Latest online 'drama': Southern beach sculptures cost nearly 5MB - shades of "Lamppostgate"

webfact

Just how many visitors ever go there to see these sculptures and beaches? Locals and Malaysians? Certainly very few western tourists with all the travel warnings against going to that area. I travelled through Panare in 2000, before the troubles really started. I was on a solo bicycle tour and remember that area being pretty much deserted.

The sculptures do look quite good so perhaps they might be better enjoyed on Pattaya beach for selfies aplenty.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I have been to Panare Beach a few times, but have never seen more than a few people around there and I found the beach less than appealing anyway.

Some people profited off of this for sure.

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Certainly very few western tourists with all the travel warnings against going to that area.

What's so important about having 'western tourists'? Plenty of Malaysians, Indonesians and Singaporeans come to visit the south.

44 minutes ago, Stocky said:

What's so important about having 'western tourists'? Plenty of Malaysians, Indonesians and Singaporeans come to visit the south.

The story is posted/linked here on a English language forum predominantly read by us foreigners. As @MarcelV posted above, and, in my own experience, few people seem to visit there. Maybe the local officials were hoping to attract tourism away from Songkhla. Or maybe it had a good element of incentive to those who commissioned it.

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

They don't visit Panare District though. Only locals go there.

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

The story is posted/linked here on a English language forum predominantly read by us foreigners. 

Be that as it may, it doesn't answer the question why tourists need  to be westerners to count?

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This story has shades of "lamppostgate" about it.

Christ  has putting "gate" at the end of shenanigans come to Thailand.

This terminology has to be the most irritating I have come across.

It started with Watergate , not because there was a problem with water , the hotel / office complex was called WATERGATE .

Are reporters just that lazy , that they cannot think of an original headline ?

• Like 2