with the approval process, adding that foreign tourism is essential for reviving Thailand’s economy, according to a government spokesperson."

Do you believe what he says? 555 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

You may want to keep status quo for your own selfish reason to keep beaches and everything for yourself but that would not be fair for millions of Thais who are out of work since Tourism isnt available.

I think tourism is more like 12% of GDP. 

2 years with less work isn't that bad, all the people I know had saving to get through. 

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I think tourism is more like 12% of GDP. 

2 years with less work isn't that bad, all the people I know had saving to get through. 

May be people you know are well off like you but another indicator of poverty , household debt has balloned indicating people are not earning and living on credit.

Thailand’s household debt in the first quarter of 2021 increased to 14.13 trillion baht, representing 90.5% of gross domestic product (GDP), compared to 89.4% of GDP for the fourth quarter of last year, and is at its highest in 18 years, when the Bank of Thailand started collecting data on household debt in the country, according to the Kasikorn Research Centre of Kasikorn Bank.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-household-debt-in-q1-2021-is-highest-in-18-years-kasikorn-research/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

May be people you know are well off like you but another indicator of poverty , household debt has balloned indicating people are not earning and living on credit.

Thailand’s household debt in the first quarter of 2021 increased to 14.13 trillion baht, representing 90.5% of gross domestic product (GDP), compared to 89.4% of GDP for the fourth quarter of last year, and is at its highest in 18 years, when the Bank of Thailand started collecting data on household debt in the country, according to the Kasikorn Research Centre of Kasikorn Bank.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-household-debt-in-q1-2021-is-highest-in-18-years-kasikorn-research/

Yeah, I hear you, tourism is a big part of the Thai economy. 

It will come back, but it seems to be the foreigners that are more desperate than the Thais. 

Without an influx from India and the Chinese opening the borders while facing its own upsurge, tourism is not going to change that much. The Westerners that dominate the board here seriously overestimate their own importance.

7 hours ago, nexus99 said:

The May 1st rules are completely acceptable and I don't personally need anything more than that to open my door. The requirement for vaccination and insurance is actually desirable in my mind. Its game on right now.

Where did you read the May 1st rules? I want to have a look.

11 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Agreed that the ASQ agency is very, very, quick. I used it back in February but it's at a cost, which can be considerable depending on urgency. So it all adds to the cost of the trip, an addition that seems to be unnecessary now.

Depends what you call considerable , they start at 2500 baht and if your request is urgent it may go double but they do guarantee your T/P or your money back . I have used them twice and they delivered both times , once in a couple of hours and once the next day . Considering all the possible aggro that you can get from the embassy , I think they take all the stress out of the application , especially for those who are not I/T up to speed . 

You say not necessary now , well they have a new deal where they charge 1900 baht which includes the health/ covid insurance policy . So all you have to do is upload your vaccine certs and passport copy of front page with also your re-entry permit if applicable .

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Absolute rubbish. Those are official numbers. This administration has not exactly been famous for reporting the facts. There are millions unemployed right now. And countless who worked in the underground economy, who are not accounted for. Even in the smaller towns, I am seeing hundreds of closed shops. The new developments which these guys just keep building are nearly empty. Devoid of life. Have you been to any of the market areas lately? I was at one in Bangkok near Pratunam, and only 2% of the businesses have survived. It was a ghost town.

Where have you been?

20211029_095144-1.jpg

20211028_120729.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Encouraging revolution now, Is that really your mandate?

Absolutely. No question that major changes are needed. What is your suggestion? Stick with the regressive and incapable status quo? I cannot remember the last time I spoke with a Thai, who approved of these fools.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, internationalism said:

there is no need for a booster shot to get to thailand.

Also there is also no any time limit on received vaxes.

You can enter thailand from 1st May unvaxed - just a pcr within 72h submitted to thailand pass.

From July there might be no requirement for any vax certificate. The full opening. Lets see how it plays out, but that are the plans. The 3th stage of opening from 1st May is really a radical change - no testing and no 1 night quarantine

that's the way it should be.

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolute rubbish. Those are official numbers. This administration has not exactly been famous for reporting the facts. There are millions unemployed right now. And countless who worked in the underground economy, who are not accounted for. Even in the smaller towns, I am seeing hundreds of closed shops. The new developments which these guys just keep building are nearly empty. Devoid of life. Have you been to any of the market areas lately? I was at one in Bangkok near Pratunam, and only 2% of the businesses have survived. It was a ghost town.

Where have you been?

20211029_095144-1.jpg

20211028_120729.jpg

Firstly those stats are from Moody's, do not know if you have heard of them, pretty big international firm.

Secondly, that is a photo from an old mall where many floors and shops have been vacant ever since I had businesses in MBK (for over a decade).

Yeah I travel just a tad around Thailand, maybe check out my website. Lately I have been to, gosh so many places, From Bangkok to North and a few places in-between, Surin, Ubon, Koh Chang and I have seen none to the extent of what you suggest. Sure Thailand is not as busy as it has been but guess what Einstein, that is pretty similar around the world and has no bearing upon this government or any other government.

New developments that have just been built nearly empty you say...hmmmm my wife and I just bought a townhouse in Bangkok and guess what it completely sold out....go figure.

You are a total charlatan, stop spreading misinformation and lies. I have been watching you for many months now, constantly spewing out anti-government and anti-Thai rhetoric.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely. No question that major changes are needed. What is your suggestion? Stick with the regressive and incapable status quo? I cannot remember the last time I spoke with a Thai, who approved of these fools.

Hmmmm again, you call them 'fools'. Seriously mate you do not have even the foggiest idea of what is going on this country or the larger ramifications of regime change would have to SE Asia and the world at large. I see you keep on having a go at Prayut but if you really actually knew anything about Thailand, which you do not, then you would know in reality the country is run by the privy council and Prayut is merely a figure head who, like many ex generals, politicians, businessmen and semi-royalty, will one day join the privy council. Lets just give you the benefit of the doubt and say you vaguely knew this, how dare you call these people fools, who are you? you are no one in Thailand compared to them my friend and you could not have ever been or will ever be part of a successful progression of a country to save your life. These men, and in some cases women, have successful transformed Thailand, avoiding such pitfalls as colonialism, communism, total authoritarianism and most recently the march of the dragon. They have transformed it into the most amazing country to travel, life in and for all of us to enjoy and love. Of course there are negatives but which country on this planet does not have any negatives. This is their country, they know what is best for the Thai people and they know the minds and ways of Thai people, NOT YOU!

I can remember the last time I spoke to a Thai, many Thai's in fact, and they all believe the best thing for Thailand is keeping the status quo because it has been so successful in avoiding said pitfalls in the past.

Seriously, encouraging the youth of this country to rise up against the status quo is like sending lambs to the slaughter and I very much doubt you will be there with them will you? Didn't think so.

Enough said to you, honestly I am probably wasting my time and I rarely come on this forum because it just seems to be full to the brim with people like you. I have just had enough of your ridiculous rhetoric. Read what I said and educate yourself, stop listening to idiots and reading junk mate, try and think outside of the box once in a while, try and understand the deeper fabric of Thai society. If you cannot or do not want to do this, then maybe you have alternative motives which require further investigation by the appropriate authorities.

Edited by bangkokbonecollector
  • Confused 1

On 4/25/2022 at 4:22 PM, cncltd1973 said:

good luck trusting the numbers published by the gov't. Thailand has been recording covid-complicated deaths by the underlying condition (diabetes, emphysema etc), whereas most other countries record a covid-complicated death as covid death. this is according to my wife's niece who is a bangkok doctor and has vented her frustration at the process.

also, I think your unemployment numbers are equally untrustworthy, as I heard many times that the numbers are based on workers that pay into social security and don't take account of workers paid in cash or otherwise 'off the books'.

the TAT is most famous for manipulating the numbers apart from reality, but every department will do the same to make the status quo look good

It is published by Moody's analytics....look at the top corner of the screen. Jesus the people on this forum. Anyway, Thailand is renowned for always having had a very very low unemployment rate. Please show me graphs otherwise. Thailand has been covered by various media sources through the pandemic, praising how well they have done. Admittedly Q2 2021 onwards was tough but that is because Vax take up was slow due to delayed deliveries by sources OUTSIDE of Thailand.