Three dead, two seriously injured after head on collision in Trat

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Khao Saming police were called to the Khao Saming to Sa Yai Road in Trat in eastern Thailand after a Toyota Fortuner collided head on with a Toyota pick-up yesterday evening around 7.30 pm.

The driver of the Fortuner had been trying to overtake a motorcycle with sidecar attachment. The driver tried to get back into his lane after apparently misjudging the move but clipped the motorcycle and ended up in the path of the oncoming vehicle.

Dead inside the pick-up were 30 year old Patcharaphol, an electrician, and 40 year old Prasong. 

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Patcharaphol's wife Yasunil, aged about 20, and four year old son were seriously injured and taken to Khao Saming hospital.

The Fortuner driver was also dead at the scene and named as 69 year old Wuthiwat.

Runpetch, 56, the rider of the Honda Wave  that overturned was only slightly injured, reported Thai Rath.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Shame that he had to take others with him.

Sadly so....  Its also a shame that the government take not steps or efforts to educate people. 

Yes, everyone is aware accidents can and do happen, but mentality is that 'it won’t happen to me’ (them) - this is where the education comes in, that it ‘can happen to them if they take risks’... 

Education is necessary to ‘shift the culture’ from feckless fv<kwittery to consideration... 

I also wonder IF seatbelts were worn at all - could they have made a difference with this head on crash ?

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

They just cannot wait.

I have a 20 min drive each day along relatively quiet, but windy roads. I have to pull in two or three times to let these maniacs pass......they come flying up behind at breakneck speed, slam the brakes on, then tailgate within inches......sick of them.

In my experience tailgating is only a problem in Isaan, where it appears to be compulsory. I very rarely encounter it in Phetchaburi or Bangkok except from minibus drivers, but we all know where most of them hail from.

On our trip back to Bangkok from Phuket on the 2 lane section from just south of Prachuap Khiri Khan to Hua Hin on Hwy 4 I had many cars come up on me fast in the inside lane flashing the headlights trying to get me to move to the left lane which had slower moving traffic in it.  It did not seem to matter to them that I was already driving over the limit myself as they would get right up on my bumper, and then try to drive to the right using the small shoulder to pass me while blasting the horn and flashing the light.  I moved over to let them pass when I had a chance to move to the left and watched as they sped up weaving in and out of traffic.  When I got into Hua Hin there were the same cars not far ahead of me, so all that effort and shoddy driving really did not get them far now did it.  Driving to an early grave they are just like in the OP, impatience seems to be normal behavior amongst many Thai drivers I see and have observed for the past 15 years driving the highways here.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1