Lancet Commission on COVID-19 response: 'Massive global failure'

onthedarkside

Screenshot_1.jpg.5bbd01b3dd48857e9c0d4efc34470ceb.jpg

A stinging new Lancet Commission report on the international COVID-19 pandemic response calls it "a massive global failure on multiple levels" and spares no one the responsibility—including the public—for millions of preventable deaths and a backslide in progress made toward sustainable development goals in many countries.

Noting an estimated 17.2 million COVID-19 deaths worldwide through May 31, the commission said, "This staggering death toll is both a profound tragedy and a massive global failure at multiple levels. Too many governments have failed to adhere to basic norms of institutional rationality and transparency, too many people—often influenced by misinformation—have disrespected and protested against basic public health precautions, and the world's major powers have failed to collaborate to control the pandemic."

It details national negligence in prevention, rationality, public health practices, and international cooperation, as well as "excessive nationalism" that led to unequal access to resources such as personal protective equipment (PPE), vaccines, and treatments. The report also acknowledges that many members of the public openly flouted government efforts to control the pandemic.

(more)

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/09/lancet-commission-covid-19-response-massive-global-failure

CIDRAP.jpg.9e09dd409a622d8a8f5fce08bba872c3.jpg

Source report:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)01585-9/fulltext

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

The report also acknowledges that many members of the public openly flouted government efforts to control the pandemic.

Naughty members of the public. But what about our leaders? Many citizens watch what leaders do instead of what they say to take their cues on appropriate reactions to events. The Lancet should be aware of this major failure of world leaders to follow the rules they made for the population and the mauling their credibility took, and thus the confusion as to what restrictions and measures were actually necessary.

"House Speaker Nancy Pelosi — who has repeatedly chided her Republican colleagues and President Donald Trump for failing to follow coronavirus safety protocols — got her hair done inside a shuttered San Francisco salon Monday in violation of the city's COVID-19 rules, Fox News reported Tuesday."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/report-nancy-pelosi-contravened-coronavirus-rules-getting-her-hair-blown-n1239032

"U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak were told by police they’ll be fined for attending rule-breaking gatherings during lockdown, the most damaging development yet in a scandal dubbed “partygate” by the British media."

https://time.com/6166099/boris-johnson-fined-covid-lockdown-partygate/

From Presidential Fist Bumps to Handshakes, Biden Breaks COVID-19 Rules in Israel Visit

Visiting U.S. President Joe Biden began by adhering to protocol by offering fist bumps – but then began giving handshakes to Bennett and Netanyahu"

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2022-07-13/ty-article/.premium/from-presidential-fist-bumps-to-handshakes-biden-breaks-covid-19-rules/00000181-f7df-d203-ad81-ffdf88d50000

So it wasn't just "the public" was it...

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Many citizens watch what leaders do instead of what they say to take their cues on appropriate reactions to events.

Really? There are many people that just can't decide what the want to do so they need guidance from someone on the tele or in the papers? 

How do they manage in their daily lives? 

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1

They are still out there, looking to engage at the slightest opening..

When I meet "Deniers", both the ones reacting emotionally and the "scientific" one who have a whole catalogue of "facts" to back up their willful blindness, I have made a single point..

Twenty years from now history will simply say "XX millions died in the Covid 19 pandemic. Nothing about "excess deaths" or the other "get outs" these types postulate..

This is how the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-20 is dealt with in history. 50+ million deaths.

Now we have a number...

17.2 million people and counting..

On 9/16/2022 at 6:15 PM, candide said:

Unsurprisingly, you chose to target Biden shaking hands on the 13/07/2022, at a time there were no restrictions in place any more, and forgot to mention all the right-wing politicians and figures who have openly downplayed the pandemic and campaigned against various restrictions and measures. It has, among other things, resulted in a much higher Covid death rate in districts who voted for Trump, than in districts who voted for Biden.

I'm concerned this is another misinformation post. Can you provide some evidence that the Isreali newspaper got it wrong as you claim - without a link to prove your assertion as required?

I know Isreal was VERY strict about covid.

Edited by SunnyinBangrak
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I'm concerned this is another misinformation post. Can you provide some evidence that the Isreali newspaper got it wrong as you claim - without a link to prove your assertion as required?

Looking forward to your reply to this.

Further from the report:

"Several national leaders made highly irresponsible statements in the first few months of the outbreak, neglecting scientific evidence and needlessly risking lives with a view to keeping the economy open. 

The footnotes at the end of the paragraph above link to articles that specifically cite former President Trump of the U.S. (multiple cites), President Bolsonaro of Brazil, and President Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico.

AND

"In the United States, the political far-right has promoted anti-science rhetoric, as shown by their opposition to COVID-19 vaccines and anti-COVID-19 prevention measures. Anti-science rhetoric and disinformation about COVID-19 are now promoted by several elected members of the US Congress,and are often disseminated by cable television news channels and podcasts."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

This was from July 2022. Israel had loosened all covid restrictions, Biden started off fist bumping but it was the Israel Alternate Prime Minister Naftali Bennett who offered his hand to shake with Biden first. There were no covid restrictions in Israel then regarding handshakes. If you read your own article you linked to the protocol was in place for other reasons.

Millionth tourist of 2022 arrives in Israel, just four months after COVID restrictions lifted June 2022

• Like 1

In addition, this isn't about people who were adhering to the scientific recommendationns making an occasional mistake. I stuck to the recommendations, still do, but I'm sure if there are cameras 24/7 present the occasional mistake would have been noticed.

This is about people, imo idiots, who refused to adhere and others who were in a position of responsibility and refused to issue policies based on the scientific evidence, often publicly questioning the evidence.

On 9/16/2022 at 10:00 PM, onthedarkside said:

The report also acknowledges that many members of the public openly flouted government efforts to control the pandemic.

Seems to me that many members of the public openly flouted government efforts to control the pandemic because they thought they were nonsense. I certainly did, and I wasn't alone by far. I never met anyone that thought destroying the economy was a good idea, whatever the reasons for doing so.

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

"In the United States, the political far-right has promoted anti-science rhetoric, as shown by their opposition to COVID-19 vaccines and anti-COVID-19 prevention measures. Anti-science rhetoric and disinformation about COVID-19 are now promoted by several elected members of the US Congress,and are often disseminated by cable television news channels and podcasts."

In other words, those that wanted to promote a certain response to covid did a terrible job of convincing a large segment of the population that they were on the right track.

To believe otherwise is IMO to claim that a certain segment of the population wanted people to die needlessly.

• Haha 1