Ultralight flight carry on luggage.

10 minutes ago, Nemises said:

IMG_1303.jpeg

I use a Crumpler backpack.

Not unlike the suggested above.

The best selling point for me was a seperate slot for the laptop. I do not have to open the main bag.

MAN-OPBP-16-01-001_Laptop.webp.cfd2426cfaa742730276473d58294ece.webp

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1

I bought mine at Decathlon Sports.  They have a great selection, a warranty, and decent pricing. 

If you want an even lower price, just about every street market and mall in Thailand has hawkers of backpacks and laptop bags.

This is my favorite for real trips, though I have some of their cheaper laptop bags and they're all good.

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en-TH/p/hiking-backpack-32l-nh-escape-500-quechua-8649351.html

Edit:  It has a separate sleeve for laptops, very convenient for getting through security.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I bought mine at Decathlon Sports.  They have a great selection, a warranty, and decent pricing. 

If you want an even lower price, just about every street market and mall in Thailand has hawkers of backpacks and laptop bags.

Many thanks. Airlines are so strict on luggage now that I want to make sure it goes as carry on.

1 minute ago, Asquith Production said:

Many thanks. Airlines are so strict on luggage now that I want to make sure it goes as carry on.

I've actually taken mine on several flights as a "purse" in addition to my hardside carry-on.  I keep waiting for them to call me on it, but so far, so good...  Of course, that depends on the airline.

• Love It 1

Find Check Point products....I got mine at Worowat Market in CM....

It's put up with years of international travel....Many sizes & styles to choose from.....I believe mine is 35L....It might be a 40 & I use as a carry on.....Very durable & useful features ....

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Strict on what? I fly twice a week with both my normal day pack as well as a small hard suitcase. They do not even check weight as you can check in yourself nowadays, I always have much more than 7KG.

Stop spreading nonsense, it's allowed in the first place to carry 2 items (a day pack or girl bag doesnt count as the main one).

Even they make a issue you can always put your day pack temporary in the small suitcase and take it out after again.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I use a Crumpler backpack.

Not unlike the suggested above.

The best selling point for me was a seperate slot for the laptop. I do not have to open the main bag.

MAN-OPBP-16-01-001_Laptop.webp.cfd2426cfaa742730276473d58294ece.webp

I didn't realise backpacks had gone up that much in price but if it is rugged enough then that's no problem

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Strict on what? I fly twice a week with both my normal day pack as well as a small hard suitcase. They do not even check weight as you can check in yourself nowadays, I always have much more than 7KG.

Stop spreading nonsense, it's allowed in the first place to carry 2 items (a day pack or girl bag doesnt count as the main one).

Take a chill pill I am talking more about dimensions than weight

8 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Even they make a issue you can always put your day pack temporary in the small suitcase and take it out after again.

I don't know if it's going on in Thailand, but there's at least one cut rate airline in the USA that's blowing up on the interwebs for stationing a grouchy lady at the carry-on measuring template in front of each gate.  If the bag doesn't slide in and out freely, she sends them over to pay for excess baggage.  It's a new cash grab revenue stream. 

Rumor has it, the grouchy ladies make a bonus on every fee...  But I doubt it.  I think they're grouchy because even they don't feel right about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't know if it's going on in Thailand, but there's at least one cut rate airline in the USA that's blowing up on the interwebs for stationing a grouchy lady at the carry-on measuring template in front of each gate.  If the bag doesn't slide in and out freely, she sends them over to pay for excess baggage.  It's a new cash grab revenue stream. 

Rumor has it, the grouchy ladies make a bonus on every fee...  But I doubt it.  I think they're grouchy because even they don't feel right about it.

Cheap/budget airlines like Air Asia can get quite strict with cabin luggage. 

If you are outside the permitted parameters then 'excess' baggage fees at the airport can be horrendous. 

I had an occurrence flying from Vientiane to Bkk.  We had 2 carry on bags.  Total weight 14kg so within the limit.  However one bag was 9kg with the other 5kg.  They weren't happy and wanted to charge an excess on the 9kg bag. 

Simple, we rearranged the contents so both were 7kg.  Once thru security etc we rearranged back to original packing. 

Pedantic? You betcha.  Just a money grabbing debacle that's getting more common with budget Airlines. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Of course a higher fare class will provide greater flexibility but the average passenger is much more restricted.

If you can put a backpack in a cabin size suitcase what would be the point in having the suitcase.

"Strict on what? I fly twice a week with both my normal day pack as well as a small hard suitcase. They do not even check weight as you can check in yourself nowadays, I always have much more than 7KG.

Stop spreading nonsense, it's allowed in the first place to carry 2 items (a day pack or girl bag doesnt count as the main one)."

Welcome to EU and try same 😉

They rob people like you at boarding gate...

I fly El Cheapo" RyanAir a lot and see it on every flight.

My last flight prices;

Ticket 13,97 euros, no luggage

1st legal carry on 25,50e

Same if over weight at gate 79,00euros!

- so, as you see, luggage costs more than ticket...

5 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

"Strict on what? I fly twice a week with both my normal day pack as well as a small hard suitcase. They do not even check weight as you can check in yourself nowadays, I always have much more than 7KG.

Stop spreading nonsense, it's allowed in the first place to carry 2 items (a day pack or girl bag doesnt count as the main one)."

Welcome to EU and try same 😉

They rob people like you at boarding gate...

I fly El Cheapo" RyanAir a lot and see it on every flight.

My last flight prices;

Ticket 13,97 euros, no luggage

1st legal carry on 25,50e

Same if over weight at gate 79,00euros!

- so, as you see, luggage costs more than ticket...

Ryanair does not fly from Thailand and international flights,which I want the luggage for are stricter as you can see from other forum members

5 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Cheap/budget airlines like Air Asia can get quite strict with cabin luggage. 

If you are outside the permitted parameters then 'excess' baggage fees at the airport can be horrendous. 

I had an occurrence flying from Vientiane to Bkk.  We had 2 carry on bags.  Total weight 14kg so within the limit.  However one bag was 9kg with the other 5kg.  They weren't happy and wanted to charge an excess on the 9kg bag. 

Simple, we rearranged the contents so both were 7kg.  Once thru security etc we rearranged back to original packing. 

Pedantic? You betcha.  Just a money grabbing debacle that's getting more common with budget Airlines. 

I had similar departing from Brisbane once.  There was a woman checking carry on weights and dimensions for all flights.  My laptop bag was just over 7kg, so I removed the laptop, carried it separately until I was out of sight of her and put it back in the bag.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Nemises said:

IMG_1303.jpeg

I like using a backpack for my laptop. 

I dont like backpacks to put all my clothes in.

You are allowed 2 pieces - so the backpack with the laptop goes under the seat and the carry on with clothing goes in the overhead bin.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, impulse said:

I've actually taken mine on several flights as a "purse" in addition to my hardside carry-on.  I keep waiting for them to call me on it, but so far, so good...  Of course, that depends on the airline.

So you are one of those who takes up all the overhead (hatracks with Emirates ) space.

I've just ordered cabin luggage from Lazada, inexpensive hard sided for just over 300 baht. All within allowable limits. 

Whenever I travel I try to keep within the  carry on allowances because sure a rain, I'll be the one to be picked out if I was over. 

I haven't used check in for the last 9 years. Travel light is the way to go, no waiting at carousel fir your bag to finally turn up.  It's been a long road getting my missus to do the same. 

When we returned from NZ she had 4 check in bags and used the conbined allowance of 64kg!

I had 1 cabin bag.   What a hassle getting those bags from Don Muang to Mo Chit train station and up to Korat. 

We're heading back to NZ next month and she has been told... 1 cabin bag 7kg total. No check in baggage.  Either she pays for it or it gets left here. 

Easier to transfer with just cabin luggage... Less chance of getting bumped. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There are now 2 different standards for cabin luggage size,  that is free of any extra charge.

The usual standard size that major international airlines allow a (55x38x22 cm) but the weight is usually limited to 7kgs and those f#348ss@rs  can also make surprise weight checks at the gate on boarding.

But be wary of the new imposed downsizing of free cabin bag format with carriers like RyanAir, EasyJet etc. that is now 45x36x20 but they can allow upto 15 kg weight.