Customers outraged over failure of Bangkok Bank’s mobile app on pay day

snoop1130

logo-5-1.png

Many netizens took to Twitter to complain about Bangkok Bank’s mobile application, which had been down “due to current high volume of access” since early this morning (Thursday), the day many people’s salaries are transferred into their accounts, making the hashtags, translated as “Bangkok is down” and “Bangkok Bank”, top trending on Twitter.

Many netizens ranted that the mobile app had been inaccessible since 5am. At the time of this report, the app remained inaccessible for many, with several complaining about not being able complete any transactions or even transfer money to their families.

Netizens even poked fun at a female cartoon character, which is seen bowing to customers on the banking app, along with the service-is-unavailable message.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/customers-outraged-over-failure-of-bangkok-banks-mobile-app-on-pay-day/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

Experienced it myself this morning. Didn't even get the usual notification that my salary had been credited to my account. Still managed to do a couple of transactions after repeated attempts though.   

I can feel their pain, you just want it to work when you need it. I didn't even notice the outage myself, not having used the app since Monday.

Serves as a reminder that it's still a good idea to keep carrying around the ATM card, despite having switched to cardless ATM withdrawals via the app.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I can feel their pain, you just want it to work when you need it. I didn't even notice the outage myself, not having used the app since Monday.

Serves as a reminder that it's still a good idea to keep carrying around the ATM card, despite having switched to cardless ATM withdrawals via the app.

We used a Bangkok Bank card in a Bangkok Bank ATM a few days ago. It told us to check with the bank. There was another Bangkok Bank ATM next to it so my wife tried that one and it worked. Last week we used the card in a KrungThai ATM and received the message that the card couldn't be used in that machine. Another time a Bangkok Bank ATM didn't produce the money. Seems as if the bank's IT system is as reliable as the governments.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Many netizens ranted that the mobile app had been inaccessible since 5am. At the time of this report, the app remained inaccessible for many, with several complaining about not being able complete any transactions or even transfer money to their families.

Hub of crashing apps.

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

I can't see the problem ,I only use the laptop at home for Any Banking.

It can't be that urgent ,one can wait to get home/or stay home and do it, or do the transfers next day.

Yes indeed, just like myself. I use my home computer to access my Personal Internet Banking account to perform transactions. When out shopping I use my debit card or cash. 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Last week we used the card in a KrungThai ATM and received the message that the card couldn't be used in that machine.

I believe that BKK Bank atm cards only work in a BKK Bank atm.

Edited by Tracyb
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

I believe that BKK Bank atm cards only work in a BKK Bank atm.

I had no problem here in Cambodia using my Bangkok Bank Mastercard Debit Card at an ATM to withdraw my pension money from BKK Bank before I opened a new account with a Cambodian bank.

15 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I had no problem here in Cambodia using my Bangkok Bank Mastercard Debit Card at an ATM to withdraw my pension money from BKK Bank before I opened a new account with a Cambodian bank.

Perhaps because it was accessing the MasterCard network outside of the country?

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:26 AM, inactiveposter said:

They’ve been closing some branches “due to Covid.” Branch at Big C Extra is closed with no signs indicating if it will re-open. ATM’s, Passbook machine and Deposit machines gone. One ATM remaining on ground floor..

What's your point?

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:29 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

We used a Bangkok Bank card in a Bangkok Bank ATM a few days ago. It told us to check with the bank. There was another Bangkok Bank ATM next to it so my wife tried that one and it worked.

That usually just means that the machine is out of cash, nothing to do with "IT reliability".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

We used a Bangkok Bank card in a Bangkok Bank ATM a few days ago. It told us to check with the bank. There was another Bangkok Bank ATM next to it so my wife tried that one and it worked.

That usually just means that the machine is out of cash, nothing to do with "IT reliability".

If it's out of cash it doesn't tell you to check with your bank. It says the machine is out of service.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, digger70 said:

I can't see the problem ,I only use the laptop at home for Any Banking.

It can't be that urgent ,one can wait to get home/or stay home and do it, or do the transfers next day.

Not exactly sympathetic are you. Not everyone has internet at home and many don't even have a computer. In fact my own wife only uses mobile apps for her bank accounts. She's never had or used a computer.

So for many, it certainly would be a problem.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GarryP said:
On 7/2/2022 at 1:05 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.

Used my Bangkok Bank ATM card with a KBank AM machine just an hour or so ago. No problem. 

That was my point.  I rarely use my BBL card in their ATMS, I usually use a Krungsri or UOB machines

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bangkok Barry said:
On 7/2/2022 at 1:01 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

That usually just means that the machine is out of cash, nothing to do with "IT, reliability".

Expand  

If it's out of cash it doesn't tell you to check with your bank.

If an ATM is not yet "out of service" and you're told to "contact your bank" knowing that there is no issue with you, your account or your card then the machine probably is out of cash, particularly if another of the same bank's ATMs accepts your card.   ATM's do not instantly go "out of service" as soon as the cash is exhausted.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

I have four bank apps, Bangkok bank is the only one that takes a minute to log into

You're referring to an infuriating delay before it will allow the user name and password to be entered after opening the app on a computer, yes?   I've noticed that over the past month or so also, annoying as fluck.   Logging in to the BBL phone app is instant for me.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If an ATM is not yet "out of service" and you're told to "contact your bank" knowing that there is no issue with you, your account or your card then the machine probably is out of cash, particularly if another of the same bank's ATMs accepts your card.   ATM's do not instantly go "out of service" as soon as the cash is exhausted.

I bow to your greater knowledge. Or different opinion.

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

I bow to your greater knowledge. Or different opinion.

The former, thank you!

Edited by Liverpool Lou