Give me Thailand any day over the Philippines! It’s SLIGHTLY less mad…

webfact

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

They both have their +++  The girls speaking English is great--but Just something about Catholicity that puts me off the place.

Silly I know--I even got into an argument with a girl that I was suppose to be bar fining ---

I agree with you,

Both have their pros and cons, but nothing overwhelming to choose one country above the other. If I were choosing from the UK today, it'd probably be Philippines or Cambodia rather than Thailand.

Just because of ease of entry and ease of VISA.

Obviously I currently have a load of baggage in Thailand, so no point to jump ship.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

Maybe 30,000 in Phil killed because of drugs.   Basically do anything and just say drugs….not safe.    Can happen anywhere, but in the Philippines it seems more prevalent.  30,000 is a lot.   If 30 in America, biggest story for 100 years

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I agree with you,

Both have their pros and cons, but nothing overwhelming to choose one country above the other. If I were choosing from the UK today, it'd probably be Philippines or Cambodia rather than Thailand.

Just because of ease of entry and ease of VISA.

Obviously I currently have a load of baggage in Thailand, so no point to jump ship.

sCambodia would be absolutely last on my list of Asian destinations. 

At least the PI don't need a wire mesh cage to protect you from being robbed en-route in a trike!

And the Scambo girls all have lady-mustaches, Whuthe?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Pinoys are incredibly talented individuals.
In groups or as a people, their medieval, fanatic, unhinged Catholicism and stupidity is amazing (voting for the son / fan of the corrupt dictator and mass murderer Marcos). 
However, a Pinoy smile means what it is - a smile ..... 

Edited by Chopinbkk
  • Like 2

Been there 12/15 times and as far north as Laoag City  and south to Zamboango .. many +/- but the one thing that is significantly better is the bars and music ...in Manila,for example, there are 2 Cowboy Grill bars and the music (all English) can be superb. 

Prices, in numbers, are the same but u get 66 pesos rather than 43 bt to the £ .... Etc..

• Like 2

Rooster, thanks for another amusing news update. I like your take on the Philippines as well, and you

forgot about their unreliable power as well, plus all their troubles with cyclones. 

When I started visiting the Kingdom of Thailand, it was a very big adventure for me. I visited a lot of 

Temples, museums, and a lot of different bars in the nightlife areas of Bangkok. I never got to see

inside the Oriental Hotel, as it was too hot to wear a tie. However I was very impressed with the Shangri la 

Hotel nearby. I guess Thailand wants all the Indians to return, as so many of them seem to be wearing

easy to grab, expensive gold jewelry. Talking about Thais and their lottery numbers, you forgot to mention the poor lizard that 

got covered in powder. It always amazes me the number of ways people try to find lucky numbers.

The USA has another mass killing, this time it was children, but soon after the NRA has their yearly gathering,

with such support as Trump and Cruz, so nothing will be changing any time soon. The 2nd amendment is worse

than brainwashing, as it has made a mind set with the gun supporters. Some even think that the AR15 is just a hunting

rifle that shoots a lot of bullets very fast. Sad. That old geezer who thinks of himself as something holy, is also in the 

news, I hope him and his followers fade away soon. Even their dwelling seems to be on government land and

not on some ones property. Ewww, Second coming indeed. Cheers.

• Like 1

All other things aside,  there is no denying that Thailand is better value overall.  Accommodation is usually the 2nd biggest cost after the plane ticket. Thailand is better value than the Philippines for what you get.  Also better infrastructure.

I think Vietnam is probably better value still, but it's pretty close.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chopinbkk said:

Pinoys are incredibly talented individuals.
In groups or as a people, their medieval, fanatic, unhinged Catholicism and stupidity is amazing (voting for the son / fan of the corrupt dictator and mass murderer Marcos). 
However, a Pinoy smile means what it is - a smile ..... 

Not really - Sometimes - they might smile less  but smiles in all cultures can signify  more than warmth  or sincerity - In Thailand  they  can denote fear, respect, worry,  caution. There are at least 13 different  smiles in Thai culture that function  as 'non prosodic features of language' - body language if you will  but most farang  impose their own western cultural  values, limitations on to Thais that link smiles  to sincerity. A other interesting  part of Thai 'socio cultural  linguistics' is their  'heart language' which express some concepts  that don't translate. I've worked  with Philippinos in many countries- the girls tend to be boring and  characterless compared to Thais and have few cultural  values that are discernable from American  culture. I also visited the Philippines  for fun and found it very boring compared  to Thailand, backward, dangerous and poor food. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

They are both cheap to live but Thailand is cheaper, girls are hotter and the Thai food is way better. Why live anywhere else???

Well, … Thais are small vehicle Buddhists, …. and Philipinas are Catholics !!! ... Quite a difference in Attitudes there I think !!! ???  … (And I have lived in Both Places, and well Rooster, had a similar relationship as you did … but then well .... Third World Catholics !!! ... No Thanks !!!  ...... So Vooom !!! Back to Thailand !!!)

• Haha 1

Well, I might be Early with this one this week Rooster, But, it is probably worth noting here, in Advance, as I am sure that you will be dealing with it next week. …. And well I think that for SURE now that they ARE looking pretty closely at the Speed Highway cameras in the Ayutthaya, and possibly other Northern areas Close to Bangkok, now.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1260853-french-tourist-killed-while-crossing-road/#comment-17381437

… Yes, I know that Road, Rojana road well, ... and YES I also DO like avoiding it if possible !!! ... a Main Highway, Fast and 5 lanes in Places, and through a business area, with shops along BOTH sides of it !!! …. and the Main road between the center of Ayutthaya and Bangkok, ...

And well, judging by the article, the spot where she was killed is in about the most Dangerous spot on the roads, in the district I think ! ....  But with all due respect for the woman, she was a Tourist, here for one day and did not know this. … Though I am sure that No locals would ever be pushing their bikes across the road just there. !!!  And it was dark also looking at the Photos.

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-949265

Still, … Moving on !!! ... and for the benefit of all drivers !!!

…. I got caught by a speed ? Changing too many Lanes ? Camera yesterday's. !!!! ... The cops called my wife’s phone, as her name would be on the Rego. ... but she did not know what to do or say, so she just said “Sorry” and Hung up. ... She is going to talk to her son the truck driver about it first ? ... And She expects that they will phone again. ... I do not know if they will follow through on it though ??? ...

… I do not think that this was just bad luck, being picked up by a Camera the first time in ??? 15 Years ??? … Well 30 + counting motor bikes, …  and I was also very well aware of the speed limits, and Trying to follow them !!! as I always do !!!

…. But, there is a new Road Safety blitz !!!! And I was not speeding ? As far as I could tell, but I might have changed from the fast lane, to the slower ones, a bit before slowing down enough ?  ??? Or changing to many lanes at a time ??? … Any way it was quoted here in ASIAN NOW, that they are particularly concentrating, on Serial re offenders, and people that do not pay their fines. ... So maybe it was just a warning. ??? ...

… And I WILL now take much more care !!! ... and just pay the fine if I have to.

… But now, also there was this Unfortunately a 38 year old French Woman who  was killed on a 5 lane Arterial Highway I must add, near here, a couple of days ago !!! ... ... While wheeling her bike across the road !!! ...  … Like in about the most dangerous spot that I know !!! ... Like no locals would do that !!! ... But well she was a tourist, and did not know !!! ... Like a spot between the new Guest house area ! And a very popular temple. !!!

I think that it might have been at or near traffic Lights ? But I cannot tell from the Photos. … If it was, well it was not entirely her fault at all, just a bit of lack of local knowledge I guess ??? (Like pushing your bike in front of a moving vehicle !!! ??? …)

Anyway, …. A 5 lane multiple speed arterial road ... with slip roads coming in, and no view of the foot path from the center lanes !!! … And through a business area !!! … So slow traffic looking for places !!! … (Like I have been on that road) … frustrating the drivers more !!!! ... . And just after a congested 2 lane bridge,  ...  so all the frustrated car drivers, (Like me also right there also, on occasion !!!)… are just trying to speed up, to get out of there !!   And get home !!! ... Like not miss the lights at the Chedai, or it would be 10 Minutes more on the trip !!!!  ….. …. And then there is a French Woman pushing a bike across the highway in front of you !!! ....

…. Like if there is no lights, but just a pedestrian crossing there !!! ... It should be removed, as it is in such a dangerous spot. Like if you stopped your car any way, you probably would have a huge chance of being hit from behind any way !!!

… Anyway, they also now are probably looking for scape goats now as well. Right ??? ... So well all you Motorists heading North from Bangkok !!! BE WARE !!!

… And I do NOT want to lose MY license either !!! … So a warning to any of you driving in or through Ayutthaya North of Bangkok !!! … They ARE looking at the speed Camera Images now !!! …. For sure !!! And I know myself, from bitter experience !!! …

So Look out People !!!

…  And I have my fingers crossed Also !!!  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1