Visiting Visa For My Wife To The Uk

Im looking for some advice regarding getting my wife a visiting visa to the UK. Ive been in Thailand for 1 year we also have a 9 month old son who already has his passports so he is ok. We are planning to go the UK the beginning of October for 3 or 4 weeks, just for a holiday and so I can sort out somethings over there and my family back home can spend some time with our son and also to see if my wife likes the place as we may move there in a few years time.

Weve got the forms and know what we have to do but I dont really think we have everything we need and I feel my wife may struggle. Is it best to get someone from home to sponser her? She doesnt have a job here as she is a fulltime mum, she doesnt have her name on any land or properties. Her bank account is pretty much empty as we use mine and i get out cash everyweek for living costs. Any advice appriciated.

Jed

Im looking for some advice regarding getting my wife a visiting visa to the UK. Ive been in Thailand for 1 year we also have a 9 month old son who already has his passports so he is ok. We are planning to go the UK the beginning of October for 3 or 4 weeks, just for a holiday and so I can sort out somethings over there and my family back home can spend some time with our son and also to see if my wife likes the place as we may move there in a few years time.

Weve got the forms and know what we have to do but I dont really think we have everything we need and I feel my wife may struggle. Is it best to get someone from home to sponser her? She doesnt have a job here as she is a fulltime mum, she doesnt have her name on any land or properties. Her bank account is pretty much empty as we use mine and i get out cash everyweek for living costs. Any advice appriciated.

Jed

Hi Jared,

Remember your posts from when your Boy was born.

In a bit of a rush now, the boy is restless and the wife is sending black looks :o

However, if the good guys haven't posted by tomorrow I will try further research and answers if I can, tomorrow.

Firstly, need a few more answers:

Your wife will generally require a reason to return, do you have a job or relevant reason to return, as she appears a little lacking in this area, purely evidential terms only.

A sponsor, in my opinion would be good, showing a place to stay and a welcome letter with evidence.

Can you support yourselves whilst there?

The more knowledgeable guys may not see these as a requirement, but I feel they might be, listen to them.

I presume you have evidential proof of being together, both names on addresses etc. The boy is a pretty convincing fact, but you might still need to show evidence of you being a family unit.

I haven't time now, but I will search again tomorrow, if they haven't responded.

In the mean time, you have the forms look through them and see where you feel you might fall down and then ask direct questions relating to them queries, others will probably follow.

Good Luck

Moss

Hi Moss

providing evidence seems to be the problem were going to have. We have no reason to return, she does not own and land or property. I work as a freelance digital artist and get all my work over the internet so i dont have a job in Thailand, im still paying all my taxes back in the UK, being resistered as self employed.

Ive have plenty of money in my account for the trip but my wifes account is bare to the bone as we dont use it although it could be topped up if needed. Well be staying at my mothers house for the duration of the trip so i guess it woul dbe a good idea to get a letter from her or maybe have her sponser my wife.

Thinking about it we dont even have evidence that we live together, i paid for a years rent at my property in cash, weve been at this place about 8 months so we have 4 more months here. We dont have any contract or anything for this it was done without all that. All the internet, phone, electric and any other bills I can think of are in my wifes name. I have a feeling that its going to be extremely hard to get her a visa for this trip as we dont really have proof of anything. Maybe I could get a leter or something of the landlord and get her to sign it that may help. We was also in a condo for the first few months but im not sure if my name was on that ill have to find out.

Jed

Jared,

The purpose of your wife's application is very valid, and that will carry some weight: after all, it is only natural that your family would wish to spend some time with your son. Additionally, they can't really doubt the existence of your relationship as you are married and you have a child, too. The only real problem I can foresee is demonstrating that you intend to return to Thailand with your wife at the end of the trip. What immigration status do you have in Thailand?

Scouse.

Hi Scouse

Thanks for the reply, im currently at the end of a non immigration multiple type O visa. I have until the beginning of October so when this runs out and we plan to go back. Whilst im there ill apply for another non O mulitple and come back on that, I know I could get a marrage visa and not have to do the boarder runs but to be honest I dont really mind doing them every now and then.

My wifes also mentioned that she might be able to get her name added to some land that her dad owns in Korat but im not shore how long that would take and how many other members of her family have there names on that land.

Jed

My wifes also mentioned that she might be able to get her name added to some land that her dad owns in Korat but im not shore how long that would take and how many other members of her family have there names on that land.

I wouldn't worry about getting her name on the land, it wouldn't carry too much weight anyway. Better you concentrate on proving your relationship and showing that your (jared) life is based in Thailand and that after your visit you will definitely be returning to Thailand because of your business. That then will be your wife's reason to return.

Get your parents to invite you to stay with them which will satisfy the accomodation and if you are struggling to show funds they can also offer the sponsorship but they will have to prove the means to do so with bank statements and maybe payslips.

Any idea how much in funds I would have to show in my bank account for the trip. How formal would the letter have to be from my mum stating that she is allowing us to stay there for the duration. Does anyone know of any websites with information on all this documentation stuff?

Cheers

Any idea how much in funds I would have to show in my bank account for the trip. How formal would the letter have to be from my mum stating that she is allowing us to stay there for the duration. Does anyone know of any websites with information on all this documentation stuff?

There is no specific amount that you will be required to show to fund the trip

The letter from your mum should state that she invites you and your family to stay with you, she should state that she owns/rents the property, the size, how many people are currently living there and that there will be sufficient space to house you. She can also say as you will be a family she expects to provide food and/or transport for the duration of your stay.

See Guidance for Visitors and Sponsors guide and list of documents for visitor visa

• 1 month later...

We going to collect my wifes passport on Tuesday. After applying for her 6 month visit visa we was told to wait 3 days and then check on the internet the status. Didnt work so we made a call and they told us to come and collect her passport and that they could not tell us if the application had not been sucsessfull. She was also never asked to go in for an interview, good or bad news in people experience?

There is no specific amount that you will be required to show to fund the trip

The letter from your mum should state that she invites you and your family to stay with you, she should state that she owns/rents the property, the size, how many people are currently living there and that there will be sufficient space to house you. She can also say as you will be a family she expects to provide food and/or transport for the duration of your stay.

See Guidance for Visitors and Sponsors guide and list of documents for visitor visa

Hi Guys,

I have been with my girlfriend for nearly 6 months now. I am thinking of going back to Uk for 3 - 6 months and would like to take my girlfriend with me. She as a Thai passport, but we are not married. Does the above also apply to me and my girlfriend or are the rules different if you are not married.

All replys and suggestions are greatly appriciated.

Regards

Jeff

In terms of visit visa applications, the rules are the same whether the applicant is married or not.

Scouse.

Hi Scouse,

Thankyou for replying.....one more question....how long can my girlfriend apply for a visa vist...3 months...6 months or 12 months????

again I thankyou for your help and advice.

regards

Jeff

Block, it is a 6 month Visit Visa. It's upto you how long you tell the embassy you want your visit for. I.E. she could say she wants to visit for 2 months but they will still give her a 6 month visa. But they WILL make a note about her saying she only wanted to go for 2 months.

• 3 weeks later...
Block, it is a 6 month Visit Visa. It's upto you how long you tell the embassy you want your visit for. I.E. she could say she wants to visit for 2 months but they will still give her a 6 month visa. But they WILL make a note about her saying she only wanted to go for 2 months.

do you think that would be ok or could she get into trouble doing that?

would make my application look better if we applied for 3 months insted of 6.

do you think that would be ok or could she get into trouble doing that?

would make my application look better if we applied for 3 months insted of 6.

If her reason to return is her job it will be difficult to convince the ECO that she will be allowed a 6 month holiday from work and for a first visit you would have more likelyhood of success if you apply for a modest period.

However, whatever you ask for stick to it as although the visa will more than likely still be issued for a 6 month visit as standard, if she applies for another visa at a later date she could be refused for not sticking to her request period on this visit.

Edited by Mahout Angrit