1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O Visa WITHOUT having a Thai bank-account

My immediate reaction on the above < getting a 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O Visa WITHOUT having a Thai bank-account > was that that is not possible.  But it seems that it IS possible at some Thai Immigration Offices.

And here is the case: Today I met somebody who was already staying 3 years in Thailand on 1-year extensions based on his original Non Imm O Visa who does NOT have a Thai bank-account.

And he was not bvllsh1tting me, as he showed me his Passport with the approved 1-year extensions for his Non Imm O Visa based on marriage.

Here some background:

3 years ago this Swedish guy applied for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at the Thai Embassy in Sweden, which was granted.  He then moved to Thailand and at the end of the 90-days of that Non Imm O Visa he applied for the 1-year extension. 

He did - and still does - NOT have a Thai bank-account, but he uses the income-method and provides the Imm Office with the pension-statement from his Swedish pension-provider that he receives monthly an amount in excess of 40.000 THB as pension income.  He has that document officially translated in Thai and stamped by the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok. 

And that document is accepted by his local Immigration Office as proof of income with no need of showing transfers to a personal Thai bank-account.

Obviously a large number of Imm Offices would NOT accept the above, and would want him to show proof of having made monthly transfers of +40.000,- THB  to his personal Thai bank-account.  But indeed that's a local Imm Office interpretation, and HIS local Imm Office does not require it, as it is not in the official regulations that you need to transfer the pension-income funds to a personal Thai bank-account in order to be eligible for the 1-year extension.

So instead of going through the hassle of having your pension-income transferred to your Thai bank-account, and getting hold of the Bank-account statement and Bank-transfers of monthly income, it would be worthwhile to check with your local Imm Office if they actually need the Bank-documents or whether an Embassy stamped document of your home-country's pension-provider would be accepted for meeting the financial requirement. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Obviously a large number of Imm Offices would NOT accept the above,

That statement is totally incorrect, and people from any embassy in Thailand that still offers the affidavit of income from abroad notary letter can use that method for proof of funds to meet the requirements for their extension.

The problem is that the US, UK, and Australian embassies all stopped issuing that letter at the end of 2018 beginning of 2019 😮 

So the only way people from those countries can meet proof of funds should they decide to use monthly income method is by international transfer of the required amount, each month, every month, for the previous 12 months before they apply for their next extension.

Edited by Tod Daniels
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Obviously a large number of Imm Offices would NOT accept the above, and would want him to show proof of having made monthly transfers of +40.000,- THB  to his personal Thai bank-account.

That has NEVER been a requirement when using an embassy letter.

You've made that up, or you've mixed it up with what those from the three countries whose embassies ceased to issue income confirmation letters have to do nowadays.

In other words, your post is complete nonsense. 

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

My immediate reaction on the above < getting a 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O Visa WITHOUT having a Thai bank-account > was that that is not possible.  But it seems that it IS possible at some Thai Immigration Offices.

And here is the case: Today I met somebody who was already staying 3 years in Thailand on 1-year extensions based on his original Non Imm O Visa who does NOT have a Thai bank-account.

And he was not bvllsh1tting me, as he showed me his Passport with the approved 1-year extensions for his Non Imm O Visa based on marriage.

Here some background:

3 years ago this Swedish guy applied for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at the Thai Embassy in Sweden, which was granted.  He then moved to Thailand and at the end of the 90-days of that Non Imm O Visa he applied for the 1-year extension. 

He did - and still does - NOT have a Thai bank-account, but he uses the income-method and provides the Imm Office with the pension-statement from his Swedish pension-provider that he receives monthly an amount in excess of 40.000 THB as pension income.  He has that document officially translated in Thai and stamped by the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok. 

And that document is accepted by his local Immigration Office as proof of income with no need of showing transfers to a personal Thai bank-account.

Obviously a large number of Imm Offices would NOT accept the above, and would want him to show proof of having made monthly transfers of +40.000,- THB  to his personal Thai bank-account.  But indeed that's a local Imm Office interpretation, and HIS local Imm Office does not require it, as it is not in the official regulations that you need to transfer the pension-income funds to a personal Thai bank-account in order to be eligible for the 1-year extension.

So instead of going through the hassle of having your pension-income transferred to your Thai bank-account, and getting hold of the Bank-account statement and Bank-transfers of monthly income, it would be worthwhile to check with your local Imm Office if they actually need the Bank-documents or whether an Embassy stamped document of your home-country's pension-provider would be accepted for meeting the financial requirement. 

The whole point of the OP was to highlight that you don't always need a bank account to stay here legit. Interesting indeed.

How does he get his dosh to live on?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The whole point of the OP was to highlight that you don't always need a bank account to stay here legit. Interesting indeed.

How does he get his dosh to live on?

ATM?, Wife?.  Not hard really.

51 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

The requirement is either'

1. 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months. OR,
2. 12 x 40K monthly transfers to a Thai bank, OR.

3. An Embassy Income letter.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

IAnd if the card gets stolen, lost or damaged? I don’t see why he doesn’t open a bank account here but if I lost a US card would call one of my bank and they send a replacement by FEDEX or UPS.      

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

And if the card gets stolen, lost or damaged?

You left out fraudulent transaction.

Yesterday unauthorized transaction on my account in Sydney Australia.

Then a second attempt.

Picked up by my Oz bank.

Fortunately they have 24/7 for overseas issues. Rang today and they will issue new card which will go to my sister address and then she can forward photo both sides and things back to normal.

Bit off topic and only post as might be good advice for others.

Of course I will not have the physical card.

My earlier post stands up....

Why would anyone live in Thailand without a Thai bank account 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well OP says guy was married so can easily use his Wife's bank account to transfer/withdraw baht to live

Good point. Actually didn't think of that.

Would imagine almost zero would use that arrangement. 

Also OP did not specify extension based on marriage 

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good point. Actually didn't think of that.

Would imagine almost zero would use that arrangement. 

Also OP did not specify extension based on marriage 

Are you sure?

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

...he showed me his Passport with the approved 1-year extensions for his Non Imm O Visa based on marriage.

Edited by Pattaya57

For posts above re marriage.

Ok... Hopefully divorce never happens.

For the many using extensions based on retirement how do they live in Thailand without bank account.

I hate the tax topics however ongoing transfers to Thai wife or Thai partner might end up problematic in future. 

17 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Are you sure?

Big deal.

The thread is not about marriage .

You are not. If you were Swedish as per example in OP, would you have a Thai bank account.

Retorical question.

Of course you would 

Even if you were married you would have a Thai bank account..

57 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Big deal.

The thread is not about marriage .

You are not. If you were Swedish as per example in OP, would you have a Thai bank account.

Retorical question.

Of course you would 

Even if you were married you would have a Thai bank account..

The Swedish guy is already living 3 years in Thailand without a Thai bank-account.  He could of course withdraw funds from an ATM using his foreign debit or credit-card.  Or send money to himself using Western Union or similar service.  But obviously those are not the most economical ways of getting money, so I suggested to him that he opened a Thai bank-account.  Having a valid Non Imm O extension that shouldn't be too difficult for him.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

And if the card gets stolen, lost or damaged?

I've heard that some people have more than just one ATM card. Just a rumor though.

Seriously though, we don't even know if that guy is in Thailand year-round. For all we know, he might fly back every 1-2 months and carry cash.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

He could of course withdraw funds from an ATM using his foreign debit or credit-card. 

That is a nonsense.

Recently I had issue with one of my Oz bank accounts.

Not the one I posted earlier.

I decided to use and ATM which is attached to my condo building.

What a huge mistake.

Cost me a LOT and it was debit account 

OP, read first 2 replies.

This is nonsense thread

6 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

The Swedish guy is already living 3 years in Thailand without a Thai bank-account.  He could of course withdraw funds from an ATM using his foreign debit or credit-card.  Or send money to himself using Western Union or similar service.  But obviously those are not the most economical ways of getting money, so I suggested to him that he opened a Thai bank-account.  Having a valid Non Imm O extension that shouldn't be too difficult for him.

Or at least a Wise account + card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Seriously though, we don't even know if that guy is in Thailand year-round. For all we know, he might fly back every 1-2 months and carry cash.

In my first couple of years I carried big bucks every trip from Oz and went to best money exchange in Bangkok which is SuperRich green.

Guess what...that is inferior to WISE