Bruneians are gearing up for the Hari Raya Festival, which will be joyous but cautious

1508546557_harimain.jpg.3f672218134c4c5bf4bd3db3632d0724.jpg

In the middle of the Covid-19 outbreak, Brunei is preparing to welcome Hari Raya and celebrate it cautiously.

Parents are also stocking up on school supplies for their children ahead of the new school year, which begins next month after a nine-month hiatus due to the pandemic.

Dayangku Rina, an entrepreneur, said she had her Hari Raya attire custom-made this year and has yet to adorn her home.

"The economy is still in a downturn, and Bruneians are spending cautiously and avoiding overspending."
In addition, children will return to school in the second week of Raya, so parents must purchase school supplies."

"For children, the Hari Raya celebration is more meaningful than for adults, and they look forward to it," she added.
"In the midst of the pandemic, this Raya will be a quiet celebration."

To avoid the spread of COVID-19, Dayangku Rina stated the public should follow the Ministry of Health's rules, such as wearing face masks while not eating or drinking, cleaning their hands frequently, and not touching their faces.

"We have no way of knowing if a guest is contaminated."
For sanitary reasons, disposable utensils should be used to serve guests, and each cake or biscuit should be wrapped in plastic," Dayangku Rina said.

"We trust Allah Almighty to prevent a fourth pandemic wave and to ensure that everyone follows the standard operating procedures (SOPs)."

Meanwhile, Wani, a telecommunications firm employee, said her preparations this year were minimal.

"Earlier this month, I acquired ready-made Raya apparel for my children to avoid the pressure of shoppers in the days ahead, especially after paycheck," she explained.

"Apart from that, we'll make do with what we've got."
We will save money by having a low-key celebration.
Furthermore, because school will resume next month, we parents are spending more money on school supplies.

"At home, Raya preparations and decorations are kept to a minimum.
According to the Ministry of Health's recommendations, we would only visit our immediate family members during Hari Raya," Wani added.

Hajah Mastura, a private sector employee, said her Raya preparations were also modest.

"However, I still have two new tailor-made outfits for my kids."
We'll also put a BruHealth QR code at the front door, and every visitor will be given a temperature check.
"The number of visitors will be limited as well," she added.

Haji Azahar, a government employee, said he will only celebrate Hari Raya "with intimate family members on the first day of Hari Raya and will not entertain outsiders because I have children who have not been vaccinated."

He added, "Even people who have finished the immunisation can still infect others."

Similarly, public servant Shamsul said he expects to celebrate the holiday with close family members and has only made rudimentary preparations by purchasing a small assortment of cakes and biscuits. "I also have fewer Hari Raya clothing this year than I did before the outbreak," he added.

Haji Halim, a businessman, emphasised the importance of public accountability and safety, noting that visitors must do the antigen rapid test (ART) before visiting relatives' homes and maintain personal hygiene, such as by wearing face masks.

"With the rising cost of items, especially meat, we should not overspend on food preparations."
"We must be cautious in our enjoyment of the festivities," Haji Halim stated.