Regulator demands return of ฿600m for breach of “Must Carry” rule on World Cup broadcasts

snoop1130

C4DC4214-6D42-47F1-BBB0-616A9C4D5488.jpeg

Image Credit: NBTC’s official website

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), Thailand’s broadcast and communications regulator, has demanded the return of 600 million baht, granted to the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) to purchase the World Cup 2022 broadcast rights for Thailand from FIFA, for alleged breach of contract.

Air Marshal Thanapant Raicharoen, a member of the NBTC, said today (Thursday), that they voted unanimously to send a letter to the SAT, demanding the return of the 600 million baht within 15 days.

The 600 million baht came from the NBTC’s Broadcasting and Telecommunications Research and Development Fund. The remaining 1 billion baht for the broadcast rights came from corporate sponsors.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/regulator-demands-return-of-600m-for-breach-of-must-carry-rule-on-world-cup-broadcasts/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-12-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Considering True sued and won against a rival showing games this could get interesting.   It all depends on the deal struck with NBTC and whether or not there was an exclusivity clause in the agreement.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

So TRUE have effectively had the NBTC subsidize their bid for the best 32 matches- the public cannot see some of them, the money has gone, and the SAT dont have anything to pay back. They are all a complete bunch of incompetent morons who should be sacked and asked to pay the money back themselves.

And lets not forget the President of the SAT is one Prawit Wongsuwan.

Welcome to Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

So let me get this straight:

The NBTC a government body lent 600 million to another Government body the SAT to help get the WC rights for all to see

The SAT another government body accepted and also negotiated with corporate sponsors seemingly giving them exclusive rights to 32 matches completely contrary to the all to see regulation

The NBTC were completely silent about this and never even raised it as an issue

When the 1st match started it was clear that it was not free for all and TRUE had been given rights

The public complained and the NBTC quickly trying to save face decided they had to do something

Now they have demanded the money back and looks like hte two government tax payer funded entities will start wasting more taxpayers money in court

So TRUE have effectively had the NBTC subsidize their bid for the best 32 matches- the public cannot see some of them, the money has gone, and the SAT dont have anything to pay back. They are all a complete bunch of incompetent morons who should be sacked and asked to pay the money back themselves.

And lets not forget the President of the SAT is one Prawit Wongsuwan.

Not really, it’s all about encryption and the ability of some broadcasters to prevent their signals from being accessible in other countries.

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Not really, it’s all about encryption and the ability of some broadcasters to prevent their signals from being accessible in other countries.

I thought that was a seperate issue. You probably no more than me, am just an idle observer reading the news and seems a cock up from what i read but sure more nuanced than i know.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I thought that was a seperate issue. You probably no more than me, am just an idle observer reading the news and seems a cock up from what i read but sure more nuanced than i know.

I’ve followed it quite closely and although it’s a minor inconvenience to me (I now have to go downstairs to watchTrue rather than watch PSI in bed!), it’s clear that encryption is the one and only reason that it’s been removed from those platforms that are either unable or unwilling to encrypt to the standard required in the contract with FIFA.

i hope everyone gets to enjoy it one way or another.

If you want a fairly simple operation turned into infighting and total chaos, simply employ a bunch of Thais.

Instead of four years to organize this, they gave themselves about a week, and then built a convoluted system of rights and responsibilities, which could either be misunderstood or exploited to the benefit of one or more opportunists.

Then spend the next year arguing the toss about who did what to whom, and come up with a 'solution' which satisfies nobody.

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

I’ve followed it quite closely and although it’s a minor inconvenience to me (I now have to go downstairs to watchTrue rather than watch PSI in bed!), it’s clear that encryption is the one and only reason that it’s been removed from those platforms that are either unable or unwilling to encrypt to the standard required in the contract with FIFA.

i hope everyone gets to enjoy it one way or another.

VPN sorts it all.

On 12/9/2022 at 6:03 PM, DJ54 said:

I’ve seen one match on free TV and the rest nothing but blank screen

I've watched every match so bar 3 on free tv so not sure what channels you were trying to watch on, but I posted here on ASEANOW the entire match schedule which included the tv channel the games could be watch on. The 3 games I didn't see were from the nights that TRUE did have a blank screen at game time.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

I've watched every match so bar 3 on free tv so not sure what channels you were trying to watch on, but I posted here on ASEANOW the entire match schedule which included the tv channel the games could be watch on. The 3 games I didn't see were from the nights that TRUE did have a blank screen at game time.

I went through all the channels and couldn't find the Holland v Argentina game last night. Had to watch an illegal online stream instead.

On 12/10/2022 at 9:00 PM, edwardandtubs said:

I went through all the channels and couldn't find the Holland v Argentina game last night. Had to watch an illegal online stream instead.

They've pulled the plug on the free tv broadcasts again, so I'm using my vpn to watch via ITV.

Edited by TigerandDog

On 12/10/2022 at 3:13 AM, Eleftheros said:

If you want a fairly simple operation turned into infighting and total chaos, simply employ a bunch of Thais.

Instead of four years to organize this, they gave themselves about a week, and then built a convoluted system of rights and responsibilities, which could either be misunderstood or exploited to the benefit of one or more opportunists.

Then spend the next year arguing the toss about who did what to whom, and come up with a 'solution' which satisfies nobody.

And quite appropriate, the words above. 

Shouldn't surprise anyone that these things could not be figured out or resolved in a reasonable manner. 

Thai. Sad to say.

• Thumbs Up 1