37-year-old suspect who allegedly assaulted Russian tourist in Pattaya released by police due to lack of victim’s testimony

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Nong Prue sub-district, Bang Lamung, Chonburi — Police released a prime 37-year-old male suspect in a brutal assault on a Russian female tourist yesterday because the victim could not provide positive testimony.

A 37-year-old male suspect, Kantheepob Thanachotsomboon, who allegedly followed the victim in his vehicle to the reservoir, was summoned to the Nong Prue Police Station yesterday, May 20th, to hear the charges. However, he was shortly released by police as the victim reportedly could not provide positive testimony or identification of the suspect.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Nongprue police told local media they couldn’t issue an arrest warrant without a positive testimony from the victim, who was still recovering from the traumatic experience, so they had to let the suspect go.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/21/update-37-year-old-suspect-who-allegedly-assaulted-russian-tourist-released-by-police-last-night-due-to-lack-of-victims-testimony/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-05-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 19
  • Haha 2

The lesson this predator just learned is next time find places without CCTV cameras, wear a mask, attack from behind and at night and the victim can't identify you.

What about the theory floating around AN, that this school teacher was offered money to "not remember" what the attacker looked like?

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

nah  ......she's Russian so there's nothing in it for the cops.

Not always true, I was near to a case where a Russian had to hand over $5000 'compensation'....I was told the police got a serious chunk of it and the guy walked.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, bbko said:

The lesson this predator just learned is next time find places without CCTV cameras, wear a mask, attack from behind and at night and the victim can't identify you.

What about the theory floating around AN, that this school teacher was offered money to "not remember" what the attacker looked like?

There were cctv cameras in the area and they identified his vehicle and that he followed her and made a u turn to come back.  It apparently didn't show the actual attack.

The rumor you post is utterly ridiculous and shouldn't be spread  

I guess if the word spreads its not safe in Pattaya for foreigners then the law enforcement would be different 

Edited by Dan O
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

OTOH victim could have some 'friends' that will arrange some justice for her.

Much easier to "visit" the alleged attacker if he's not locked up.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Don't get it. I thought he freely admitted it ? Justice my bottom, what about the next female he wants to vent his frustrations out on ? 

Why would female tourist even want to come to Thailand? Is this justice? Or just us?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1