Why can’t we watch the Premier League earlier in Asia?

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo

Premier League television revenue is to exceed £10bn for the first time, which will drive up prize money and ensure that even the bottom club will pocket more than £100m as of next season.

According to the website https://www.90min.com/ The 2022/23 champions will be rewarded with £176m in prize money, up from £153m this season.

The increase comes after what has been described as ‘bidding wars in America and beyond’ as broadcasters around the globe fight for the right to show live Premier League football.

Half of the global fanbase and a quarter of the television audience, the Premier League says, is in Asia-Pacific.

And that is despite games often finishing in the middle of the night.

The Premier League, has also secured another mega television rights deal in Asia, signing a partnership with ESPN Star Sports that will cover 16 territories.

ESS will screen the Premier League in Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, East Timor, India, Indonesia, Laos, the Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and South Korea. 

The rights are not on the scale of the recent agreements concluded in Singapore and Malaysia, but still represent a significant contribution towards overseas television revenues that the Premier League expects to top US$1 billion per season.

True Corp’s chief media officer Ong-Ard Prapakamol said the company has extended the Premier League broadcast contract from next season (2022/23) through to 2024/2025 for viewers in Thailand.

TrueVisions said it was the only pay television channel in Thailand that will broadcast all 380 matches of the Premier League season or 1,140 matches in total over three seasons.

From next season, the global broadcast market will, for the first time, be worth more than what Sky Sports, BT Sport, Amazon, and the BBC collectively pay to broadcast the Premier League in the UK.

The total value of the international broadcast packages will grow to £5.3bn, up from £4.1bn. 

Overall, it is said the total fund is worth £10.5bn once other new commercial deals are factored in.

Of that money, around £1.6bn is expected to be handed to the football pyramid below.

The extra income from overseas broadcasters won’t be split equally among Premier League clubs, however, with those who perform better earning more. 

That was not previously the case and chief executive Richard Masters is credited with ‘seeing off a big-six rebellion’ over the matter.

image.jpeg

File photo

Asian audience is vast

The Premier League is the most-watched sports league in the world, broadcast in 212 territories to 643 million homes and a potential TV audience of 4.7 billion people.

Asia accounts for a quarter of their global TV audience.

In fact, China has the most Premier League followers, with 300 million followers.

Now if you wish to follow your team here in Thailand most of the games don’t kick off until 23.00hrs or later which means if you have to work next day you are likely to miss the second half.

Apart from a few early kick offs at 12.30pm GMT shown here at 18,30 or some at 20.00hrs most of us would have to watch highlights or us a catch-up service.

If the Asia audience is so vast, maybe the clubs should stagger their kick offs in England at the weekends.

So, for example on both Saturdays and Sundays they could have matches kicking off at 12.30, 14.30 and 16.30hrs.

The bars across Asia will be packed and advertisers will be spending more too.

Surely it would be a solution where everyone benefits all round. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

A pal was telling me PL was live on his TV Saturday night.... rather surprised as he only has one of the local cable networks. Although if it is being shown in neighboring countries, in the past it made it here. 

22 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

Ah! The game played by the working class for the working class. I remember paying 2 bob to stand on the Kop. I don't bother much these days.

Was it more when they were playing? 

I used to be stood watching my lot, in the completely open Embankment end freezing to death....madness!

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, ASEAN NOW News said:

I agree that the Fulham v Liverpool game was at 18.30 hrs in Thailand last Saturday, however if you look at the future games many will start a lot later and when the clocks change in England they become very late kick offs here.

The point is

I think the point is as correctly stated below:

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

The vast majority of games kick-off at 3pm on a Saturday, which is 9pm or 10pm in Thailand

So the op is stretching the facts to fit the agenda (with which I have some agreement) by saying:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

most of the games don’t kick off until 23.00hrs or later

Fact is most games will kick off 3pm UK time.

2 hours ago, ASEAN NOW News said:

I agree that the Fulham v Liverpool game was at 18.30 hrs in Thailand last Saturday, however if you look at the future games many will start a lot later and when the clocks change in England they become very late kick offs here.

The point is as the vast amount of TV revenues come from Asia the Premier League should try to arrage a few more earlier kick offs.

Every Saturday there will be a 18 30 kick off and 4 minimum at 21 00, Sunday there will be 2 at 20 00 that's 7 out of the 10 matches at a reasonable time at 1 hour to that and it's still a reasonable early kick off

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is what it is. I'm more than happy watching games on the weekend in the evening. I don't mind missing very late midweek games. Just watch highlights on YouTube. 

Actually much prefer watching a game on TV in the evening on Sat/Sun than in the afternoon in England. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, let's inconvenience the real fans in England that support their teams week in week out, paying through the turnstiles in all weather, buying the official merchandise, creating the atmosphere in the stadiums that is core to the product, just so that it's more convenient for Asian fans to watch their illegal streams while wearing their 200 Baht kits from the local flea market.

Great idea.

On the one hand I absolutely agree with the "real fan's" element but the PL would not be as successful as it is on domestic revenue alone. Global audiences have helped make it as attractive and as rich as it is today. 

2 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

Ah! The game played by the working class for the working class. I remember paying 2 bob to stand on the Kop. I don't bother much these days.

The last game I ever went to was Southampton when Laurie McMenamy was boss, Kevin Keegan and Micky Channon were on the pitch, with a few other top names in the game.

They we hosting Liverpool who then had the deadly Kenny Dalglish.

Those were the days.

9 hours ago, champers said:

This Saturday there was a match at 12.30, 4 at 3.00 and one at 5.30, all UK time.

Sunday was 2 games at 2.00 and one at 4.30.

Monday and Friday night kick-offs are 8pm.

OP needs to do a fact check.

I WATCHED all the games over the last weekend.....so whats your problem???except for the later kick offs in england!!! that is 4.30 and 5.30 pm english time.......too late for me to watch a 90 minute game.........

Fans in the UK are already unhappy at the way Premier League games are staggered for broadcasting purposes. It's already a nightmare for away fans getting to a ground for a midday kick-off and midweek evening games are essential simply to fit in the number of games during the season.

The Asian broadcasters are fully aware what they're getting for their money and don't forget that in Asia you get every game shown, whereas back at home there's only a selection of games each week on live TV.

• Like 1