Krungsri Research estimates 5.5 million foreign tourists to visit Thailand in 2022 after ‘Test&Go’ cancellation

webfact

I think they're pretty much spot on with 5.5 million (much better than TATS 8-12 million)

There were 444,000 in first 3 months and 336,000 during April 1-25, so this should make 845,000 total by end of April.

So they only need to keep the current 400,000 per month for next 5 months, and then 900,000 a month during Oct-Dec high season, easy ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

They are still shooting for June 1st to cancel the entire Thai Pass system and let the vaccination status be added to your TM6 and have the I/O verify it at the I/O desk.  Lets see how long the wait to get through immigration will become if that is the case......

I think it is becoming clearer to me why NPLs are so high in Thai banks now, if this is the best # Krungsri can muster.

Is it possible? Maybe, but it would take an abrupt change. ThaiPass, perhaps just a minor inconvenience after 1 May, still exists. The year is 1/3 over, and even with extremely creative counting, the country saw around 440,000 arrivals in the first quarter. To meet the 'guesstimate', they will need to see about 600,000 arrivals a month on average, or 20K per day. They are also going to be competing with other destinations that have no entry requirements and where folks don't have to apply online to get a "Pass".

Maybe if China gives up the ghost on its Zero Covid policy, the number is reachable. Maybe if the ThaiPass is dropped altogether, maybe the number is reachable. Maybe if all bar and entertainment restrictions are dropped, the number is reachable. Maybe if the 'wise and all-knowing' authorities stop re-inventing the wheel just to look like they are doing something, the number is reachable.

If I had to take the Over/Under on 5.5 million, I think I would take the Under, though I fully expect goal-seeking on the part of authorities who will count returning Thais, multiple entry businesspeople/workers/spouses, even people who sneak across the border or daily cross the bridge in Maesai-Tachileik as part of the 5.5 million.

(Oh, and isn't there a war somewhere that is jacking up fuel prices and grain prices and might be leading to a worldwide recession?)

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

If I had to take the Over/Under on 5.5 million, I think I would take the Under

A decent take on the numbers. Maybe a push?

A limiting factor is simply available airline seats. Right now there aren't enough to get to 5.5 million.

The mechanism whereby there is tourist interest, demand, a desire to travel afar, cost/price, hurdles, then airlines add capacity (restart planes, staff, crew, catering, fuel), immigration staff at arrivals/processing time, local transport, even food supply is a long, long, interdependent chain. It was fine-tuned pre-COVID for quantity, reaching an inherent ceiling plateau at 40 m. It will be a slow climb back to that figure, probably with some turbulence along the way.

Charter/bulk-zero dollar tourists could fill the bill in Q4, maybe.

thailand yearns to suckle on the foreign teat, again. It's the easy path, but maybe not the best or only one?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

A limiting factor is simply available airline seats. Right now there aren't enough to get to 5.5 million.

They're on track for 400,000 in April with the planes they have.

Even if there was no increase that would be 3.2 million in next 8 months and 4 million total for year.  Finding another 1.5 million seats over 8 months would not be hard once they ramp up for high season

Not with the Thai pass they will. Those with unvaccinated kids need to apply for TP at the last moment. Embassies wont be able to handle the millions of requests, so lot of frustrated travellers. And in the era of the internet, the word spreads fast.

Without the Thai pass,Thailand might attract a significant mumber of Ai Farang, you know those foreignets that dont take showers accordi g to Anutin, but no Russians and Chinese this year. The Japanese market is also in the duldrums.

So cancel the Thaipass and pray that the westeners are coming.

Edited by SoilSpoil
  • Like 1

BREAKING

From 1st of june:

All female visitors get a "free entrance voucher" for their temple of choice.
All male visitors get a "10 x massage voucher" happy ending guaranteed.

The ladies from the northeast are filling up the buses to go back to their former employment location.

• Haha 2