“Amazing Thailand 10 Million Celebrations” to mark 10 million visitor milestone for 2022

webfact

image.jpeg

Welcoming events to be held on 10 December at seven airports and two border checkpoints to offer thanks and appreciation to all tourists for their confidence in Thailand as a holiday destination.

TAT Newsroom

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is staging the “Amazing Thailand 10 Million Celebrations” to mark this year’s tourist arrivals through 10 December reaching 10 million milestone.

Thailand recorded about 9.78 million foreign tourist arrivals from 1 January to 5 December, 2022 according to the Immigration Bureau. The number is expected to reach the 10 million visitor arrival mark on 10 December, 2022.

Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, TAT Governor, said “Reaching the 10 million visitor mark so soon after Thailand fully reopened to international tourism on 1 October, 2022, is the result of concerted efforts by all involved in the Thai tourism industry and all Thai people nationwide. As such, we give our sincerest thanks and appreciation to all tourists who have visited us this year.”

The “Amazing Thailand 10 Million Celebrations” are to welcome tourist arrivals on the date at seven key international and regional airports in Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang), Phuket, Krabi, Chiang Mai, U-Tapao and Samui, as well as two border checkpoints in Sadao and Nong Khai.

image.jpeg

A special prize will be present to the luckiest tourist who arrives at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport.

TAT has been continuing to actively promote Thailand as a preferred holiday destination in visitor source markets around the world.

Marketing and promotional efforts have focused on the ‘Visit Thailand Year 2022-2023: Amazing New Chapters’ campaign that invites visitors to discover the many existing and new tourism experiences on offer throughout the kingdom.

There is an emphasis on meaningful travel, and promotion of Thailand’s soft-power foundations, which include Food, Film, Fashion, Fight, and Festival. The kingdom offers a plethora of NFT products – Nature to keep, Food to explore, and Thainess to discover.

Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2022/12/amazing-thailand-10-million-celebrations-to-mark-10-million-visitor-milestone-for-2022/

4ccdac0057e1b125817854c2d637d854.png.b0b5f18f4c4dd9275118484d3c256be9.png

-- © Copyright TAT NEWS 2022-12-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, TAT Governor, said “Reaching the 10 million visitor mark so soon after Thailand fully reopened to international tourism on 1 October, 2022, is the result of concerted efforts by all involved in the Thai tourism industry and all Thai people nationwide. As such, we give our sincerest thanks and appreciation to all tourists who have visited us this year.”

Really, I thought Thailand reopened fully for tourists in July.  In essence the way he states this is that all of these visitors have arrived in just a 2 month period plus the begging of December.....I think not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Really, I thought Thailand reopened fully for tourists in July.  In essence the way he states this is that all of these visitors have arrived in just a 2 month period plus the begging of December.....I think not.

The October 1st " fully reopening " refers to the date tourists were no longer required to show vaccination certificate and ATK test results on entry, plus the launch of more generous visa exempt days from 30 to 45. 

You're reading something into his remarks that simply isn't there, presumably because you're still smarting from being so wildly out with your 6 million tourist prediction for this year.

Keep digging Nostradamus.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

The October 1st " fully reopening " refers to the date tourists were no longer required to show vaccination certificate and ATK test results on entry, plus the launch of more generous visa exempt days from 30 to 45. 

You're reading something into his remarks that simply isn't there, presumably because you're still smarting from being so wildly out with your 6 million tourist prediction for this year.

A lot of workers crossed the border after covid. Are they tourists? I think they are borrowing land border crossing figures. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritScot said:

I think not! If I didn't have family and a house (I'm not even interested in the house anymore) in Thailand I would never visit for a holiday as there are far better places to go.

who cares about your personal life or opinion in regards to the amount of tourists coming into thailand ? 

are you at the airports daily ? 

this past week i was in koh chang and pattaya. both places were quite busy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritScot said:

A lot of workers crossed the border after covid. Are they tourists? I think they are borrowing land border crossing figures. 

You're really only speculating without any factual information to go on.

One point I'd highlight though is the average length of stay of tourists from neighbouring land border countries, Malaysia, Cambodia, Myannmar and Laos in the past has been between 5 and 7 days,  it would hardly pay illegal migrant workers to be here for such a short time and if it was a major issue affecting real tourist numbers I suspect the duration figures would be massively time distorted. 

Edited by kinyara
edit

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

So your agreeing they all came since October...I think not.

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So your agreeing they all came since October...I think not.

Of course not and neither is the TAT Governer saying that. He's been looking at the same gradual monthly improvement in arrivals since the start of the year as I am. He's pointing out that they've hit their target earlier than expected, nothing more than that.

13 hours ago, kinyara said:

Of course not and neither is the TAT Governer saying that. He's been looking at the same gradual monthly improvement in arrivals since the start of the year as I am. He's pointing out that they've hit their target earlier than expected, nothing more than that.

A target where the 4 surrounding countries migrant workers who are arriving under the MOU, or coming g across the border to shop for necessities as Thailand is closer for them are now classed as tourists....try again

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A target where the 4 surrounding countries migrant workers who are arriving under the MOU, or coming g across the border to shop for necessities as Thailand is closer for them are now classed as tourists....try again

So you're going full conspiracy theory now and suggesting they've altered their methodology since re-opening because the current figures aren't the result you want to see ?  You're not a Trump supporter by any chance ?

Malaysia, historically Thailand's second largest tourist market doesn't supply migrant workers to Thailand, it's the other way round as the pay rates are higher in Malaysia. See my point above about trip duration also not supporting the illegal migrant worker theory. Cambodia was down at 13th in terms of tourist visitors in 2019 and Myannmar didn't even make the top 20. Even if those countries were actually all non-tourists they would be pretty insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

Is there an element of cross border shopping, of course there is like any other country and that money is welcome in Thailand, it's all part of foreign inflows into the country, however it's hardly the dominant underlying reason driving the recovery of the Thai tourist industry. I presume if you and your mates crossed from the US to Mexico for a fun weekend in Tijuana you would consider yourselves tourists, why don't you consider the same is true for border country visitors to Thailand ?

5 minutes ago, kinyara said:

So you're going full conspiracy theory now and suggesting they've altered their methodology since re-opening because the current figures aren't the result you want to see ?  You're not a Trump supporter by any chance ?

Malaysia, historically Thailand's second largest tourist market doesn't supply migrant workers to Thailand, it's the other way round as the pay rates are higher in Malaysia. See my point above about trip duration also not supporting the illegal migrant worker theory. Cambodia was down at 13th in terms of tourist visitors in 2019 and Myannmar didn't even make the top 20. Even if those countries were actually all non-tourists they would be pretty insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

Is there an element of cross border shopping, of course there is like any other country and that money is welcome in Thailand, it's all part of foreign inflows into the country, however it's hardly the dominant underlying reason driving the recovery of the Thai tourist industry. I presume if you and your mates crossed from the US to Mexico for a fun weekend in Tijuana you would consider yourselves tourists, why don't you consider the same is true for border country visitors to Thailand ?

You get wound around the axels too easily, give your diatribe a rest and learn to look outside of the box once in your life. The world is not black and white my friend....it's mostly filled with gray areas of which folks try to fit the round peg in a square hole. You MAGA supporters believe everything certain people say....try again. Tourism is tourism, shopping for necessities or crossing for work is not tourism 

Edited by ThailandRyan

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You get wound around the axels too easily, give your diatribe a rest and learn to look outside of the box once in your life. The world is not black and white my friend....it's mostly filled with gray areas of which folks try to fit the round peg in a square hole. You MAGA supporters believe everything certain people say....try again. Tourism is tourism, shopping for necessities or crossing for work is not tourism 

Correct, crossing for work is not tourism and neither is it counted as such. I have no problem pointing out obvious falsehoods that detract from the bigger picture.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Correct, crossing for work is not tourism and neither is it counted as such. I have no problem pointing out obvious falsehoods that detract from the bigger picture.

I travel back and forth across the border 3 to 4 times a year, yet I live here, and as always I am considered a Long Stay tourist, so then in essence I am counted 3 or 4 times every year.  The same goes with those that come and go for work...try again.  Are you now trying to say they do not count me or the workers who travel in and out who work for multinational companies......you are a lost cause, time to ignore you.

22 hours ago, BritScot said:

I think not! If I didn't have family and a house (I'm not even interested in the house anymore) in Thailand I would never visit for a holiday as there are far better places to go.

Still an attraction for the desperate sex tourist willing to fork out 3k for a bit of short time fun, the Indians as it's not that far and the clueless tik tik generation who think KSR and full moon parties is Thailand. If the Mrs cleared off or died I would be on the next available fight ????

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, stoner said:

who cares about your personal life or opinion in regards to the amount of tourists coming into thailand ? 

are you at the airports daily ? 

this past week i was in koh chang and pattaya. both places were quite busy. 

This is a forum where people share their opinion.  My opinion and experiences are valid and a contribution  to the community of Thai visa.  The "I have no right" or my contribution isn't worthy" Wow"! I've only been staying in Thailand since 2002, I've lived through 2 coups in Thailand. I've worked as a scuba diving instructor in Kow Tow and experienced the changes on the island. I've worked as a teacher in Bkk and witnessed the changes. My experience with Thailand matters because it's  21 years long. Thailand is not the place it was and it became so unbearable that we left leaving a house we built and family to start again in the uk (a move none of us regret which includes my children).  The fact I do not believe tats figures has that experience. The fact I've seen and experienced the great "Hub" Thailand was!!@@ 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I travel back and forth across the border 3 to 4 times a year, yet I live here, and as always I am considered a Long Stay tourist, so then in essence I am counted 3 or 4 times every year.  The same goes with those that come and go for work...try again.  Are you now trying to say they do not count me or the workers who travel in and out who work for multinational companies......you are a lost cause, time to ignore you.

If you are coming in on a tourist visa or visa exempt then you are counted as a tourist, nothing difficult to understand about that even though I didn't even mention the scenarios you now highlight. In my working life I used to come here every 2 months on leave for 25 days visa exempt effectively as my base, I don't see anything odd about being counted as a tourist every time, I was on my holiday and that's what I effectively was. Now I'm on a Non-Immigrant O Annual Extension of Stay and have to get a Re-Entry Permit if I leave to re-enter, I'm not re-entering on a tourist visa so I very much doubt I'm classified as a tourist. 

18 hours ago, kinyara said:

You're really only speculating without any factual information to go on.

One point I'd highlight though is the average length of stay of tourists from neighbouring land border countries, Malaysia, Cambodia, Myannmar and Laos in the past has been between 5 and 7 days,  it would hardly pay illegal migrant workers to be here for such a short time and if it was a major issue affecting real tourist numbers I suspect the duration figures would be massively time distorted. 

But so are their figures and from experience Tat are not great at maths! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

This is a forum where people share their opinion.  My opinion and experiences are valid and a contribution  to the community of Thai visa.  The "I have no right" or my contribution isn't worthy" Wow"! I've only been staying in Thailand since 2002, I've lived through 2 coups in Thailand. I've worked as a scuba diving instructor in Kow Tow and experienced the changes on the island. I've worked as a teacher in Bkk and witnessed the changes. My experience with Thailand matters because it's  21 years long. Thailand is not the place it was and it became so unbearable that we left leaving a house we built and family to start again in the uk (a move none of us regret which includes my children).  The fact I do not believe tats figures has that experience. The fact I've seen and experienced the great "Hub" Thailand was!!@@ 

ok got it. come to you for anything and everything related to thailand and the absolute truth. 

check.

3 hours ago, BritScot said:

But so are their figures and from experience Tat are not great at maths! 

TAT are not the ones responsible for collating the actual statistics so their maths skills are irrelevant, the figures are one of the simpler economic measures to gather. They are not in the business of trying to fool a few disgruntled expats. I'd agree TAT has historically been far too optimistic with their forecasts, their forecasting skills are not great,  however on this occassion they have actually been correct with their 2022 target.

• Haha 1