Sweet Potatos

Does anyone know if one can use the purple coloured sweet potatos that are available in lieu of the yellow/golden/ orange coloured sweet potatos. In other words, has anyone tried to make sweet potato pie with the purple variety?

Thanks

Does anyone know if one can use the purple coloured sweet potatos that are available in lieu of the yellow/golden/ orange coloured sweet potatos. In other words, has anyone tried to make sweet potato pie with the purple variety?

Thanks

Try this.....

Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:

4 cups mashed sweet potatoes

1 cup white sugar

1 tsp real vanilla extract

4 large eggs

1 stick melted butter

1/3 cup whole milk (heavy cream works, too.)

Topping

1/2 cup tight packed brown sugar

1/4 cup cake flour

1 cup chopped pecans

2 1/2 tbsp butter

Prep:

mix casserole ingredients in mixer until well blended. Put into well-greased (with butter) 2 qt casserole dish. mix and spread topping ingredients over casserole mix. Bake @ 350 for 50 minutes

Nice recipe, Buckwheat.

Never tried the purple ones, LaReina. But if they boil up and taste like the orange ones, give it a try. Geez, UG, I made several sweet potato pies for many big Thanksgiving dinners in Thailand. Always worked for me, and a heck of a lot easier than whacking open pumpkins with a machete. No seed scraping or heavy-duty peeling either. :o I always used the orange SPs. Very yummy with loads of whipped cream on top. The crust is the prob; gotta keep everything cold when you make the dough -- maybe do it in a walk-in freezer (see the pastry thread here).

Sorry, but I was talking about the purple ones. Lateef was trying all sorts of stuff, but always seemed dry and tasteless to me.

I tried mashing some of the "purple" ones with butter and pepper... it came out ok, but it was no substitute really.

totster :o

Jet!

Where do you find the golden looking sweet potatos in Thailand. Are you by chance in Bangkok??

Please tell!

Buckwheat I will try your receipe tomorrow! With the purple kind as I already bought them and I assume you meant you used the purple ones for your casserole. By the way, have you actualy used the purple ones?

Then don't use the PURPLE ones. Sheesh. :D

At the time, Chef Lateefe didn't seem to know that there were golden ones in Thailand and I didn't know until I read it here. :D

If your hoping to get the last word in here General, don't bother. :o

How about Bambina dropping us a few helpful hints so we can ask around for them properly in a talaat? I know of course that a potato is a man farang, and that a sweet potato (greenish tint flesh) is a man kaeow. What are the Thai names of all the other colored potatoes we find in the markets ? Anybody know ? And spelling in Thai would help us say it right too, if you don't mind.