LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

On 8/11/2022 at 1:43 PM, erodygin said:

@BKKrunaway I'm in exactly the same situation.

I make enough to apply. Some of the companies I work with have billions USD in annual revenue. But there's one catch - I'm a freelancer.

You and the probable majority of realistically potential applicants under the category. This is the very reason that killed what would have been my second option. The rules may change though; I think that when faced with number data on eligible applicants, the rules may have be adjusted to include contractors/freelancers. It may take a while of course, but I don't think it is very far ahead because the LTR was established to bring in revenue in large amounts: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2355499/long-term-resident-ltr-visa

• "An estimated one million qualified new foreign residents over a five-year period (2022-2026) are expected to generate one trillion baht in spending, 800 billion baht in investments, and 270 billion baht in tax income..."

NW

Edited by Northwest87
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 5:17 AM, tezzaaa said:

Quick question actually, are we eligible if we are on a fixed term contract?

Are you working for the employer under their payroll? If you are contractor through a recruitment agency or your own private company, then no.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DjChris28 said:

Are you working for the employer under their payroll? If you are contractor through a recruitment agency or your own private company, then no.

I'm on payroll but fixed term contract (1 year running out in spring next year)

25 minutes ago, tezzaaa said:

I'm on payroll but fixed term contract (1 year running out in spring next year)

You might be allowed. there doesn't seem to be a limit on if the employment is temporary, only how it is paid through and using that to determine "who the employer is", but I guess your ltr visa would be invalid after your term finishes. I would ask BOI.

Edited by DjChris28
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2022 at 1:41 PM, DjChris28 said:

So technically, it's not legal then. The point is I have to sell this to my employer of the legal and tax status.. All I need is Thailand elite visa to come forward and say we can do it, because if we are ever taken to court or deported for working remotely, Thailand elite will be held responsible lol. My employer doesn't want to find out they are liable for tax or employment issues.

Hi there,

Just saw your post, I had the same issue with my employer and did a lot of research, I'm including a few links:

https://sherrings.com/permanent-establishment-tax-in-thailand.html

https://www.legal-explanations.com/carrying-on-business/

Especially this article is very useful
https://lorenz-partners.com/newsletter-no-70/

Then you can show them the relevant article from Thai government:

https://www.rd.go.th/english/37764.html

Good luck

On 8/16/2022 at 5:27 AM, tezzaaa said:

Hi there,

Just saw your post, I had the same issue with my employer and did a lot of research, I'm including a few links:

https://sherrings.com/permanent-establishment-tax-in-thailand.html

https://www.legal-explanations.com/carrying-on-business/

Especially this article is very useful
https://lorenz-partners.com/newsletter-no-70/

Then you can show them the relevant article from Thai government:

https://www.rd.go.th/english/37764.html

Good luck

So basically to have permanent establishment tax, i'd have to have some sort of business relationship between the company back home in my home country and a thai company (signing contracts between two companies in both countries) or dealing with the thai public (like selling something to the public).

Working remotely and doing work that is only for the company back home wouldn't raise permanent establishment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

So basically to have permanent establishment tax, i'd have to have some sort of business relationship between the company back home in my home country and a thai company (signing contracts between two companies in both countries) or dealing with the thai public (like selling something to the public).

Working remotely and doing work that is only for the company back home wouldn't raise permanent establishment.

Yes, basically having a physical entity/shopfront or even just conducting business like arranging contracts etc. So this doesn't apply if you work online..

Should anyone be wondering where to obtain the 3x4 cm photo the application requires one can print it and most other passport type photos from https://www.epassportphoto.com/ .  This application is set up for U.S. users by offering 'pick-up' at drugstores, but there is also a free option to print them four per 4x6 jpeg that can be printed at any photo shop here - Big Camera used to have a print machine, but they have deserted our province.  

For BoI  select Japan's alien registration option.  For Immigration's extension of stay you need 6 x 4 cm photos use Greece's passport option.   

Based on the zoom conference call this morning, Wealthy Pensioners can apply for a work permit.  This is great news!  I plan to have a business and pay myself a salary.  This is something that's not possible under the Elite Visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, wtboatr said:

Based on the zoom conference call this morning, Wealthy Pensioners can apply for a work permit.  This is great news!  I plan to have a business and pay myself a salary.  This is something that's not possible under the Elite Visa.

Your sure about that?  I do not see it on the information as a possibility unless your already employed, but then TIT.  If it is doable I might as well see.

• Like 1

I have a few questions about the LTR:

·         Is this an “official” website, or a private company offering visa services:  https://ltr.boi.go.th/index.html

·         It looks like I can submit all of the documentation electronically and then I wait 20 days for “approval” must I then physically visit a Thai Embassy in Los Angeles or DC?  Is there an office I can visit in Phuket or Bangkok?

·         If I am submitting my information electronically, how do I submit my photo?  Do I just make a copy and send it?

Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, pepper402 said:

Ryan, how did you submit your application?  I went through every link on the website and couldn't find anything.  I got an error message when I tried to submit a question.  Thanks

It was sent it by email to the BOI who will review it all. They are the Government arm who is charged with approving or denying the Visa.  I am in Thailand already and the BOI office is here in Bangkok.

• Like 1

To access LTR pre-screening service go to:

https://ltr.boi.go.th/

Click on the green 'Pre Screening' button in the upper right hand corner

On the next page select the application for the program you are applying for.

Note that you complete the application off line and then attach it and the supporting documents to an email:

* For pre-screening, please send in your application and/or supporting documents to [email protected]

Depending on your filing system, you may need to scan a bunch of documents, but if you proceed you can re-use them for the actual application where you will need to attach a photo (see my post above) and a letter from your insurance carrier.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I will, they said it could take up to 20 days to review the paperwork and let me know if I was approved on the pre-screening.  I submitted all of the required documents except for the photo, and of course an original signed letter for my HI from PCH which they will complete for me once approved.  In the BOI LTR information it indicates these can be turned in after the initial approval has been given.  I did give them all of the information on my HI in my E-mail.

Many thanks for your updates on this. May I ask how the BOI communicated that it could take up to 20 days to review?

Asking because we submitted the required prescreening documents last Monday.  Haven't yet received a BOI response to the email, such as a verification or an estimated of time to review. 

12 hours ago, wtboatr said:

I listened to the Zoom call and there were two sections of the call where it did sound like the presenter was either saying explicity, or otherwise implying, that a Wealthy Pensioners could work.  One was an explicit statement in the beginning of her presentation, and then indirectly during the Q&A, the second questioner.

I had raised my hand at the beginning of Q&A to ask a couple of questions including about this, but unfortunately didn't get called on.

It could be a misunderstanding, or that the presenter misspoke.  It's hard for me to see how someone could be a "retiree,"  but also be granted a digital work permit.

Will try to get clarification on this point from the BOI directly.  And if anyone else gets clarification, please post.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Misty said:

Many thanks for your updates on this. May I ask how the BOI communicated that it could take up to 20 days to review?

Asking because we submitted the required prescreening documents last Monday.  Haven't yet received a BOI response to the email, such as a verification or an estimated of time to review. 

After I sent the e-mail, I returned to the LTR pages and at the bottom of where it shows the 4 steps I submitted a request which asked for the BOI to confirm they received my e-mail.  I then received a response back indicating what I had posted above.  For some reason when I go to the form response it now shows me this:

image.png.f8eb4db4e1fa23e3f076fedb6d36d3d1.png

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

After I sent the e-mail, I returned to the LTR pages and at the bottom of where it shows the 4 steps I submitted a request which asked for the BOI to confirm they received my e-mail.  I then received a response back indicating what I had posted above.  For some reason when I go to the form response it now shows me this:

image.png.f8eb4db4e1fa23e3f076fedb6d36d3d1.png

Many thanks, guess that option is now off the table. Maybe they're  overwhelmed with lots of enquiries. 

In that case, planning to call next week to make sure all looks good with our pre-screen email and documents.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Misty said:

Many thanks, guess that option is now off the table. Maybe they're  overwhelmed with lots of enquiries. 

In that case, planning to call next week to make sure all looks good with our pre-screen email and documents.

4 minutes ago, Misty said:

image.png.1c6f204f2ed4304d6712600ba90dab9c.png

This should be the number to call.

• Thanks 1