Growatt SPF5000ES Offgrid 9kw DIY Solar Project

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You want the path from the surge suppressors to ground to be as short and straight as possible.

Lightning surges are very fast and anyone who's had dealings with Radar will know that fast edges have an annoying habit of going straight on at bends in the current path.

Also.

If you have a few kA going down even .1ohms that's hundreds of volts just dropped on the resistance alone, and the inductance of a straight wire can become significant at the speeds we are looking at here. Google "Lecher Line" and/or "straight wire inductance" for some fun reading!

Lightning surges are decidedly weird, you can't use conventional electrical theory.

Ok maybe i just make a separate ground for the DC surge just outside the wall..

Pink

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

You want the path from the surge suppressors to ground to be as short and straight as possible.

Lightning surges are very fast and anyone who's had dealings with Radar will know that fast edges have an annoying habit of going straight on at bends in the current path.

Also.

If you have a few kA going down even .1ohms that's hundreds of volts just dropped on the resistance alone, and the inductance of a straight wire can become significant at the speeds we are looking at here. Google "Lecher Line" and/or "straight wire inductance" for some fun reading!

Lightning surges are decidedly weird, you can't use conventional electrical theory.

Excellent info and technically spot on but a bit in depth for some of us I think.

The point is that suppressor earth might need to be similar to a lightning conductor to serve it's purpose well.

I use 10mm² for mine and take it and the solar panel steelwork to it's own dedicated ground rod.

Might be OK but as was said earlier, there is little anyone can do against a direct strike so we are looking at dumping an EMP or two which can be survivable with a suppressor fitted.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 1:20 PM, 007 RED said:

My 2kW Sofar GTI came with plug-in Wifi module which enables the inverter to send a fairly comprehensive range of performance data to a remote server (in China) via my router.   It appears that the remote server 'calls' for data from the inverter about every 5 minutes.

I can access the inverter's data through either an application on my phone or on my PC.  The 2 apps provide slightly different outputs and are very easy to use.  The mobile app is fairly basic, whereas the PC is very comprehensive with a wide range of visual and numerical outputs, some of which can be modified to suite your needs.  The PC version also allows me to download all the system data into an Excel spreadsheet which I can, if required, produce various graphs etc. to meet my needs.

FYI... Both apps are recommended by the inverter manufacturer (Sofar).  The PC app = "SOLAMAN" and the mobile app = "SOLAMAN SMART"

NOTE:  The monitoring facility does not provide information on the performance of individual panels, it only provides data on the overall output performance of the array.

I hope this helps.

I couldn't find any PC or mobile apps named "Solaman", did you mean "Solarman" (which makes more sense)? I can find a "Solarman Smart" app in Google Playstore, but nothing under either name in Microsofts app store.

50 minutes ago, Sophon said:

I couldn't find any PC or mobile apps named "Solaman", did you mean "Solarman" (which makes more sense)? I can find a "Solarman Smart" app in Google Playstore, but nothing under either name in Microsofts app store.

For the PC it's a website https://home.solarman.cn/main.html I think I set up the Android App first then used the same log-in details (it was a while back).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sophon said:

Sorry @Sophon for the confusion.... my bad ????.... I omitted the 'R' from the word SOLARMAN.

As you have indicated "SOLARMAN SMART" is available through Google Playstore specifically for use on Android mobile phones.  FYI.... The mobile app has limited functions compared to the PC version.

I can't remember how, or where, I got the PC app from, but I use the following https://home.solarmanpv.com/login to access the app through my PC.

Hope that helps

48 minutes ago, Crossy said:

But it uses an Android emulator!

Personally I would run these kind of apps in a Sandbox only

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(computer_security)

Edit:

Aha they already run in a Sandbox of themselves!

https://superuser.com/questions/1659102/are-android-emulators-safe

Edited by MJCM

I've just looked back at the log which I kept when I did the installation of my small scale solar system back in October last year and I've found how I learnt about the SolarMan monitoring facility for use on my PC.

The details were provided within the installation manual that was provided by Sofar, the inverter manufacturer.  It was covered within the section of the manual that deals with "setting up the Wi-Fi option".

The manual advised to open the Solarman portal website http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/   This will take you to the login/registration screen.  Click on register and complete the information requested.  Once having completed the information, I bookmarked the login page to facilitate easy access.

As mentioned previously, the PC version gives access to the full range of monitoring facilities, whereas the mobile app version provides the main information but does not allow the user to manipulate the data or visual outputs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pink7 said:

I need to order 2 x 100 m solar cable. PV1-F 4 mm ? 

I found this on shopee. 4mm2 ok? any views on levels of quality/price on solar cables?

Pink 

They are cables . You do have 4mm2 and 6mm2 . In case your panels are wired in series and are not far from from the inverter ( every m more you get more losses ) 4mm2 is good . In parallel or long distance to inverter , then it is upto 6mm2 .

4 minutes ago, sezze said:

They are cables . You do have 4mm2 and 6mm2 . In case your panels are wired in series and are not far from from the inverter ( every m more you get more losses ) 4mm2 is good . In parallel or long distance to inverter , then it is upto 6mm2 .

Do you really need 100m ? 100 m is a lot , how far are the panels to your inverter ?

What spec of power cable i need for ac inn/out inverter?

8 AWG is maybe way to thick wire? 

Manual: Suggested cable requirement for AC wires Gauge 8 AWG

Pink

Edited by Pink7

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

8AWG is around 4mm2 good for 32ish Amps or about 7kW.

What size inverter are you looking at?

8kw, i looking wires at Lazada and shopee but i see most wire look to be for DC. Same?

When i google 8awg i get 10mm2 who is very thick. where you find correct size awg to mm2?

If 4mm2 i will have overload with solar cable if it could be used?

Pink

Edited by Pink7

3 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

8kw, i looking wires at Lazada and shopee but i see most wire look to be for DC. Same?

I'd step up to 6mm2 for the AC side.

Lots of mains rated cables available from the big-box DIY places and even your local hardware store. Will it be running naked or in some kind of containment (trunking/conduit). Just follow normal mains wiring practices and you're good to go.

There's not really such a thing as "DC" cables, the cables sold as "solar" have a (supposedly) more UV and general environment resistant sheath.

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'd step up to 6mm2 for the AC side.

Lots of mains rated cables available from the big-box DIY places and even your local hardware store. Will it be running naked or in some kind of containment (trunking/conduit). Just follow normal mains wiring practices and you're good to go.

There's not really such a thing as "DC" cables, the cables sold as "solar" have a (supposedly) more UV and general environment resistant sheath.

Thanks for the clarification Crossy. This one ok

My brother in law who is a welding buy and his team mate who is electrician will help me getting this up. From experience its smart to have all i can ready. Btw my brother in law want to get up his own solar too when we got mine working. 

Do Thailan use:

Ground (yellow-green)
L→LINE (brown or black)
N→Neutral (blue)

Pink

Pink

THW is fine in conduit but being unsheathed it's vulnerable if unprotected. You might want to look at using a flex between your inverter and the breaker box.

Thailand nominally uses the NEC colour code, Black-Live, White or Grey - Neutral, Green - Earth but the international Brown, Blue, Green/Yellow code is well understood.

@007 REDhas done an excellent DIY install, you could do worse that copy his methods. Just search his posts for images.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

THW is fine in conduit but being unsheathed it's vulnerable if unprotected. You might want to look at using a flex between your inverter and the breaker box.

Thailand nominally uses the NEC colour code, Black-Live, White or Grey - Neutral, Green - Earth but the international Brown, Blue, Green/Yellow code is well understood.

Do you mean i should get a combined wire with 3 wires inside?

Pink

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would (and did), but it's your install.

Great i will check that in Global then. I was not able to find online but i might search wrong ????. Thanks for great info and help.

Pink

Edited by Pink7

I have change my Inverter a few times back and forward: Latterly i decided for Mpp PIP8048MAX for the simplicity, its just perfect for the current setup capacity vice with 500vdc and 4kw pw (2 x 10 panels) input. BUT i dont need to ad much more money then i have 3 x Powland 5.6KW and could example run 3 x 10, or 3 x 9 and 2.5 the charge capacity,, I dont need all that , but the whole system could run more relaxed and it would cover my power fully as long weather is normal.. If any unit fail it must be repaired locally anyway..i guess. still thinking...

Pink

Edited by Pink7