Thai food’s bold blend of flavours: A culinary delight with a fatal bite

webfact

1 minute ago, Jimjim1 said:

You are correct but they will not display or sell the whole head,

Sure they were available many years ago, or was that sheeps' heads? My mother would ask them to leave the eyes in to see her through the week!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

So what? It’s still an over-generalization, it’s still stereotyping and you utterly missed my point, which was, people all over the globe from all races make stupid decisions on a daily basis. It’s not just an occurrence in Thailand or the Isaan for that matter! 

And by the way, there’s nothing you can tell me about Thailand that I don’t already know myself. 

Ok, please point out, when I posted it was an isolated thing that only occurs in Thailand? This is a forum that concentrate on Thailand, and that is simply why I focus on that in my posts and replies.

I don´t think I need to start with telling you about Thailand. We have to go more basic before that. For example, you seem to find information in posts that I have not written, as dealt with above.

20 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, it kills 20000 people a year in an area that has how many millions of inhabitants who eat that dish regularly? 

I wouldn't eat it, but I guess smoking and drinking kills a lot more people every year. 

20,000 deaths a year isn't really a lot anyway. And it is mainly the stubborn elderly who succumb to this disease as mentioned in the article. 

'.....he encounters resistance from the older generation. Dr. Khuntikeo laments…

“They’ll say: ‘Oh well, there are many ways to die'. (which is true of course)

My wife loves koi pla and is not afraid to eat it, but she is well aware of the problem and she and her relatives are tested regularly at the local hospital. So far, in 9 years we've been living here, she has tested negative.

Personally, I think this a bit of a 'mountain out of a mole hill' issue. There's one thing for sure. They are not to stop the rural Issan folk from catching and eating the abundant free food that is all around them in the lakes and rivers. I also enjoy it, but my fish is always cooked for me.

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow ye may die.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, please point out, when I posted it was an isolated thing that only occurs in Thailand? This is a forum that concentrate on Thailand, and that is simply why I focus on that in my posts and replies.

I don´t think I need to start with telling you about Thailand. We have to go more basic before that. For example, you seem to find information in posts that I have not written, as dealt with above.

Actually it is an anti Thai think....expats constantly write posts that imply they are intellectually superior to Thai people....essentially it is a racist standpoint which invokes the racist concept of "other".

11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

20,000 deaths a year isn't really a lot anyway. And it is mainly the stubborn elderly who succumb to this disease as mentioned in the article. 

'.....he encounters resistance from the older generation. Dr. Khuntikeo laments…

“They’ll say: ‘Oh well, there are many ways to die'. (which is true of course)

My wife loves koi pla and is not afraid to eat it, but she is well aware of the problem and she and her relatives are tested regularly at the local hospital. So far, in 9 years we've been living here, she has tested negative.

Personally, I think this a bit of a 'mountain out of a mole hill' issue. There's one thing for sure. They are not to stop the rural Issan folk from catching and eating the abundant free food that is all around them in the lakes and rivers. I also enjoy it, but my fish is always cooked for me.

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow ye may die.

20,000 from just one type of cancer and the region has the highest death rate from it in the world. ...and it is avoidable.

42 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Actually it is an anti Thai think....expats constantly write posts that imply they are intellectually superior to Thai people....essentially it is a racist standpoint which invokes the racist concept of "other".

As you are taking over a reply to another poster, you failed to point out what I asked you to. Moreover, you did apparently not understand my given reason why I concentrated on Thais and Thailand. There were no racism in my post, as I clearly pointed out why I focused on Thailand. The reason were it is a Thai forum. Now please humor me and point out where I have said or posted it only exists in Thailand.

Edited by Gottfrid

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

20,000 from just one type of cancer and the region has the highest death rate from it in the world. ...and it is avoidable.

So is cirrhosis of the liver and lung cancer avoidable. How many heed the warnings? Many of whom are pontificating on this forum I might add!

And as I pointed out in my post earlier, many Thais are aware of the problem and do take steps to avoid it.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So is cirrhosis of the liver and lung cancer avoidable.

THe diseases =referred to are cancer of the liver - not the 2 you mention - this is an extra disease that is way over the population norm... on top of other illnesses common to the rest of the country.. THe disease unlike smoking related diseases is causd by an organism that is treatable in iy=tself - yet they are not being diagnosed - this means the health service is failing to prevent a disease.

Edited by kwilco

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Yes there was - you point of view is skewed as you are taking a racist approach to a disease - as this is not based on any sciene, only prjudice, you can\t possibley coe up with a rational answer. - e.g. "blaming "Thais"

Do I need to be racist because I come up with blaming Thais for eating a certain Thai dish? Who else is eating it? Should I start talk about Germans? Please, give me a subject to talk about, Sir. ????

Edited by Gottfrid

16 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Do I need to be racist because I come up with blaming Thais for eating a certain Thai dish? Who else is eating it? Should I start talk about Germans? Please, give me a subject to talk about, Sir. ????

QED - and you compound with your own German prejudices!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

If you can't see why I've interpreted your post the way I did then I can't help you, but it definitely came across as Thai bashing. 

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

QED - and you compound with your own German prejudices!

My own German prejudices??? I am a Swede.

Now let hear you tell me what population I should post about in a Thai forum, that eat the food in the specific thread? Is that Thais, or is it other nationalities?

Second, do you find it smart and intelligent to eat the dish described, or do you think they do that because they do not care or have required knowledge to understand the danger?

28 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

If you can't see why I've interpreted your post the way I did then I can't help you, but it definitely came across as Thai bashing. 

I have not asked for any help, and I do not need any. Maybe it was Thai bashing in a way, but it included a lot of facts and it was not racist.

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

THe diseases =referred to are cancer of the liver - not the 2 you mention - this is an extra disease that is way over the population norm... on top of other illnesses common to the rest of the country.. THe disease unlike smoking related diseases is causd by an organism that is treatable in iy=tself - yet they are not being diagnosed - this means the health service is failing to prevent a disease.

The reason that I draw a parallel between lung cancer,  cirrhosis of the liver and Fascioliasis (the disease caused by liver fluke) is that all three are caused by human behaviour and are preventable.

However there is a difference. Whilst the first two can be largely prevented by abstention, one can carry on eating koi pla and still prevent the disease by regular screening. (See my earlier post regarding my wife and her family) 

The health service does offer screening and treatment for free and efforts are made to raise awareness. But as the old adage goes, 'you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot force it to drink'. You can't force folks to place a stool sample in a jar and take it along to the clinic for screening. As I previously quoted: 

“They’ll say: ‘Oh well, there are many ways to die'.

Therein lies the problem. Denial.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:53 PM, VBF said:

Yes I do get that but a good chef will account for that when cooking. It's just the "Nanny State" mentality in UK that irritates me.

Most bacteria is not found in meat it's found in recooked vegetables on the street food in Thailand for example the bacteria is not fully  in cooked in the middle of the stalk of the vegetable

20 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I have not asked for any help, and I do not need any. Maybe it was Thai bashing in a way, but it included a lot of facts and it was not racist.

Ok, for the last time, the way you worded it made it sound like Thais are stupid and despite warnings still do stupid <deleted>, which in my opinion applies to mankind in general amd not just to one specific country or one region in any given country. 

If you had written, people who eat that fish despite the warnings we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Also, generalizations like people in the Isaan for example never hold any water because it's NEVER all of the people. It's like saying all the Irish are lcoholics or all the British tourists are drunk heathens that get into fights wherever they go. 

Food for thought. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, arick said:

Most bacteria is not found in meat it's found in recooked vegetables on the street food in Thailand for example the bacteria is not fully  in cooked in the middle of the stalk of the vegetable

Not doubting you as such, but I've always thought that meat is far more likely to be the culprit than veggies. Especially pork which, I believe, is where the Halal and Kosher laws emanated a couple of thousand years ago.

Have you a link to this information?

36 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Ok, for the last time, the way you worded it made it sound like Thais are stupid and despite warnings still do stupid <deleted>, which in my opinion applies to mankind in general amd not just to one specific country or one region in any given country. 

If you had written, people who eat that fish despite the warnings we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Also, generalizations like people in the Isaan for example never hold any water because it's NEVER all of the people. It's like saying all the Irish are lcoholics or all the British tourists are drunk heathens that get into fights wherever they go. 

Food for thought. 

Ok for the last time,  I was writing in a Thai forum. I live in Thailand, hence I was referring to Thai people. We were discussing a dish from Isaan, mostly eaten by Isaan people. Hence focusing on Isaan people.

Did that make it easier for you to get?

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok for the last time,  I was writing in a Thai forum. I live in Thailand, hence I was referring to Thai people. We were discussing a dish from Isaan, mostly eaten by Isaan people. Hence focusing on Isaan people.

Did that make it easier for you to get?

Here's a few facts about your supposed "facts" about people from the Isaan:

Just because someone is uneducated does not mean that that person has no common sense, is fricking stupid and has a low IQ because intelligence and IQ have absolutely nothing to do with education. 

They probably look at it like this: 

How many people do I know who actually died from the parasite in that fish? The answer is probably one or two out of hundreds or even thousands of people they know, so for them the risk is pretty low. Guess that thought didn't  occur to you.  You just rather throw a whole region into the same pot!