Moving to thailand, storage etc

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

3 weeks

I think most people are apprehensive about making the move-- Living in Oz I knew I wanted to settle in Asia, just wasn't sure just where. Took some time & tried to stay in each country a month at a time (didn't always succeed) . This was in the late 90s so much has changed. I look at them & Thailand now -as I get older infrastructure means a lot--I think the choice would be the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

I think most people are apprehensive about making the move-- Living in Oz I knew I wanted to settle in Asia, just wasn't sure just where. Took some time & tried to stay in each country a month at a time (didn't always succeed) . This was in the late 90s so much has changed. I look at them & Thailand now -as I get older infrastructure means a lot--I think the choice would be the same.

What city u live?

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

What city u live?

Now I live in Issan--Udon Thani, but when I first come --I done the usual Party hard--6 years Pattaya BKK & wandered around--you had to leave the country every 90 days back then, so it was good to pick another place to go..... .. People used to tell me that Issan is a whole different scene, it is--women..yes plenty-just a different set up, if your anywhere near a border even better--Udon of course is near to Lao's-- some knock out looking girls there- getting a passport is difficult & expensive for them, so you dont see many of them much in the bar scene down Pattaya/BKK way...unless their illegal.  but for border towns they are allowed to wander across --just as Thais are allowed to the other way...just not allowed to travel far from the border. I guess it is the same if near Myanmar/Cambo.

23 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Now I live in Issan--Udon Thani, but when I first come --I done the usual Party hard--6 years Pattaya BKK & wandered around--you had to leave the country every 90 days back then, so it was good to pick another place to go..... .. People used to tell me that Issan is a whole different scene, it is--women..yes plenty-just a different set up, if your anywhere near a border even better--Udon of course is near to Lao's-- some knock out looking girls there- getting a passport is difficult & expensive for them, so you dont see many of them much in the bar scene down Pattaya/BKK way...unless their illegal.  but for border towns they are allowed to wander across --just as Thais are allowed to the other way...just not allowed to travel far from the border. I guess it is the same if near Myanmar/Cambo.

So nong khai is good for Laos girls

Many nightlife YouTubes in Vientiane. The vibe will be amateur, which I believe is what you seek.

The tourist part is about six square blocks, lots of very beautiful French shuttered building mixed with 60's concrete sun block..

You're an Ibis Hotel fan and their's is a good one and very well located. But you can be paying half with a breakfast a block away.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:03 PM, sanuk711 said:

Flights bt cm and udon

Do both.

On 7/5/2022 at 7:20 PM, swm59nj said:

I retired and always wanted to experience living overseas. I sold my house, car, furniture. I put the money I made from the sale and saved it. Just in case things didn’t work out here.  
I moved to and presently have lived in Bangkok for about three years now. 
But I also didn’t come here with just nothing.  I had and have substantial savings and retirement income.  
Luckily I planned it like this. Because it’s not working for me living here.  Just don’t like it.  So I will be moving back to the states within a year. 

Cost of living has gone through the roof in the states, especially housing costs, Energy and food. Crime has gotten a lot worse too.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 12:01 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

can live like a king or a pauper-local is all your choice here....1 star to 5 star

something for everyone budget------simple and cheap works for me...like a local

saw a friend at Astra condo today--wow  very fancy  lots of expats living there....too $$ for me

Has the price of street food gone up a lot since the pandemic or can one still get a street food meal for 40-50 Baht?

52 minutes ago, SiamAndy said:

Has the price of street food gone up a lot since the pandemic or can one still get a street food meal for 40-50 Baht?

is all i eat.....had red curry with chicken few hours ago--40 baht--could be 5-10 for egg

if u really wanna go cheap get vegetarian--get a ton of food for cheap--skip the rice

pork may have gone up but chicken still seems low--even getting 5 tenders at lotus and boiling them in my kettle-with 10 bt rice and add a curry sauce....chicken is 30bt

i may splurge and get a chicken or pork steak or chix cashew which may run me at 60 bt

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 3:27 PM, Sparktrader said:

So nong khai is good for Laos girls

i lived in NK for a month in wooden house on mekong..can see and hear laos...seems they can pop over for shopping and stuff...i dated a gal in laos but she wanted to hide me from anyone seeing me with her--so she didnt look like a hooker--cant say i was happy about it

On 7/7/2022 at 2:34 AM, London Boy said:

I came here in February 2014, whilst going through a divorce and just after being made redundant. Best decsion of my life. Its a great place to be single in your 40's. I left New Zelaland soon after my job finished so rented my house fully furnished and packed all my posessions into 6 tea chests that I left in the garage. Like other people have said you don't mss those possesions, and anything you need, you can just buy here.

After COVID hit the demand for a fully furnished house dissapeared so I had to rent a storage unit for $300NZ a month (which is covered by the rent I get for the house). Wasted money really I should just gave it all away.

Regarding filling your time, if you plan your days out and have a structure, you'll be fine. Sure there's the temptation to drink everyday, especially in the red light districts, but I try to give myself 2 booze free days, ideally back to back.

Just enjoy it...Whenever I need affirmation, I travel back to London (where my family is from) and get on the tube at 8am. Once you see those miserable faces, you know you've done the right thing moving to Thailand

Single in your 40's in Thailand and what are you doing for work?

On 7/5/2022 at 8:20 PM, swm59nj said:

I retired and always wanted to experience living overseas. I sold my house, car, furniture. I put the money I made from the sale and saved it. Just in case things didn’t work out here.  
I moved to and presently have lived in Bangkok for about three years now. 
But I also didn’t come here with just nothing.  I had and have substantial savings and retirement income.  
Luckily I planned it like this. Because it’s not working for me living here.  Just don’t like it.  So I will be moving back to the states within a year. 

Glad to see you had a plan and didn't trap yourself.

Can't believe the low hotel prices in Bangkok. Florida Hotel, two stops from Siam Square is $19 a night on a monthly basis -and 5 minutes walk from my Language school. I'll bet in person, I can get it for $16 a night.