Chiaravanont clan tops Forbes Thailand’s rich list again this year

snoop1130

000_1AJ3ZD.jpg

Thai business magnate and senior chairman of CP Group, Dhanin Chearavanont, arrives at the Wat Thepsirin Buddhist temple in Bangkok for the funeral ceremony of Leicester City’s Thai owner and duty-free mogul Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha on November 3, 2018. – Vichai, 60, and four other people died in a horrific helicopter accident moments after they departed the Leicester City’s pitch a week ago, bringing an abrupt end to the fairytale life of Thailand’s fifth-richest man. (Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

This year’s 10 richest families in Thailand were revealed by Forbes Asia today (Thursday), most of the rankings remain unchanged from last year.

The richest family in Thailand are still the Chiaravanont brothers, of Charoen Pokphand Group, who have held the number one spot for several consecutive years. Their wealth, which is currently US$26.5 billion has, however, reduced from last year by US$3.7 billion.

The second richest is Chalerm Yoovidhya, co-owner and son of the co-founder of the Red Bull energy drink empire, whose wealth is $US26.4 billion, which increased by $US1.9 billion as their sales continued to grow globally, inching closer to the top spot.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chiaravanont-clan-tops-forbes-thailands-rich-list-again-this-year/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

what a surprise (not) .... during hard times such as war, epidemics and so forth the rich get richer and the poor get miserable

Well, they did say that no. 1 lost $3.7 billion from last year and no. 3 lost $1.5 billion. I still won't feel bad for them though... Neither will you I guess.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mavideol said:

what a surprise (not) .... during hard times such as war, epidemics and so forth the rich get richer and the poor get miserable

It happens during ALL times, always, it always has, always will, forever, since time began. Such is the very nature of wealth and power. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

You didn't read the linked article, obviously:
Forbes Asia also noted that the collective wealth of tycoons on the list fell nearly 6%, to US$151 billion compared to last year

I find this Forbes list rather funny. When I worked for some of these billionaires we would get a call every year from Forbes and say we don't wish to comment. So, Forbes accesses only public information and you can assume these billionaires are a lot richer than Forbes calculates. Panama, BVI and Switzerland aren't there for nothing.

In case you were wondering, their happiness often comes from helping their friends and families. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Good to be in the former and not the latter! :coffee1:

26 minutes ago, warrima said:

It kind of blows my mind that the world world turns a blind eye to a Red bull heir being on the run for murder. Such a global business with exposure at the very top of motorsport and big sponsorship deals in other sports. 

It wasn't murder, but I get your meaning and agree. He should have been jailed a LONG time ago. Money talks and life isn't fair. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Basically because they're (CP) allowed to monopolize supply and thus dictate prices to suppliers and consumers.

It's not even crony-capitalism, it's cartel-ismFacilitated by a robber-baron Govt.

CP not the only supplier for anything and not in a position to dictate prices in a competitive free market. Thailand also have price control regulation for essential products. CP started in a humble beginning and has grown successfully due to the vision of key family members.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, XJPSX said:

If i was Thai I would almost be embarrassed to be on that list.

I'd be embarrassed to be Thai but not embarrassed to be on that list.  Monopolies is the game here; CP has the lion's share of the convenience store industry (with 83.05% from 7-11 and Lotus's Go Fresh).  And as for Red Bull, don't even go there.

• Like 1

The increase/decrease of asset value is on assets in the accounting books. Nothing changed unless assets are bought or sold. 

This list is incomplete, as we know, yet one thing is even more interesting. What did they pay to rename TescoLotus into Lotus's - the marketing company coughing up the idea, the logo designers to present the graphic interpretations and ultimately the blokes who changed all those huge signboards. 

This "interpretation" of the English language is possibly second to none and clearly explains, why the dirty farang are to be charged higher by the state as well as the private hospitality industry. 

Welcome to Thailand where 70+ million of semi-divines are being srceewd by the entire oligarch dinosaur establishment! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

The richest man is the one who needs the least 

said some wise ancient philosopher 

That's a commonplace in much of Greek and Roman, Epicurean and Stoic, philosophy. The problem with it is that in the ancient world doctors could only do so much for you beyond a basic level, so philosophers could ignore that aspect when glorifying a life of poverty. But in the modern world, with modern medical science, having a lot of money will definitely get you better health outcomes. So it makes far less sense to be poor, though I understand that's not exactly what you said.