Looking for advice – outside security camera - Can you help please.

tomgreen

I’m looking at installing a 4 camera outside security system around my house. I don’t want to rely on a WiFi connection - only a POE ( Power over Ethernet ) option.

In my house I have a 3BB Fiber router . Which I use to connect to the internet.

I am planning to install the camera security system my self .

I have had a look at Lazada and the choice for external security camera system kits is overwhelming .

I don’t want to pay a lot for the external security camera system kit , as this house is only a temporary address. 

I have never had or purchased a security camera system before.  So any advice , comments or suggestions would be very welcome.

Many Thanks .

And if you lose power you lose your cameras irrespective of whether it is POE or wifi. Suggest you look at stand alone solar powered cameras with a sim card for transmitting data. The solar batteries are pretty good now for longevity and at least they are easy ( the cameras) to take with you when you move.

Edited by Excel

9 minutes ago, Excel said:

And if you lose power you lose your cameras irrespective of whether it is POE or wifi. Suggest you look at stand alone solar powered cameras with a sim card for transmitting data. The solar batteries are pretty good now for longevity and at least they are easy ( the cameras) to take with you when you move.

I also like the solar option. An alternative to SIM transmission, which is important if you want real-time monitoring, is an SD card recording the last XX minutes. This way, even if things go offline, you still have a recording at your disposal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, timendres said:

I also like the solar option. An alternative to SIM transmission, which is important if you want real-time monitoring, is an SD card recording the last XX minutes. This way, even if things go offline, you still have a recording at your disposal.

Not if the thieves are wise enough to steal your cameras also.

• Haha 1

Went down the road for security cameras years ago, but rather relying on something that could malfunction I decided it would be best to have a physical presence of security guards. Unfortunately my wife vetoed this company ????

security.jpg

• Haha 2

Dahua 4MP IR POE Bullet Network Camera

About 1500 baht each camera 

We have many this brand on factory security poe network

Reliable camera good image night and day

We use separate poe injector and nvr with computer ups backup power box

We have camera 70 meter from poe injector no problem

Poe wired network type is best for long time reliable system

I am of the view that having 4 security cameras outside around

the house , is like saying to burglars here is a house that has 

something to protect and valuable . all they do is pull their hoody

over their head and break in, sure you have a body shape of a

criminal ,but that's it.

Better to have security on the doors and windows , and I don't

mean bars,  incase of fire , which is more valuable your goods

or your life , but if they make you feel more secure ,get them.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Excel said:

Went down the road for security cameras years ago, but rather relying on something that could malfunction I decided it would be best to have a physical presence of security guards. Unfortunately my wife vetoed this company ????

security.jpg

With those legs the intruders will be mesmerised for long enough to be stomped by the boots.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I am of the view that having 4 security cameras outside around

the house , is like saying to burglars here is a house that has 

something to protect and valuable . all they do is pull their hoody

over their head and break in, sure you have a body shape of a

criminal ,but that's it.

Better to have security on the doors and windows , and I don't

mean bars,  incase of fire , which is more valuable your goods

or your life , but if they make you feel more secure ,get them.

regards Worgeordie

Agreed. I have perimeter security and sensors on the windows and doors in addition to cameras. But then I'm not planning on changing houses anytime soon.

Watch the videos by the guy suggested @OneMoreFarang you can see that difference in quality between dahua / hikvision and Reolink.

I would always suggest a Reolink POE system, they will last a long time and you can use the cameras in another system, however they are just cameras, you need to add a DVR or incorporate them into am automation system, you will also need some kind of UPS. All good, if you are setting up a house of your own but quite an investment in a rental.

You should look into a solar wifi camera with RTSP, like the Reolink Argus Pro - They have a cloud service and you will be able to incorporate them into a surveillance system if you require at a later date. There are other cameras mentioned that are like a standalone system, sure, they are good for an easy setup, you can view them on the proprietary app, but you are locked into their system once you have bought them.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Watch the videos by the guy suggested @OneMoreFarang you can see that difference in quality between dahua / hikvision and Reolink.

I would always suggest a Reolink POE system, they will last a long time and you can use the cameras in another system, however they are just cameras, you need to add a DVR or incorporate them into am automation system, you will also need some kind of UPS. All good, if you are setting up a house of your own but quite an investment in a rental.

You should look into a solar wifi camera with RTSP, like the Reolink Argus Pro - They have a cloud service and you will be able to incorporate them into a surveillance system if you require at a later date. There are other cameras mentioned that are like a standalone system, sure, they are good for an easy setup, you can view them on the proprietary app, but you are locked into their system once you have bought them.

Thanks for mentioning "my" video link.

The Reolink cameras can be connected to a DVR but they also work stand alone and/or with the internet features of Reolink. I don't know if that is usual with cameras. I just mention it so that readers know a DVR is not absolutely necessary. 

One can get a 4/8channel wired system for maybe $200 able to add 1gig HDD for approx 1 month worth of data..

Everything needed is in the kit.

Network cable plugs into the router for landline phone /simple to configure, watch from anywhere in the world.

Popped an 8 channel one in the house up in Chum Phae back in 2019....works great.

Can see the kids from here in Aus, playing games instead of doing homework, give them a ring....first thing we see is a quick glance at the cameras..... DOH!!!! forgot about those things again.????????

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

One can get a 4/8channel wired system for maybe $200 able to add 1gig HDD for approx 1 month worth of data..

Everything needed is in the kit.

Network cable plugs into the router for landline phone /simple to configure, watch from anywhere in the world.

Popped an 8 channel one in the house up in Chum Phae back in 2019....works great.

Can see the kids from here in Aus, playing games instead of doing homework, give them a ring....first thing we see is a quick glance at the cameras..... DOH!!!! forgot about those things again.????????

I am sure the kids love you and those cameras...