British tourist arrested for overstaying in Sisaket, says he loves Thailand so much he doesn’t want to leave

snoop1130

UK man arrested on a Sisaket road for 75-day visa overstay faces Bangkok jail and deportation

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

image.jpeg

Michael McLaughlin was detained and questioned by police on Thursday in Sisaket. He is now being held at Sisaket Police Station as legal proceedings are prepared against him for overstaying his visa in Thailand.

30-year-old Michael McLaughlin at first denied any knowledge of breaking the law but later changed his story by admitting he was hiding in Sisaket because he wanted to stay in Thailand and avoid returning to the United Kingdom.

A 30-year-old UK national is facing deportation after being arrested by Immigration Bureau officers in Sisaket as part of a nationwide crackdown on visa overstayers. 

The Immigration Bureau in Sisaket province, in lower northeastern Thailand, announced on Tuesday that it had arrested a UK man for overstaying his visa in Thailand by 75 days.

The move appears to be part of a nationwide crackdown with reports of foreigners being rounded up also in other parts of the country.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/12/07/uk-man-arrested-in-sisaket-on-visa-overstay/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-12-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onerak said:

The officer wrote a letter that I lost my passport and got a new one and transferred my visa info into the new one. I wanted to teach her a lesson that she can't do anything to me even if she takes my passport. She thought Police will arrest me for not having a passport and I have to come to her crawling because I am in her country and she had the upper hand. It was more than 15 years decades ago.

What happened to the old passport ?

Did you lie to the Police and say that you lost your Passport ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Did you lie to the Police and say that you lost your Passport ?

Yes, I had my suspicion that she stole my passport but no proof. Also, I did not want to implicate her only wanted to scare her. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, it is what it is said:

a stolen passport is a family matter? he wasn't really that helpful was he?!

The cop thought no money to be had if she had buggered off with his credit cards as well as his passport and that he would probably need his cash for the bus ride.

If the UK did their job and done this they would be called racist by the loony lefties. You can't blame Thailand for doing this. Sounds like the guy knows Thai culture well as his reply was right out of the Thai Wai book of "please let me off".

• Like 1

It seems to me there is more to this story than has been published.

A 30yo knowingly overstaying, hiding out, and reluctant to return home.

Local authorities looking for him specifically in the town where he is hiding.

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised it UK authorities asked the locals to apprehend him for other matters.

• Like 1