Thailand to scrap all emergency provisions as it seeks to boost a very fragile economic recovery

webfact

Regarding masks, while Thais shouldn't be mocked for continuing to wear, what can be done is:

Set an example yourself by not wearing one unless you're sick or vulnerable. 

Educate and inform them why it's no longer necessary in all settings and share how the rest of the world has moved forward. Help reduce the fear. It is changing slowly. 

Children do not have a choice, no children should be masked up anymore. This should be discussed and pushed at every possible opportunity. 

23 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

The only thing now is to tot up the cost of these disastrous policies over the past 2.5 years.

Australia has just done that, with the venerable Institute of Public Affairs estimating that anti-Covid measures cost the taxpayer A$938 billion (about US$620 billion) and were a catastrophic economic and social failure.

There is nothing venerable about the IPA. Its name disguises what is a Liberal party propaganda machine.

49 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

How is this an 'example'...... one is not sick and then gets sick from not wearing a mask? Bit chicken and egg.  Why don't you set one by letting people do as they choose instead of forcing your opinions on them?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 9:23 AM, TooMuchTime said:

Damn, so people who didnt get fully injected may have gotten covid and not even know it?  Looks like there was no need for them to get fully injected in that case.  Less symptoms than a cold doesn't seem too serious.

Each to their own when it comes to making a decision, that said, I would think if Delta was still around the tune your singing would be very different.

If your happy you didn't get vaccinated, good for you, many of us are happy we did get vaccinated, based on our own research, not because governments were pushing for it.

I'm still here and so are all the many, many, many others that got vaxed that I know, one that I know who didn't get vaxed, her choice, my mum, passed, but hey, she was ready to go anyways, her own words, another who is 60, healthy, never smoked, a moderate drinker, swore that is he had the choice to go back, he would have gotten vaxed because going through it was hell, thinking he was going to die in hospital.

To sum up, I believe that the number (millions) that died since Covid came along, would have been higher, suffice the decision I made based on my own research warranted me receiving the vaccine, oh, I was very very hesitant in the beginning, now vaccinated, as is the family, all having Covid and very grateful to the USA for their Pfizer, make of that what you will, as I said before, each to their own, no wrongs, no rights, it's about staying safe and also helping us reach the level of "herd immunity" without massive losses.

Was it all a con, I don't know, all I know is we are all still here breathing, that's what's important to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

How is this an 'example'...... one is not sick and then gets sick from not wearing a mask? Bit chicken and egg.  Why don't you set one by letting people do as they choose instead of forcing your opinions on them?

It's an example of common sense shown by the vast majority of people every day, all over the world. 

I'm not forcing opinions, just stating facts.

The mass mask wearing in Thailand has nothing to do with health anymore and it's time for it to change. 

Edited by onthedarkside
unsourced and unsubstantiated claims removed
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

It's an example of common sense shown by the vast majority of people every day, all over the world. 

First you say everyone is wearing masks, next you  say the majority is not. So you support 'herd' mentality? I prefer to make up my own mind, and soon, I am off to town, no mask driving in or walking around outside. But I will put one on in Big-C mall.... by choice.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, Jonathan Swift said:

Most of you who are smugly declaring you've never been vaxed very likely have actually had it with no recognizable symptoms. Get an antibody test and find out.

Why? Who really cares if we had it, so long as no problems arising?

Despite being double vaxxed ( no booster ) I caught it from a family member, and no worse than a week of sore throat.

The worst part was the long covid after that has made me more tired than before, but not really impacted my life in any way.

I imagine that the vast majority that had it have a similar experience. Certainly nothing worth shutting down the economy for, IMO.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

First you say everyone is wearing masks, next you  say the majority is not. So you support 'herd' mentality? I prefer to make up my own mind, and soon, I am off to town, no mask driving in or walking around outside. But I will put one on in Big-C mall.... by choice.

In NZ I live where some still mask up, but most don't. The only place it's still mandatory is in health facilities and old folk's homes.

IMO the government saw that most were ignoring the mask requirements and gave it up, so as not to appear silly.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The ending of the COVID-19 Emergency Decree, which has been in place for 19 times since 25 March, 2020, will result to the CCSA be automatically dissolved, and all the regulations, announcements, and orders issued by the Prime Minister and the Cabinet under the decree be revoked

Prayuts stranglehold on free liberty is unraveling.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Many wore them long before covid because they think it stops breathing pollution, or perhaps they got dirty faces from the polluted air.

Agreed. I once did a bike ride from Hua Hin to BKK.

Also did a couple Pattaya to Koh Chang. A mask would have been a good idea.

Probably should have worn a 12th Century suit of armor as well.

• Haha 1

They made huge mistakes in the beginning of the pandemic, for a variety of reasons (listening to their pet experts rather than the people who knew best, for example) and once it was clear that they had blundered hugely, they couldn't back down.

Politicians of all stripes would rather gargle battery acid than admit to such a colossal set of errors. Plus, as you say, control was handed to them on a plate, and they found, to no one's surprise, that they hugely liked it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

People who mask toddlers deserve a good slap. As do people who wear masks on the beach. 

image.jpeg

M1.jpg

Absolutely correct in masking children, this needs to stop right now.

Terrible behaviour from Thailand education + health authorities. 

Edited by anrcaccount
Typo

6 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

There has been a huge decrease in Covid case loads since late July when that advice was published.

That's in large part because the TH government changed what they were counting as reported COVID cases....

Before, they were counting actual cases, more or less, based on positive tests... Then more recently, they changed to only counting COVID cases involving hospitalization.

That's mainly what drove the change.

When they rarely talk publicly about actual cases lately, it's in the realm of 30K to 60K to 100K PER DAY, estimated.

https://thainewsroom.com/2022/08/04/ccsa-over-200000-people-tested-positive-for-covid-19-via-atk-last-week/

https://thainewsroom.com/2022/07/26/thai-doctor-now-ignores-daily-covid-tally-amid-big-jump-in-atk-positive-total/

and further, from Aug. 19, 2022:

"COVID-19 infections in 44 of Thailand’s provinces, including Bangkok, have been increasing, with an average rate of 31,148 cases a day between August 7th and 13th, according to Spokesman for the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin.

CCSA advisor, Dr. Udom Kachinthorn said today (Friday), before the CCSA meeting, that the actual infection rate should, however, be between 60,000 and 70,000 cases a day, as many are not reported to the authorities."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-infections-on-the-rise-in-44-provinces-over-30000-new-cases-a-day/

8 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Regarding masks, while Thais shouldn't be mocked for continuing to wear, what can be done is:

Educate and inform them why it's no longer necessary in all settings and share how the rest of the world has moved forward. Help reduce the fear. It is changing slowly. 

Children do not have a choice, no children should be masked up anymore. This should be discussed and pushed at every possible opportunity. 

It will only work if authoritarian figures such as politicians and high-profile doctors tell them to remove them. And of course TV presenters should ditch them too.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

They made huge mistakes in the beginning of the pandemic, for a variety of reasons (listening to their pet experts rather than the people who knew best, for example) and once it was clear that they had blundered hugely, they couldn't back down.

Politicians of all stripes would rather gargle battery acid than admit to such a colossal set of errors. Plus, as you say, control was handed to them on a plate, and they found, to no one's surprise, that they hugely liked it.

Well said my friend. Yet some folks can see such as the current jokes that are the "Experts" around the world and believe everything they say.

To believe in one's self, is THOUGHTCRIME.

-----

Gargle with battery acid. LOVE IT!

Edited by jaywalker

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In NZ I live where some still mask up, but most don't. The only place it's still mandatory is in health facilities and old folk's homes.

IMO the government saw that most were ignoring the mask requirements and gave it up, so as not to appear silly.

Well they are still commonplace here (Pattaya), I would say 70/30 in the Mall wearing. Non wearers are mostly Western looking, but not always, men out shopping with Thai wives go along with it. Far fewer outside. 

On 9/23/2022 at 9:54 AM, soumanioco said:

Look at all the snails coming out of their holes to celebrate what exactly? That they didn't get vaxxed!!!

All you can do is feel sorry for such individuals. 

I'm not celebrating anything, but I'm still glad I didn't get vaxxed. I suffered no inconvenience as a result of not being vaxxed. Save your pity for someone who actually needs it.

It's all very well looking at the situation now and then judging the past,  but I remember that in the UK even with some existing restrictions, serious illness and death increased at a frightening pace with the original more serious variants, like Delta. When it got to 1600 deaths a day there had to be a total lockdown. Who knows where it would have gone!  I also remember that when vaccines were first rolled out, the death rate plummeted.

Omicron is of course another matter, and I simply don't understand why some on this forum seem to want to perpetuate a crisis that really no longer exists.

Thailand is hoping for 10 million visitors this year. Pre-Covid was nearly 40 million. 

Tourism represented about 20% of GNP.

This is a massive chunk out of the economy and it's hard to see how they will get anywhere near previous levels

War with Russia soaring prices and inflation in USA and Europe will reduce the numbers from there able to come.Russian tourists are going to find it hard to leave the country. People of conscription age are forbidden, and they will need to be able to move cash around to get here.

Chinese who represented between a quarter and a third of the intake are still subject to lockdown.