Buying From Ebay

RusticCharm

I've found a few things on EBay I'd like to buy and wonder whether any posters here have any experience in this with regards to any customs duties being levied by Thai customs

I'm aware most companies who advertise on EBay label their packages 'Gift' but I'm not sure whether this helps at all in avoiding import tax.

Also, would having a Work permit help?

Cheers.

Edited by RusticCharm

I've found a few things on EBay I'd like to buy and wonder whether any posters here have any experience in this with regards to any customs duties being levied by Thai customs

I'm aware most companies who advertise on EBay label their packages 'Gift' but I'm not sure whether this helps at all in avoiding import tax.

Cheers.

I have bought many things on Ebay and have never been charged duty on any item. This is because as long as it's sent by ordinary airmail, customs seem to not bother. But beware of using Parcel Delivery Companies such as T.N.T as they will collect the Custom Duty for the Thai Government.

I have bought many things on Ebay and have never been charged duty on any item. This is because as long as it's sent by ordinary airmail, customs seem to not bother. But beware of using Parcel Delivery Companies such as T.N.T as they will collect the Custom Duty for the Thai Government.
Thanks! Very useful info.

Cheers.

US Post Office Global Priority- have NEVER had a small package opened when sent this way. I think there is a size and weight limit for this method. It seems the the bigger the box the more chance it will be opened. I just had a large box sent with value of contents $25- customs didnt agree and hit me with 1700 baht in fees.

I agree that the size of the box is the trigger mechanism that gets customs involved. All my small packages come through without a hitch regardless of the declared value being in excess of $25. Large packages rarely get through without duty. The shipper should attach the customs declaration card with the declared value stated thereon, but a large package marked as a gift with a value of $25 just "yells" undervalued to customs unless the contents is described as something easily recognized as being of large size but inexpensive to buy. Ie: an inflated balloon toy????

I recently purchased a couple of items off eBay. The value was about $250 US. The shipping cost was VERY high at $80. The items weighed four pounds and were shipped UPS. I was charged Thai tax of about 800 baht. The package was NOT opened and got here in nine days.

I recently purchased a couple of items off eBay. The value was about $250 US. The shipping cost was VERY high at $80. The items weighed four pounds and were shipped UPS. I was charged Thai tax of about 800 baht. The package was NOT opened and got here in nine days.

this is nice to know ,often looked at ebay but was unsure ,now maybe i will buy the watch i want .....

this is nice to know ,often looked at ebay but was unsure ,now maybe i will buy the watch i want .....

I hesitated about paying the $80 for the shipping because a friend of mine is coming over in October. That would have eliminated the high shipping cost and the customs fee, BUT, like most kids, I wanted my new toys NOW! :o

I suppose this deviates slightly into the subject of the postal service, but has anyone ever had an ebay-bought item simply not arrive?

Frankly I just assumed it was a big risk of simply 'losing' the item and therefore never considered buying on ebay from Thailand. Maybe I'll give it a shot soon.

I suppose this deviates slightly into the subject of the postal service, but has anyone ever had an ebay-bought item simply not arrive?

Frankly I just assumed it was a big risk of simply 'losing' the item and therefore never considered buying on ebay from Thailand. Maybe I'll give it a shot soon.

I've never had anything bought on ebay not arrive, but it's only 5 or 6 times (no customs duties).

One item I sent to the US wasn't picked up by the recipient (using Thai registered airmail, you can track on the US postal website) - after a month it was noted as returned to sender. I didn't expect to see it again, and I'd already got the money, but in fact it did turn up back in Thailand. Well done to the postal services of both countries.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

I would like to add my kudos as well.

A box of checks was addressed correctly except for the destination country that was written as Taiwan not Thailand and yet I still got the box of unwanted free checks.

Five years of trouble free postal service in Thailand from all over the world. I am not a person who enjoys good luck so it isn't that. I do put my project name after my house number when I indicate my address for orders and correspondence, which is superfluous, I know, but everyone at the local post office that handles my zip code knows the 250 house project by name, I am sure. They also forgave me a long time ago because I did not put the project number and a forward slash in front of my house number on the marble house number sign out front, after all, I am surrounded on all sides by the project number and it would have made the sign too big for my design!! Large etched gold numbers in a green marble background.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

I am very pleased to read the commendations of the thai postal service from more seasoned hands.

My negative opinion was based on 3 instances of envelopes posted from Paris to Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Pakchong - none of which arrived. All three were thicker than usual (wedding invites, photos). Being new to Thailand I assumed this was a 3rd world country problem. But I will now assume the fault was not the thai postal service's and try again.

I would like to add my kudos as well.

A box of checks was addressed correctly except for the destination country that was written as Taiwan not Thailand and yet I still got the box of unwanted free checks.

Five years of trouble free postal service in Thailand from all over the world. I am not a person who enjoys good luck so it isn't that. I do put my project name after my house number when I indicate my address for orders and correspondence, which is superfluous, I know, but everyone at the local post office that handles my zip code knows the 250 house project by name, I am sure. They also forgave me a long time ago because I did not put the project number and a forward slash in front of my house number on the marble house number sign out front, after all, I am surrounded on all sides by the project number and it would have made the sign too big for my design!! Large etched gold numbers in a green marble background.

I am very pleased to read the commendations of the thai postal service from more seasoned hands.

My negative opinion was based on 3 instances of envelopes posted from Paris to Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Pakchong - none of which arrived. All three were thicker than usual (wedding invites, photos). Being new to Thailand I assumed this was a 3rd world country problem. But I will now assume the fault was not the thai postal service's and try again.

-

-----------

I would like to hear more from others about the dependability of their mail/package arrival. I read from many Thai postings complaining about lost mail/package among Thais, both international and domestic. So I wonder if

ProThaiExpat's experience is an exception. I am not surprised with lotus eater's experience.

Glad for ProThaiExpat though.

I've had problems in the past and will now only have important stuff sent to me via special mail. One item that was supposed to take a week took around 2 months to arrive. USPS Priority mail has never been a problem. If I'm mailing anything of importance to the US or elsewhere abroad, I use EMS. I've also used EMS to send things to Thailand from Taiwan and that worked out well.

Edited by vermin on arrival

Never had any problem using the Thai Postal service when I have registered packages, outgoing or incoming nearly a 100% record.

However, as already pointed out, if you get stuff delivered using a courier you are more likely to face heavy customs duty. If you don't register normal mail there is more chance it will go missing or be stolen.

I bought a 4 DVD set mailed from Amazon and was hit with a 2,000THB+ bill, more than I paid for the DVDs including delivery by courier.

A Customs Official once told me to get everything sent over using regular mail whenever possible, that way there is less chance of them checking.

And use your noggin' - register all packages coming in or going out.

Well I've never used fedex or the other courier services. USPS is just special post using the US Postal Service.

Certainly, getting hit by a 2,000 baht customs bill needs to be avoided. You got really screwed there man.

I have had problems with things sent regular Thai Post arriving in a timely fashion. One time this was sent USPS one week delivery and arrived in two months(I have no idea where things went wrong on that one). I just never get things that are not a document or small goods sent to me here. If these types of packages are important I use one of the US Postal services special mailings(2 or 3 day delivery) services, or I use EMS ,which are both significantly less expensive than the major courier services. I've never had to pay duties on the small packages I get sent in this way.

I go back home once a year and get all the important stuff I need from abroad and then just carry them through at the airport.

I guess if you need to get something sent maybe registered mail might work; it appears to have worked for you.

i have ordered lots of things from ebay and all, big or small, arrive fine and i have never been charged duties for anything. the shipping costs to thailand are quite high though.

Hi,

Just would like to add that I used to buy CAR SEAT ( for kid 3-11 yrs, the weight is about 5-6 kilos) by EbAY. The seller was in USA, I was in Switzerland. I told him to send by economy post to THAILAND. So he sent it by US post (by sea). The cost of delivery is 50 USD, and the price of carseat is 26 USD. :o

But I couldn't find this good price in Thailand / Swiss. I think it 's worth payment.

Car seat arrived safely and sent to our Thai house by Thai post, the box was not opened to check and no duty was paid. It took about 35 days from the date that it was ship out from USA port. So I considered that the pacakage was not late delviery.

Occationally, I also bought some creams for my in laws in thailand. Little packaged was sent by post and delivery safely to his house in Thailand.

Regards,

Lakdee

• 3 weeks later...

hello i buy and sell on ebay, ive had over 50 items in to thailand like sneakers heavy things, from america england all over the world ive never had any tax only the post office in thailand charge me 7 baht every time, for there handleing or something, it was in thai couldnt read.

Every place in the world if you buying a item make sure befor you bid you ask the seller if they can mark the item as a gift and to the value of £15 or $30 and a birthday present, which then will get it in to thailand no problem. thanks hope this helps