North Thailand Motorcycle Tour

NguuMuu

I've been thinking about doing a motorcycle tour in Northern Thailand, golden triangle area, with a few friends, but I really don't know much about this. The websites I can find don't really supply much information; just trying to sell some pre-organized, but expensive tours.

Any advice would be appreciated...routes, places to stop, websites, recommended motorcycle renters, etc.

I'm sure some of you have done this before. How was it?

Thanks.

The best place for info is http://www.gt-rider.com/

Check out the forum there and read the info on the website. I would also reccomend buying a "Thailand North" map and "a motorcycle guide of the golden triangle". Both of these you can buy at book stores in CM. You might be able to buy them online as well, but they are both out of print.

Jake

Edited by madjbs

Hi, check out the gt_rider .com website Its a really good source of information on riding around Thailand and surrounding countries. It has several routes for you to try from day trips to overnights. Also tips and trip reviews by ridrs themselves. Enjoy and stay upright

Yes GT-Rider.com definately the best source of information. David's maps of the North of Thailand are 2nd to none & as alot of the contributors are there on hand they are an endless supply of quality information :o

Edited by chavy

The loop from ChiangMai-Pai--Soopong-Maehonsong is a beautiful ride

also a really nice ride is the from Chaing mai - Chaing dao - through Fang all the way up to Maesai - maybe with a stop off in Doi mae Salong-

a 400cc (225 will be fine too) should be sufficient as anything bigger will have more power than the roads/conditions can handle

Here is a trip that I have not seen listed anywhere. It is a 3 day trip but very nice. Start in Chiang Mai early morning and go north through Fang to Mai Sai (I believe route 107 out of Chiang Mai). Do a little shopping in Mai Sai late afternoon early evening. Stay in Mae Sai over night.

The next morning head out to the golden triangle. Stop for a visit there then head out to the east on 1290 toward Chiang Sean (I believe Route 1290). Then take 1129 to Chiang Kong (Beautiful scenery along the river). Out of Chiang Kong on 1020, turn right on 1306 and head into Chiang Rai for the night.

Sleep in in Chiang Rai a little, and head out late morning back to Chiang Mai, Route 1 to Route 118 to Chiang Mai. Have lunch at the Charin bakery\restaurant about 20 KM or so after turning on to 118.

Have Fun... Drive Safe...

Tommy D

• 3 weeks later...

Another concern was this trip is being planned for the end of July/early August. Should we be concerned about rain? I'm not an experienced motorcycle rider and don't really plan on driving in the rain if it's coming down even slightly hard. Also, how are the road conditions in the rain...not too terrible, I hope.

If it's like Bangkok rain (just an hour or two and then the sun is out again), then I don't think this will be a problem.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Yep you are more then likley going to get wet, it's just water, slow down and you will be OK. By that time most of the oil is washed off the road, so if you dont get crazy you shouldn't have much of a problem. If your not an experienced rider in Thailand it might be a good idea to hook up with someone who is. It ain't Kansas Toto :o

Gtriders baord will allow to hook up with local riders in the area.

The best riding times are from November through January, but that area will definelty be cold

Prepare for rain by having good tread on the tires, a rain suit that keeps you dry on top and bottom, and a helmet visor that works for you. Don't turn wet corners too fast, and watch for mud. It always rains within a two or three day trip, at least once, anywhere from light to heavy, short period to long period. But the air is clear, which it won't be in the smoky season. We have two seasons: muddy and smoky.