Alcohol sales ban in Thailand between 2 PM – 5 PM to be lifted nationwide on July 1st but only in hotels, says Tourism Minister

webfact

Was this ever a thing? I just spent 4 months in Pattaya and only 7-11 restricted alcohol sales between 2-5pm, everything else was no problem 

Edit: oh wait, Hooters went all in. I turned up at 1 pm for lunch and they told me to come back at 5 if I wanted a beer (so they didn't bother with the 11-2pm)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well the major supermarkets, like Big C and Lotus also have the restrictive hours. Stopped the groups of farangs drinking in AC comfort and at supermarket prices in the food courts. 

I have been able to buy alcohol between those hours at Villa Market.  Don't know how they get around the law.

Around 5 years or so ago the law used to be you couldn't buy between 2-5PM unless you bought so many liters worth.  I think you had to buy 15 big bottles or so.  But then they closed that.

Just now, rwill said:

I have been able to buy alcohol between those hours at Villa Market.  Don't know how they get around the law.

Around 5 years or so ago the law used to be you couldn't buy between 2-5PM unless you bought so many liters worth.  I think you had to buy 15 big bottles or so.  But then they closed that.

Yes I have distributors near me that do not seem to have a problem selling  a few cold ones from the fridge, or a case at 3pm. 

• Like 1

It COULD be a step in the right direction and the Muppets in charge admitting they're wrong without actually doing so.

Most 'bars' have rooms upstairs, so could claim to be hotels. They might even be registered as hotels.

Then in a few months the bigwigs at CP will say 'hey this isn't fair. Let us sell in 7Eleven.'... and there you have it!

Ok, time for me to wake up, smell the coffee and do some work! ????

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, tukadadoll said:

Indeed, they are getting rid of a restriction that very few bars or businesses adhered to. Only supermarkets, Seven Eleven, apparently hooters, and chains like MK. 

In fairness to Hooters, when they wouldn't serve me a beer until 5pm it was in mid Januray and bars had just opened from covid lockdown. It was enough to put me off so I never went back but they may have changed policy since (don't want a defamation suit lol)

• Like 2