Leading Thai doctors calling for mask mandate to be reinstated

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I was over the licensing office this morning and every Thai without exception had on a mask, so I don't suppose it would bother them if it became compulsory again. 

The code word is:  “OBEY” 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Catoni said:

Your mask while sitting outside with them….is useless.

You are right to a certain extent, it is about signalling, signalling respect for the local population, but that would be an alien concept to many.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, James105 said:

How did you eat dinner with your mask on?

You missed the part about eating outside (and sitting over a metre apart to boot). And the part about taking an ATK test beforehand. It wasn't me and the other person he was concerned about as we tested negative, it was the people in the restaurant as we walked through he was concerned about. I would have thought that was obvious but never mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

The current ruling from the minister of health is that mask wearing is optional.

The thread title is about reinstatement Bill. If it is reinstated people will have to accept the new ruling or go elsewhere.

Whinging and derogatory comments will not change the ruling, only give foreigners in general a worse name than they have already.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are right to a certain extent, it is about signalling, signalling respect for the local population, but that would be an alien concept to many.

yes,   respect.     i hear ya.   Let it be known that i wear my mask at exactly the same level on my CHIN as do all the residents around my village.   Seems to work !   No covid yet 

• Like 2

I've had covid twice and the second event came after my 3rd booster and I was wearing a mask wherever I went. Plus I have my paranoid Thai wife making me wash my hands endlessly. So my take is that if its gonna get you then its gonna get you.

I still wear a mask when I'm out, more to make the Thais more comfortable than for any supposed medicinal benefit.

I thought that the whole exit strategy from the pandemic was to get vaccinated in order to lessen covid affects and then build up immunity through contraction of the virus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe Farang said:

What happens when the scooter stops at traffic lights and there are 50+ scooters in close proximity. If none had masks

Would you still say the statistical reality is "Almost Impossible" for catching Covid.

Then multiply the possibility at every traffic light stop and consider the cross contamination with different scooter riders

Yes, I would...not a confined space plus UV.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Catoni said:

As if the masks actually work. Studies now around the world show that they stop less than 30% of the virus. My sister-in-law’s brother was super paranoid. He wears a mask, face shield over the mask, blue plastic gloves. He got fully vaccinated plus boosters. And then he was totally shocked to still get Covid.  So much for masks, face shield and blue rubber gloves protecting him. 

You need at MINIMUM..an N-95 filtering respirator with no valve, to make any meaningful difference .  That’s science. 

I didn’t go to my sister-in-law’s brother’s extreme. But I WAS wearing my mask and was double vaccinated and one booster…and got Covid five days after my first booster.  So much for masks protecting me. 

Your mask is not protecting that kid. 

There are so many viruses….and kids are much much more resistant to Covid than adults are. That’s science.  
The common Flu would be much more deadly to him if it effects people with some sort of heart defect. 

If he is that sensitive…. then the kid should be enveloped in a plastic body shield with a built in air filtration system. He should not be outside. He should be living in a “bubble room” to shield him from bacteria and viruses. 

Just to make it clear.

1. It was a request to do so by a concerned father and we knew it would reduce the risk of catching Covid (and thereafter passing it on). 

2. We agreed to wear a mask as we had to walk through the restaurant. Kind of obvious I thought.

3. We all took tests beforehand to see that we were negative. While we would not give it to anyone, the real risk was catching it going through the restaurant unmasked.

4. Being in the open air, and the only table there, there was little to no risk of infection from other patrons. The waiter wore a mask.

As you probably know, a cloth mask reduces the risk by 56%, respirators by a lot more.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DezLez said:

Wrong; 

The figure you quote is "The case fatality rate (CFR) [which]is the ratio between confirmed deaths and confirmed cases. The CFR can be a poor measure of the mortality risk of the disease."

The above statement (in italcs) is from the source you quoted and is the disclaimer attached to the figure you are quoting.

It is not the figure for actual deaths atributed purely to covid.

Read it carefully and try to understand. 

"It is not the figure for actual deaths atributed purely to covid."

I didn't say this.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, sandyf said:

Maybe in your world.

It would be “sensible” for hospitals to reintroduce mandatory mask-wearing, the chair of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation has said, as several trusts in England and Wales announced the move.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/05/covid-surge-jcvi-chief-andrew-pollard-mandatory-masks-hospital-call

@sandyf  the UK has over 300k cases a day not the paltry 2k that Thailand has. 

Good idea. 

It's usually the foreigners without a clue walking about without them.

Omicron 5 is highly contagious.

The mask prevents people from spraying a fine spit in the air and spreading the virus.

I think it's the conspiracy theorist and trump followers who are so resolute against common sense.

Wear a mask or stay home. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

As far as I am concerned some maskless fool coughing and sneezing on me poses a risk. It certainly does transfer in the air and you appear very lacking in knowledge. Best you do not make such comments. 

@jacko45k I don't know anyone who would cough or sneeze over someone with or without a mask, even if someone didn't have a mask on they would cover their mouth or nose.  what sort of people are you with? and what sort of places are you hanging about in? 

Edited by paulikens
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I'm not bothered by wearing a mask if required to do so, even though I am an asthmatic. It's totally beyond me why so many of you make such a fuss about this. Surely time to try to grow up a bit.

The term for the hansum lot who can't go out with a mask on, for obvious reasons, is..."Big girls blouse".......????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, paulikens said:

@jacko45k I don't know anyone who would cough or sneeze over someone with or without a mask, even if someone didn't have a mask on they would cover their mouth or nose.  what sort of people and places are you hanging about in? 

You don't go out much then, do you.

How about a Thai/Chinese bloke empting his nose on the floor with his hands, twice, very near where l was sitting.......I know the bloke...????

6 hours ago, transam said:

You don't go out much then, do you.

How about a Thai/Chinese bloke empting his nose on the floor with his hands, twice, very near where l was sitting.......I know the bloke...????

@transam so its the Thai/Chinese, Chinese who should be wearing the masks (weird as i thought they all did)    as i don't know any foreigners who would do that as they have manners.   funny that! cuz all i see is people on here saying Thais and south east asians wear masks out of respect????

Edited by paulikens

1 minute ago, paulikens said:

@transam so its the Thai/Chinese, Chinese who should be wearing the masks (weird as i thought they all did)    as i don't know any foreigners who would do that as they have manners.   funny that! cuz all i see is people on here saying Thais wear masks out of respect????

My point was, if you do not wear a mask you might be at risk from complete tools, the example I mentioned is a Thai/Chinese, whom I have known for about 15 years, and yes he is a complete tool.....????

Went into our main Post Office today, all staff and I were masked.

A farang walks in, no mask, complaining about something to a cashier...????

Some really should use their loaf until the C19 thing has passed...????

25 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@jacko45k I don't know anyone who would cough or sneeze over someone with or without a mask, even if someone didn't have a mask on they would cover their mouth or nose.  what sort of people are you with? and what sort of places are you hanging about in? 

try walking thru the airport in Hong Kong without someone coughing uncovered, blowing their nose with 1 finger on  nostril  and letting it fly or spitting on the  floor ....   

6 hours ago, transam said:

My point was, if you do not wear a mask you might be at risk from complete tools, the example I mentioned is a Thai/Chinese, whom I have known for about 15 years, and yes he is a complete tool.....????

@transam unfortunately we are all at risk from complete tools throughout life.  I'd be more worried about the drunk drivers around the world (especially thailand) than someone not wearing a mask. much more of a risk to your life than someone sneezing over you.  Although definitely not very nice and totally disgusting 

Edited by paulikens
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@transam unfortunately we are all at risk from complete tools throughout life.  I'd be more worried about the drunk drivers around the world (especially thailand) than someone not wearing a mask. much more of a risk to your life than someone sneezing over you.  Although definitely not very nice and totally disgusting 

Your drunk drivers, is something you can see and hopefully deal with, C19, is not, Hepatitis, Polio, you name it, is not. For these it is taking precautions, vaccinations, whatever, to try and avoid the unseen risks out there.. 

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Went into our main Post Office today, all staff and I were masked.

A farang walks in, no mask, complaining about something to a cashier...????

Some really should use their loaf until the C19 thing has passed...????

He was probably complaining that he could not understand what they were saying as they were wearing masks!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Read it carefully and try to understand. 

"It is not the figure for actual deaths atributed purely to covid."

I didn't say this.

What did you not say as you have quoted what I said?

Edited by DezLez
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DezLez said:

He was probably complaining that he could not understand what they were saying as they were wearing masks!

Don't think so, he was told to take a seat.....????

Which was probably to get his frothing mouth well away from them.

Do you have trouble at the dentist or doctor's hearing instructions, if you do, it could be a hearing problem....????

• Haha 1