The Overnight Bkk-chiang Mai Train

lotus eater

I've once taken the overnight train - 2nd class a/c. There was a rack of moderate size beside the lower seat on the aisle side. Is there a place at the end of the carriage or elsewhere to put a bigger bag? And is it secure there?

I will be doing this journey at month-end with two bags - one of them a biggish suitcase.

Is a particular train/express preferable to another at a different departure time in regard to this ;uggage space/storage problem?

there isnt usually a separate place in the car for you to put a big bag. if it is stored at the end of the carriage, there isnt any way it can be secure. if it is in the car beside you, it may block the corridor. you could always try first class? that way there is plenty of room in the cabin with you. take the special express as its much more comfortable either way.

must go to the dining car, too! thats always an experience you will never forget!

I've had some pretty big bags fit in the rack next to my seat/bunk on that train. I do use a wire lock to secure them to the rack as a token safety effort not that it would really stop a thief.

I have also used the "string method" before as well. I was traveling alone with about $15,000 worth of A/V gear and desperately needed some sleep and unobtrusively tied a bit of string between my ankle and the bag. When I awoken in the early hours by a violent tug of the string to find another farang trying to "borrow" my camera bag I was glad I had invested in this inexpensive security device.

you could always try first class? that way there is plenty of room in the cabin with you.

I have heard that with two people in a first class cabin it is very tight and not much room for luggage.

Has anyone trusted their 'excess' luggage to the parcel carriage usually at the other end from first class?

I would be interested to know as I have thought about making the CM trip with a bicycle.

you could always try first class? that way there is plenty of room in the cabin with you.

I have heard that with two people in a first class cabin it is very tight and not much room for luggage.

That's absolutely correct. With two sharing a first-class cabin, there is very little room for bags. You could always pay the single supplement and have the cabin all to yourself, but by that point the train fare is becoming a bit pricey.

That's absolutely correct. With two sharing a first-class cabin, there is very little room for bags. You could always pay the single supplement and have the cabin all to yourself, but by that point the train fare is becoming a bit pricey.

So you are eliminating even the 1st class option; and the majority warns of risks in 2nd. The option of a very long journey sitting up, or even reclining slightly, in a bus is a non starter for me. So am I really going to have to take a plane?

Would much prefer the train....Is someone really going to cart off the locked suitcase? Would the carriage caretaker not find a solution for a tip in the morning? Has anyone ever inquired of an official if there's a luggage wagon? Am looking for someone to offer an encouraging pointer to a solution or reassuring similar experience.

So you are eliminating even the 1st class option; and the majority warns of risks in 2nd. The option of a very long journey sitting up, or even reclining slightly, in a bus is a non starter for me. So am I really going to have to take a plane?

I'm not. I'm simply saying that to make first-class work if you are laden with a number of bags, you should reserve the entire cabin for yourself rather than sharing with a stranger. Fare should be about 1900 baht total.

My Friend and I took that trip, second class. His camera bag was stolen (we are pretty sure it was an employee)

Went on the train once to Samui, when the guy on the opposite aisle went to the toilet the steward came up pretending to tidy his bed and started looking thru his bags, only stopped when I stood up to watch him. all done in plain sight of everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken that 2nd class sleeper train 3 times in the last 2 months, I have never had a problem or seen anyone else have a problem with bags. I had a fairly big rucksack with me, and I was still able to haul it into the bed with me, I used it kind of like a pillow. It still fitted in the wire ack as well, they are pretty big. do try to reserve a bottom bunk when booking.

How big is the suitcase? I'd be surprised if it doesnt fit into the luggage rack or at least propped up beside your bed. If you use common sense, lock it up, tie string to your ankle if you feel the need, and you should be fine. I always try to have at least a brief conversation with the folk around me... I dunno if they are less likely to steal off me after this, but I feel a bit better anyway!