Abhisit Backs Calls To End Senators’ Role In Picking Post-Election PM

webfact

1 minute ago, oxo1947 said:

Sorry Hotchilli--- slipped back into English slang--- Geordie = someone born in or near Newcastle north England.

I am aware of the "Geordie tag"

I was born south of England on the Hampshire coast.

Never sold coal or supported Aston Villa..????

13 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

One word "Money" he had not the amount available to pay for his personal promotion, to buy votes and popularity unlike the criminal family that he replaced.

I supposed that would be dependent on which familial clan you speak of, which could go into the numbers.

Yet, as we contemplate influential criminal families and their extensions, there is only one that stands out heads above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zzaa09 said:

I supposed that would be dependent on which familial clan you speak of, which could go into the numbers.

Yet, as we contemplate influential criminal families and their extensions, there is only one that stands out heads above.

Correct there are a couple of these families, one of Buriram comes to mind. However these kind of families are not only available in Thailand. Many countries have them, politics seems a business for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Well he was charged with murder connected with the miitary crackdown and only dismissed on technicality. Moreover CRES authorized the use of live ammo. and CRES was established by Ahbisit and chaired by his deputy Suthep. 

He was charged under the Yingluck administration (no surprise there) and cleared under the Junta (no surprise there), just a bit of tit-for-tat sabre rattling. Live ammo was necessary as it was being used from behind the barricades, although as I understand it the instructions from the CRES were to not shoot to kill. My point is that soldiers were receiving instructions from both sides, one of which would receive a massive political boost if there were fatalities. Don't get me started on Suthep though, the man should have been locked away years ago.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

He was charged under the Yingluck administration (no surprise there) and cleared under the Junta (no surprise there), just a bit of tit-for-tat sabre rattling. Live ammo was necessary as it was being used from behind the barricades, although as I understand it the instructions from the CRES were to not shoot to kill. My point is that soldiers were receiving instructions from both sides, one of which would receive a massive political boost if there were fatalities. Don't get me started on Suthep though, the man should have been locked away years ago.

Loyal and privileged club members are never looked upon as wrong doers. 

On 5/18/2022 at 6:04 PM, billd766 said:

Did you mean the guy who stood for election back in 2001, and his party won and became the ruling party? The same guy who won a legal election and was the PM for the 4 year term? The same guy who went to the polls a second time and who won an overwhelming majority in parliament and was removed from power by a military coup? The charges against him were weak and unproven anyway.

Is this the same guy whose sister also went to the polls in a perfectly legal election and won? The guy whose sister dissolved parliament ready for another legal election and who was deposed by what a surprise, yet another military coup? Who was brought to court on corruption charges which, once again were unproven?

If you meant Thaksin Shinawatra then why not say his name.

Do you honestly believe that IF a free and fair election were held and Thaksin and his party were allowed a free vote against Prayuth and the PPRP that Thaksin and his party would win hands down?

Try to remember that Thaksin, Yingluck et al were elected freely by the Thai people, and that every military coup drags the country backwards a couple of decades and proper democracy twice as far.

Am I supporter of Thaksin?

Not really. But if the choice is the devil you know or the one imposed on you, choose the devil you know every time.

So he did nothing wrong, he must be an angel?

In the real world he would not even been allowed to participate in any elections as he would have been condemned for the things he did.

Net worth 3 billion when entering office, net worth 36 billion when he left. And he even did not pay taxes on the sale.

As you can see I'm not a supporter of him, I liked him a couple months when I arrived in early nineties but that's all. Changed my mind very fast when I found out he is no different from his European colleagues.

Up to this day I still don't have any person in THai politics that I like.

You know Berlusconi (italian politician) well Berlusconi was peanuts compared to this one.

He abused his power over the whole line and mixed his politics with his family business. Democratic elections my aSS, even when they catch them red handed, they still walk free.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

So he did nothing wrong, he must be an angel?

In the real world he would not even been allowed to participate in any elections as he would have been condemned for the things he did.

Net worth 3 billion when entering office, net worth 36 billion when he left. And he even did not pay taxes on the sale.

As you can see I'm not a supporter of him, I liked him a couple months when I arrived in early nineties but that's all. Changed my mind very fast when I found out he is no different from his European colleagues.

Up to this day I still don't have any person in THai politics that I like.

You know Berlusconi (italian politician) well Berlusconi was peanuts compared to this one.

He abused his power over the whole line and mixed his politics with his family business. Democratic elections my aSS, even when they catch them red handed, they still walk free.

There you go again, putting words in my mouth which I have never said.

I stopped reading at the end of the first paragraph.

If you are going to quote what I said, please get it right. If you cannot get it right, then don't bother to reply to my post at all.

2 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Maybe not related but I asked a German friend if he knew the square root of 81.
He just said no.

Like my cat just refused food, I asked and it said Mai-ow......

• Haha 1