Motorcycle taxis protest against extension of GrabBike riders’ service

snoop1130

logo-23.png

A group of motorcycle taxi drivers, known locally as “Win” riders, rallied in front of the Transport Ministry today (Friday) to protest against the Land Transport Department’s recent decision to allow app-based GrabBike riders to operate, without registration, for a further two months after the July 15th deadline.

The group submitted a protest letter, addressed to Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob, demanding that the Land Transport Department’s decision be rescinded.

Santi Patipanrat, a representative of the Motorcycle Taxi Association of Thailand, said that the extension of the operation period for GrabBike riders only benefits the service provider, GrabTaxi despite the fact that their service is technically illegal.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/motorcycle-taxis-protest-against-extension-of-grabbike-riders-service/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

All delivery drivers no matter who they work for transport people and items, and as such should all be required to be registered to some degree by the DLT.  It should be incumbent upon the company to register the individual and when in operation for said company have a company assigned type of ID plate upon the bike or car.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Why should they have to do that?

Money is tight, let them earn some!

With that kind of a view, why don't you hire my neighbors 18 year old son who has a bike to make your deliveries, or better yet your neighbors kid.  Unlicensed to work is unlicensed.  Money is tight because Grab does not pay the wages they should, neither do the 6 other companies, yet you do not see them being in the line of fire with DLT.....Food Panda, Line-man, Go-Jek, Shoppe Food, Robinhood, Happy Fresh.  Then look at the alternate mail and other item delivery companies such as J&T, Flash, Kerry, Nim Express.  Their riders do not ride a properly licensed motorbike either.  Everyone should be on the same page and wages should be fairly equal across the board, except for the Taxi riders for both the Mafia and then the Grab motor taxi's as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DezLez said:

How does the issue of a so called "license" improve the quality of service or wages?

It is just a "vehicle" for more opportunies to provde bribes for the powers that be and does nothing but take money from the drivers/workers all over Thailand!

This is Thailand!

Your in a world of make believe.  Tell me then how licensing the taxi drivers, whether its cars or bikes, as well as those vans that transport folks all over make them safer? Heres your answer....well for one they can have the license suspended, fined and even removed from service.  How do you do that with an unlicensed delivery person.  Oh Wait, your not licensed to drive a car or a bike so you do not have valid insurance if your involved in an accident, the same as the grab riders and others......nice try.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DezLez said:

In some other countries I could possibly agree with you but in Thailand a "Licence" is just a ticket to bribery and not better service/safety!

So you don't have a license to drive your own car or bike here because it's just a ticket to bribery, good to know as you don't have insurance that would be usable either.....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

So you don't have a license to drive your own car or bike here because it's just a ticket to bribery, good to know as you don't have insurance that would be usable either.....

What has that statement got to do with bike licences?

You still have not bothered to answer the question;

"How does the issue of a so called "license" improve the quality of service or wages?" Especially in Thailand!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DezLez said:

"How does the issue of a so called "license" improve the quality of service or wages?" Especially in Thailand!!!

Asked and answered, moving on....

• Confused 3

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Asked and answered, moving on....

Please show an actual answer of yours to the question ""How does the issue of a so called "license" improve the quality of service or wages?" Especially in Thailand!!!" that does not involve a spurious non answer but just a pointless return question from you?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You are correct that I do not have a license to drive my own bike or car here.

That is because I do not own or drive a car or bike here!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

With that kind of a view, why don't you hire my neighbors 18 year old son who has a bike to make your deliveries, or better yet your neighbors kid.  Unlicensed to work is unlicensed.  Money is tight because Grab does not pay the wages they should, neither do the 6 other companies, yet you do not see them being in the line of fire with DLT.....Food Panda, Line-man, Go-Jek, Shoppe Food, Robinhood, Happy Fresh.  Then look at the alternate mail and other item delivery companies such as J&T, Flash, Kerry, Nim Express.  Their riders do not ride a properly licensed motorbike either.  Everyone should be on the same page and wages should be fairly equal across the board, except for the Taxi riders for both the Mafia and then the Grab motor taxi's as well.

A bit confused by your post. But I'll ask an honest question. Why do you think that only Grab was targeted by the government? Why not the others? I've been puzzled by that.

• Like 2

All of these motocy companies lack control of the delivery riders and their bikes, with resultant high numbers of motocycles or scooters that lack maintenance and being riden by people who have no regards for other road users and in many cases lack insurance. Grab is just one of the errant companies operating, all of these delivery companies need to take ownership of their riders and equipment. Regular licence checks, bike inspections, insurance checks and police checks are required in order to regulate the industry. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

A bit confused by your post. But I'll ask an honest question. Why do you think that only Grab was targeted by the government? Why not the others? I've been puzzled by that.

My belief is they were targeted because they also provide Moto Taxi, and regular transport services.  I have used grab in the past for paperwork delivery around Bangkok as it is faster then going into Kerry or J&T and mailing.  I use the app, hail a rider for the delivery, within 30 minutes they arrive, pick up the package and then deliver it, they are then paid.  I do tip them on the App.  The issue with Grab is they are not covered by any type of insurance like a regular Moto Taxi or Thai Post is.  From what I understand the DLT registration gives them some security, but it costs, and then Grab itself should be paying this for their employee's upon hiring them.  They could still have a regular plate on the bike but also have another type of registration sticker, such as a PUC or MCC number permit like they do in the US.  That's just my take on it.  I know the wages are an issue, and why I try to give them a tip when they make deliveries.

10 hours ago, DezLez said:

Read my post to you slowly and you will see where I laid it out. "Heres your answer....well for one they can have the license suspended, fined and even removed from service.  How do you do that with an unlicensed delivery person." 

Life as a fly by night rider is tough enough and there is no way they can be paid the same unless Grab and the other companies are registered with the DLT and then fall under the laws that cover transport and commerce.  The company itself is getting very rich on the backs of these riders.  It should not be the riders responsibility all unto themselves.   

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A group of motorcycle taxi drivers, known locally as “Win” riders, rallied in front of the Transport Ministry today (Friday) to protest against the Land Transport Department’s recent decision to allow app-based GrabBike riders to operate, without registration, for a further two months after the July 15th deadline.

Haters of any competition.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DezLez said:

Licence requires public liability insurance-better than nothing which is what you get now!

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My belief is they were targeted because they also provide Moto Taxi, and regular transport services.  I have used grab in the past for paperwork delivery around Bangkok as it is faster then going into Kerry or J&T and mailing.  I use the app, hail a rider for the delivery, within 30 minutes they arrive, pick up the package and then deliver it, they are then paid.  I do tip them on the App.  The issue with Grab is they are not covered by any type of insurance like a regular Moto Taxi or Thai Post is.  From what I understand the DLT registration gives them some security, but it costs, and then Grab itself should be paying this for their employee's upon hiring them.  They could still have a regular plate on the bike but also have another type of registration sticker, such as a PUC or MCC number permit like they do in the US.  That's just my take on it.  I know the wages are an issue, and why I try to give them a tip when they make deliveries.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Let's see how it goes then. Good of you for giving tips, especially with the current raising costs for them to deliver. I usually give 20 baht in cash upon delivery and they seem to appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

that lack maintenance and being riden by people who have no regards for other road users and in many cases lack insurance

You have just described a large portion of Thai motor bike drivers whether Grab or not

• Confused 1

All hired vehicles should clearly display an official ID.  A few years ago a Grab taxi driver tried to rip me off, with the aid of the police, by claiming I had caused criminal damage to her taxi.  I had photos of the driver and taxi, but there was no way of identifying her.  And of course Grab were completely unhelpful.  

17 hours ago, biggles45 said:

You have just described a large portion of Thai motor bike drivers whether Grab or not

The green garb and driving style makes them stand out!

Those motorcycle taxi drivers and taxi drivers are bad , lazy and selfish

Many are cheated and gave poor services ...  people hate them

When people want more choices more competition these goofy group don't like it

So, they can cheated and gave poor services to customers all they want

People want more choices , more competition

♦  Bring ... Grab ,  Uber .... Private Taxi or whatever to serve people for better services.

♦  Thailand need Free Enterprise for all.

. . 

My step daughter's (Thai) licensed moto rider doubled the cost of her ride home from school the other day - because he said he does it to everyone. The day a license actually means anything to the passenger and/or when I can get more than 1 in 20 car taxis to use a meter then I might consider giving a damn. Till then, not a chance.

I don't use moto taxis myself but use lots of cars. Stopped using Grab a long time ago when their prices went through the roof. I now use Bolt and always tip the driver around 50% directly. Much cheaper than Grab and the driver also gets more direct cash because of the tip.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:43 PM, JimboJ said:

All hired vehicles should clearly display an official ID.  A few years ago a Grab taxi driver tried to rip me off, with the aid of the police, by claiming I had caused criminal damage to her taxi.  I had photos of the driver and taxi, but there was no way of identifying her.  And of course Grab were completely unhelpful.  

I do believe the part about attempted rip off with the help of corrupted police, but "no way of identifying" seems impossible. Grab taxi is an online service, you have to book it from an app which clearly shows the car licence plate number, the driver's name, and all possible details such as car model and color.