ASEAN steps in to try and moderate Thailand’s burning issue

webfact

image.jpeg
PM2.5 air pollution in Chiang Rai PM2.5 air pollution in Chiang Rai

By Peter Roche

The secretary-general of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Kao Kim Hourn, has pledged to support efforts to combat transboundary haze pollution in the region. During his official visit to Thailand, Kao Kim Hourn paid a courtesy call on caretake Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha at Government House, where they discussed various issues including the hazardous haze blanketing several ASEAN member countries, principally Thailand, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia.

This week Chiang Mai has recorded the worst air quality in the world on most days – a shameful situation that is affecting the residents and crushing the local tourism industry and reputation.

The transboundary haze crisis was a major topic, and PM Prayut emphasised the urgent need for a solution, requesting support from the ASEAN secretary-general. He asked Kao Kim Hourn to coordinate efforts to tackle the problem and hold an urgent meeting with member countries to discuss a solution, particularly measures to reduce hotspots in the region.

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/asean-steps-in-to-try-and-moderate-thailands-burning-issue/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-03-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

54 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Surely other countries get smoke from burning fields in Thailand?  Trans-boundary is a two way flow.  Need to sort out our own back yard too.

Take a look at this fire map from a bit earlier today. Myanmar and Laos. It's about the wind direction. Not sure what other countries would be affected from Thailand's burning.

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/

fire map.png

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

First look at the OP Title and I thought AseanNow was stepping in to help negotiate the fight by using the posters concerns on the burning, but then I realized it is the ASEAN association.  After reading the OP and the link I realized that in reality there is nothing anyone can do except the countries themselves, which of course we know will not happen unless a subsidy is put in place to keep the farmers from burning and the villagers to quit burning to make charcoal, and increase the potential for mushrooms to grow....

The ASEAN body, like most other regional cooperative associations, exist in rhetorical namesake only. Just going through the motions as if they're striving to create a betterment for the broader commons. 

I note that the map suggests that 90% of the Thai-generated fires are in the north, not the NE ie Isaan.

I wonder why that is. Living here in south Surin the locals don't strike me as notably more rational than their northern almost-cousins ...

On 3/31/2023 at 5:43 AM, Kinnock said:

Surely other countries get smoke from burning fields in Thailand?  Trans-boundary is a two way flow.  Need to sort out our own back yard too.

But they can't or won't for some reason, year after year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2023 at 12:01 AM, ThailandRyan said:

After reading the OP and the link I realized that in reality there is nothing anyone can do except the countries themselves, which of course we know will not happen unless a subsidy is put in place 

Something like a subsidy on top of the subsidy on top of the subsidy? Would this subsidy be for the farmers or for the oligarchs and middlemen that take most of the profits? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 7:35 PM, webfact said:

PM Prayut emphasised the urgent need for a solution, requesting support from the ASEAN secretary-general. He asked Kao Kim Hourn to coordinate efforts to tackle the problem and hold an urgent meeting with member countries to discuss a solution,

Oh Come on!! Clean your own dang house Prayut!

On 3/31/2023 at 12:35 PM, webfact said:

PM Prayut emphasised the urgent need for a solution

Umm, perhaps tell people to STOP BURNING! Yes, Burma burns a heck of a lot, but have seen first hand whole mountainsides ablaze here too… then you still get the idiots burning trash in their yard in front of their kids at this time.

Quoting above, he doesn’t want to call out his own for their wrongdoings right now because a general election looming. Damp squib manchild. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1