Buying a new motor-scooter on a credit card

I have done it at a second hand dealer, the dealer agreed to split the 3% credit card fee with me.

I guess if I had paid cash I might have gotten a 1000 baht discount or so, but I also think that him agreeing to pay half of the fee himself makes him feel better than giving a 1000 baht discount, so he is more likely to agree to it.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2022 at 4:18 PM, Ralf001 said:

Search function will have your answers.

When purchasing cars I’ve tried to use a credit card every time...  

Wanted to pay as much as possible with the credit card so I could get the points... 

(Wife and I have limits of 1.2MB - so thats a lot of air-miles).

Unfortunately, every time we have tried the dealership would only accept credit card payment with a 3% surcharge which obviously made this a no-goer.

Edited by Pink Mist
Flame portion removed from post
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2022 at 4:52 PM, Ralf001 said:

To answer the OP of course you can buy a scooter using a credit card, it is no different to buying a new TV.

Is it? depends where you live in Bangkok or Pattaya may be, were I am Lopburi ,and I would say a lot of other provinces it would be cash only, some could well take mobile phone /scan banking, most shops are not geared up for credit cards, my local shop in our Amphur town would not know what to do if you gave them a credit card.

As has been said the ones that know about paying by credit cards the 3%, 1800 baht on a 60 k 125cc Wave ,would say no 

6 hours ago, kickstart said:

Is it? depends where you live in Bangkok or Pattaya may be, were I am Lopburi ,and I would say a lot of other provinces it would be cash only, some could well take mobile phone /scan banking, most shops are not geared up for credit cards, my local shop in our Amphur town would not know what to do if you gave them a credit card.

As has been said the ones that know about paying by credit cards the 3%, 1800 baht on a 60 k 125cc Wave ,would say no 

Sorry to hear credit cards are not used in Lopburi.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I bought a new Honda Dream from a main dealer in Chang Mai back in 2001 on a credit card.

The dealer was a bit flummoxed at first but the deal was done.  I don't remember what, if any, arrangement was made about credit card fees.

Flummoxed, what a brilliant word, not heard it in a long time!!!!!!!