Abhisit Backs Calls To End Senators’ Role In Picking Post-Election PM

webfact

He was educated in the west, and his English is perfect, better than yours or mine maybe; this might give him ideas. And he has the background in government, though it's a complex picture. 

He's right of course, but TIT.

6 hours ago, RandiRona said:

So he utilized same General to crush Red shirts in 2010 and now asking him to forego the reason these 250 seats were created?? 

Also Democratic rule?? What is that in Thailand??

Red deleted you mean? It was his job as a premier to clean up the mess created by a criminal on the run. To my knowledge, he as a premier did not have his private army so he had to order the regular THai army and police to do it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Enzian said:

He's right of course, but TIT.

Well that would be a first.

He fails to mention this would require constitutional reform, which would require, wait for it, Senate approval.

He senses limelight.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Red deleted you mean? It was his job as a premier to clean up the mess created by a criminal on the run. To my knowledge, he as a premier did not have his private army so he had to order the regular THai army and police to do it.

Are you making yourself clear that his job was to called on the military to violently put down the demonstrators resulting in 80 civilians killed and more than 2,100 injured? They were demonstrating for a re-election after the constitutional coup secured Ahbisit as the premier. Contrasting with the violent PDRC protestors and the military hands-off laid back attitude. You don't see the co-ordinated efforts to crash the wishes of the people. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Are you making yourself clear that his job was to called on the military to violently put down the demonstrators resulting in 80 civilians killed and more than 2,100 injured? They were demonstrating for a re-election after the constitutional coup secured Ahbisit as the premier. Contrasting with the violent PDRC protestors and the military hands-off laid back attitude. You don't see the co-ordinated efforts to crash the wishes of the people. 

Does anyone seriously still believe that Abhisit was responsible for the 80 deaths, knowing as he did that fatalities would mean political suicide for him? Just think about it, who had everything to gain and nothing to lose (except maybe 80 potential voters) from any carnage? We know that the Army were taking orders from both sides...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Not surprised that you try to twist the words, just your style. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

Does anyone seriously still believe that Abhisit was responsible for the 80 deaths, knowing as he did that fatalities would mean political suicide for him? Just think about it, who had everything to gain and nothing to lose (except maybe 80 potential voters) from any carnage? We know that the Army were taking orders from both sides...

Well he was charged with murder connected with the miitary crackdown and only dismissed on technicality. Moreover CRES authorized the use of live ammo. and CRES was established by Ahbisit and chaired by his deputy Suthep. 

• Like 1

I think he is correct. The highly toxic and spectacularly corrupt senate should not be able to pick the PM. This is a horrible system, designed to steal the position against the will of the people. But Abhisit? Does this guy have any credibility? He was not much of a PM, when he had his shot. And is this the best the democrats can do?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

But Abhisit? Does this guy have any credibility? He was not much of a PM, when he had his shot. And is this the best the democrats can do?

It seemed to me also that he was something of a disappointment. Smart as he is, he seemed limited by his class identity and inability to think outside the box. But I'm no expert on these matters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The people should elect their chosen leader.. not the party.

I prefer the Westminster system -- where they are elected from the parliament

---but of course it has to be by elected members of the parliament not as it seems to be here.

This is the Gordie guy isn't it--- ??

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I prefer the Westminster system -- where they are elected from the parliament

---but of course it has to be by elected members of the parliament not as it seems to be here.

This is the Gordie guy isn't it--- ??

Thailand legislative branch was modeled after the Westminister system until the military change the constitution in 2017 to have the upper house involvement in the election of the prime minister. Obvious reason why they re-write the constitution. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RandiRona said:

So he utilized same General to crush Red shirts in 2010 and now asking him to forego the reason these 250 seats were created?? 

Not sure who utilized whom.... see my next post

4 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

He did what he was told to do. He could just have done what Yingluck did: dissolve parliament and organise elections. That's what democratic governments do when they are perceived as being illegitimate.

Why didn't he do that and instead made a vague promise of elections in November? Because he wanted to be able to appoint the next army chief in September 2010 (what the red shirts wanted to prevent by having elections earlier). Who did he appoint? Prayut, who was in charge of the army in Bangkok when protesters were killed. 

PS That could not also be more clear

"However, at the official handover ceremony on Thursday, General Prayuth warned that the army was ready to play a role if there were further conflicts and Thailand failed to return to order."

https://learngerman.dw.com/en/thailands-new-army-chief-takes-office/a-6066746

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, candide said:

He did what he was told to do. He could just have done what Yingluck did: dissolve parliament and organise elections. That's what democratic governments do when they are perceived as being illegitimate.

Why didn't he do that and instead made a vague promise of elections in November? Because he wanted to be able to appoint the next army chief in September 2010 (what the red shirts wanted to prevent by having elections earlier). Who did he appoint? Prayut, who was in charge of the army in Bangkok when protesters were killed. 

PS That could not also be more clear

"However, at the official handover ceremony on Thursday, General Prayuth warned that the army was ready to play a role if there were further conflicts and Thailand failed to return to order."

https://learngerman.dw.com/en/thailands-new-army-chief-takes-office/a-6066746

Likely the worst selection possible. Could they have possibly found a guy with less leadership ability and less nobility, and more thirst for power and wealth? I doubt it. 

Woe is Thailand under his so called leadership. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Well he was charged with murder connected with the miitary crackdown and only dismissed on technicality. Moreover CRES authorized the use of live ammo. and CRES was established by Ahbisit and chaired by his deputy Suthep. 

Your friend and his family was charged with a lot more, but sometimes the maid and the driver took the blame, than his wife or other family members etc. Probably your friends charged him with murder to kill his political career. They even started rumors about his nationality, education and military service, remember?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Enzian said:

It seemed to me also that he was something of a disappointment. Smart as he is, he seemed limited by his class identity and inability to think outside the box. But I'm no expert on these matters.

One word "Money" he had not the amount available to pay for his personal promotion, to buy votes and popularity unlike the criminal family that he replaced.

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Thailand legislative branch was modeled after the Westminister system until the military change the constitution in 2017 to have the upper house involvement in the election of the prime minister. Obvious reason why they re-write the constitution. 

So if I read it well you are in the same page as Abhisit? He wants that part to be changed again. Make up your mind please ????

27 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Sorry Hotchilli--- slipped back into English slang--- Geordie = someone born in or near Newcastle north England.

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, RandiRona said:

With all the time lapse, it appears that too many have forgotten who Marky really is and is feeling left out, betrayed by the club. 

• Like 1