U.S. approves $820 million military aid package for Ukraine; Russia says iron curtain is ‘already descending’

Rimmer

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

To be frank, yes that is my attitude. A pity what is happening in Ukraine, but they aren't worth a single life of an American soldier. Maybe Zelensky shouldn't have been so cocky and should have sat down with Russia before everything kicked off. By the way, what is YOUR endgame- you support direct military involvement? US air force flying combat missions? 

Love your chart. It shows that, even in GDP terms, the major nations of Europe are slackers compared to the US.  So I ask you- where should the $40 billion come from? What government department should lose budget to send to Ukraine? 

Why should that 40 billion have to be deducted from  other departments' budgets?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

IF not, then where will it come from? You then have two options- borrow it (probably from China) or increase the deficit. Which do you think is more acceptable? 

It is also $115 for every man woman and child in the USA. $400 per family. Now do you think most people would be happy giving up that $400 to aid Ukraine or would they rather have it to pay for their groceries?

I think the polls have given us a very clear answer to that question.

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Your claims were false, I pointed that out already, the US's contribution to military and humanitarian aid is fantastic but in terms of its GDP it is no where near the top countries supplying aid but why does that matter to you? It turns out now your not even American but stamp your feet saying the money is better spent on building the wall.............lol

I find your "I don't care" attitude to the real humanitarian suffering of the people of Ukraine disturbing but at least you finished off your post making me laugh with your suggestion, lets forget about Russia and go after China instead ????

Last night a Russian state official Adalbi Shkhagoshev stated that Russia rejects the notion of a rule-based world order and has been trying "to squeeze out the democratization"

Sorry its not going to happen

IF you look at your precious list you will see the nations at the top are all small and inconsequential. Of the MAJOR European countries on the list, they all spend less than the US. I don't think using Latvia as a standard has much merit.

I DO feel sorry for the Ukranian people, getting dragged into a conflict like this. By all means give to the Red Cross if you want. But like so many people who support the conflict, you don't have any idea of the end game. You have not said what price you are willing to pay to end the war, what constitutes 'winning', and so on. I say that Ukraine is worth zero lives and zero dollars, at least to my country and the US. How about YOU? What specifically are you willing to sacrifice to keep Ukraine out of Russian control? Answer that and I may take what you say seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, placeholder said:

Tell that to Finland,, Norway Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Moldova, Georgia...

Those countries can all defend themselves, form an alliance if they want, or make peace with their big neighbour.  But Russia is not a global threat on any scale, particularly compared to China. 

Same question I have asked others- what price are you willing to pay to keep Russia out of Ukraine or any of those countries? Is it worth war? How many thousands of dead soldiers? How many billions of dollars? 

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Save your pity to someone who actually cares about you opinion

...and still waiting to hear anything from you other than platitudes and fluff. Let's say the current $40 billion gets spent and the war rages on. You OK with spending ANOTHER $40 billion? Sending in troops? Starting a regional conflict?  You have yet to show any concrete proposal at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

These countries already are in an alliance it's called NATO. Maybe you've heard of it?

As for how much to spend?Whatever it takes. Russia poses too great a threat to Europe to be ignored. It also sends a message to China.

Ukraine isnt in NATO. 

You are right that Russia poses a threat to Europe. So let Europe solve the problem. Thing is, they got too addicted to Russian energy to actually have any political heft. Russia, as I have said before, has an economy on par with South Korea in terms of GDP.  They can hardly be more than an annoyance. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1