Need 4" x 4" Lumber (100 mm x 100 mm)​

Danderman123

I'm in Pattaya, and i want to raise my bed. My design is to join 500 mm x 100 mm x 100 mm sections into an L shape, and put one under each corner of the bed for support and stability. I will paint the exterior side for looks and for termites. 

I'll take 2x4s, if 4x4s aren't available. 

Will a lumber shop cut to my specifications? 

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Will a lumber shop cut to my specifications? 

I don't know about Thailand, but from watching many YouTube videos about woodworking it seems that there are different grades of lumber and basically all of them are never 100% according to "specifications".

When you buy 2x4 most likely you won't get 2x4 and the same with all other sizes.

It seems all this is supposed to be raw material which has to be worked on before it can be used with precision.

Please correct me if I am wrong - that's what I learned.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know about Thailand, but from watching many YouTube videos about woodworking it seems that there are different grades of lumber and basically all of them are never 100% according to "specifications".

When you buy 2x4 most likely you won't get 2x4 and the same with all other sizes.

It seems all this is supposed to be raw material which has to be worked on before it can be used with precision.

The sizes quoted are the rough sawn and the rough sawn sizes will vary a little as they are sawn to size when wet so shrink a bit. The PAR (planed all round) size for a 2 x 4 is 1 ½  x 3 ½ 

However you can get the wood yards to take off less if you ask.

if you really want 2 x 4 PAR it will have to come out of a larger size and the saw mills don’t cut to 2 ½  x 4 ½  so it will be planed from a 4 x 6 so quite a lot will be planed off.

Also rough sawn or PAR is all raw material 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You are thinking of DAR (Dressed All Round).

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Thaiwatsadu down stairs in the building supply section.

100 x 100 Rubberwood posts, sold in various lengths.

Where is this place? 

Never mind: its a chain, i just have to find one with a downstairs. 

Edited by Danderman123

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You are thinking of DAR (Dressed All Round).

The standard term in the UK is PAR or PSE

In the us it is S4S

the US can also be S1S, S2S, S3S as well 

DAR is a Jonny come lately term and usually has a slightly  different meaning 

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The standard term in the UK is PAR or PSE

In the us it is S4S

the US can also be S1S, S2S, S3S as well 

DAR is a Jonny come lately term and usually has a slightly  different meaning 

The standard term in Aus is DAR.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's pretty much all cut to specification, you just have to understand the specification. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It's pretty much all cut to specification, you just have to understand the specification. 

I know my specifications.

if they can’t cut to my specifications, I will have them deliver to my place, and I will cut it myself. As long as it fits in the elevator.